xisto Community
sheepdog

Windows 8?

So what is everyones opinion of Windows 8? I was in a computer store the other day messing around with a new computer that had 8 on it, and oh my dear, it is SO different! It gives me terrible pains to even think about having to learn everything all over again. I have XP now in case it makes any difference. I had a rental computer for awhile, and it had Windows 7 on it, it was not too bad to figure out but 8 is just off in a new realm to me. I remember when Vista came out and everybody hated it, so was just wondering what the concensis is about 8. The guy at the computer store did tell me that probably none of my old software will work with 8. I have a photo editing program that I have used for years and I know how to fix my pictures in my sleep I've done it so much, so that is another thing I would have to do is find some other program and figure that out too. I'm sure nothing else I have now would work on it either, including Front Page, my microsoft office, which also includes the program I use to make my web site graphics, and maybe not even my Zuma game. I just hate that you have to buy all this crap new! It's bad enough to be out big bucks for the computer but the softwware and programs eat your lunch too!

I honestly can make up my mind if I want to just get a refurbished computer with Windows 7 on it or shoot for the moon and get a new one with 8. The new computer I was looking at was an All in one, touch screen. I've never had a touch screen, not even on a phone, so there is something else again. The big problem I see with just upgrading to 7 is that it will make me just one year closer to being obsolete again.

Hi!
If you are out looking for a new computer, you should get yourself a Windows 8 computer because the interface is here to stay. It is actually pretty good though you have to remind yourself that the Start Menu is now the Home Screen (or at least that's what I like to call it). You could launch applications by clicking on them in the home screen just as you could with the start menu. The difference is that the home screen gives you a lot of information from applications that are not running - they can tell you the temperature, the stock prices, items on your To-Do list, and the news. The old start menu wasn't even close to being able to do that - the nearest thing we had was gadgets in Windows Vista and Windows 7, but Microsoft decided to discontinue support for gadgets. They always get rid of all the cool stuff.
You will be able to use most of your old software if it ran on Windows Vista or Windows 7 (make sure it's regular Windows 8 and not "Windows 8 RT"; the RT edition is for smartphone-like devices). I still use the Windows Vista display driver on Windows 8 because my laptop manufacturer decided to not support Windows 7 or Windows 8. You may have to use a newer version of MS Office on Windows 8 (Office 2013 works; I'm not sure if Office 2010 would work; anything older is going to be a write-off).
The touch interface is great for working with the Windows 8 home screen, and for some apps that are built for Windows 8 (not too many; it's just the phone-like apps). Instead of an all-in-one, I would choose a laptop because those all-in-one screens are huge, most often with 23" or larger displays. Back in the 90s, we had televisions that were larger than 21" and computer monitors that were about 14"/15".

Well, I chickened out of Windows 8. It's just too weird. Like being dropped off on an alien planet. Went into Best Buy last week and was looking at all the different computers, he told me they all had Windows 8 but then all of a sudden he remembered that some business had ordered too many new computers and they did have a few new ones with Windows 7 on them that the company didn't take. I know I really should of gone with 8, in technology today even if you go to the top of the mountain, it won't be long with all the advances we have until you are back at the bottom again, so just going half way up is probably not a good idea. But it was just bad enough that I had to be out the money for the new computer, then learning a new computer, and then I'm pretty sure none of my current programs would work. Remember guys, I'm still using Microsoft Photo Draw to make my graphics for my web site. That program was dropped years ago.

So far I'm getting along ok with the new one. Still having my usual share of issues though. I got them to throw in a rollerball mouse instead of a regular one, and this one is way different than the roller ball I was using, so it's driving me a little crazy. I've gotten some of my software installed, but haven't been brave enough to try my camera stuff yet. I'm sure I'll be in here a lot asking for help. Speaking of that, XP used to have a little down arrow between the forward and back button that would let you jump back several pages at one time, I can't find that on 8 now, and that was something I used a lot. Is it gone in Windows 7 or have they just hidden it from me? I also don't have my Explorer tool bar, or at least all of it, it has a Google one that is not particularly helpful at all. I miss file/open for starting new browser windows.