xisto Community

Made a trip to Alaska recently. We flew from Columbus, OH to Pheonix, AZ then onto Anchorage and took a bus up to Denali National Park. Spent 1 day on the 92 mile road trip to the "End of the Road" at Denali. What an interesting tour. Saw grizzlys, caribou,dall sheep, moose and seveal species of birds. We then took the Wilderness Express out of Denali to back to Anchorage, nice scenery on the way. We stayed at a bed and breakfast in Anchorage; Highland Glen Lodge. It was the most glorious housing possible. The breakfasts were absolutely out of this world. Can't brag enough on them. Cliff and Sheila, our hosts, were so accommodating, they even gave us transportation to the car rental. Also helped us decide where we wanted to go to see the sights.

Rented a car and went down to Seward along the arm of one of the inlets. Saw lots of glaciers along the way. After the night back in Anchorage we went back down to Portage Glacier and toured the glacier via boat. It was amazing. Wish we could have spent more time in Alaska.

The flight home was rather uncomfortable as we flew from Anchorage to Chicago, IL in a cramped plane. We were very disappointed in the position of the seats as my knees almost touched the seat ahead of me and I am only 5ft 2in.

All in all, we enjoyed ourselves.

Wow, sound like a really neat trip! Did you get to meet Sara Palin? :)

That would of been a real highlight for the trip, at least to me! I enjoyed watching that TV show they had on for awhile, Sara Paline's Alaska. It had several different episodes that highlighted many of the recreational activites and work in Alaska, it was a very interesting TV show, and showed a lot of what I'm sure you saw in the beautiful scenery of the great state.

sounds like a day at the zoo not a road trip lol.

a road trip is hours or even days in a car with kids screaming and fighting in the back

but serious sounds like a neat time wish I was there.

Wow, sound like a really neat trip! Did you get to meet Sara Palin? :)

That would of been a real highlight for the trip, at least to me! I enjoyed watching that TV show they had on for awhile, Sara Paline's Alaska. It had several different episodes that highlighted many of the recreational activites and work in Alaska, it was a very interesting TV show, and showed a lot of what I'm sure you saw in the beautiful scenery of the great state.

No, we didn't get to meet Sara. Yes, the scenery was beautiful.

sounds like a day at the zoo not a road trip lol.

a road trip is hours or even days in a car with kids screaming and fighting in the back

but serious sounds like a neat time wish I was there.

Sorry, there were no children on this trip. 4 adults, 3 of whom are senior citizens and one 29 year old. If you ever get a chance to go to Alaska, go!

maybe I will if I ever get the chance, Mich

don't think I am the sort of people for road trips though last one I took was from

County Derry (N.Ireland), to County Donegal (Southern Ireland) even though it maybe took 2 hours It felt like days

sitting in a backseat with my Brother and His Then Girl Friend with no room for my legs and a sleeping bag taking up the room the only thing good about the trip was watching the mobile phone signal changing from UK to IE.

I feel sorry for anyone who takes a road trip even though you had a great time and lots of wild animals to see you are lucky to see a fox, badger or hedgehog, or a bat or a hawk here but you saw bears (something we can only see at the Zoo) which is what my reference to the zoo was about.

well hope you had a lovely trip.

"a road trip is hours or even days in a car with kids screaming and fighting in the back"

Or, in my case, pups yapping, or even worse, pooping in their crate. I have never quite understood why a kennel's worth of poop doesn't smell even one tenth as bad as one tiny puppy size pile in the back of a car! And god forbid you ever haul bulldog pups. They won't poo in their crates, but they can pass gas that will make a green fog inside a car! Pups like catch you off guard too. They will be quiet as little mice, and then all of a sudden after an hour or 2 of silence, they will let out a screeching yelp that will startle the dickens out of you.

you really made me laugh sheepdog poor you with those dogs on road trips.

I can just imagine it now you sitting in the front seat and the dogs Cr**ing all over the place or farting lol.

I'm glad I could make you laugh. Glad I'm good for something. Yes, we have had some fun road trips over the years. Nothing like traveling with a car load, or worse yet, an RV load of dogs. The worst trip ever was one we made to Quartzsite. We were supposed to have a reservation at a nice Rv park, complete with electric, water and sewer. Since we were supposed to have such a nice set up I took a LOT of pups. I mean a bunch! Got there, got all set up and the owner came along the next day and said, oh, your selling dogs, you can't do that here! I was furious. My sister in law had made the reservation for us and she had told this dumb broad we had pups. We ended up in a cold camp, no electric, water or anything. Then our generator wouldn't run. It was awful trying to take care of that many pups with nothing to work with.

I hate taking a road trip you get tired, cramped, and sometimes need to go to the toilet its worst on a warm day and the sun is shining and is hot,

sorry about your road trip sheepdog but if there was no utilities (electric, water, etc) I hope you did not pay to much money and where at least able to get to a near shop and get some things like water, food and everything else but electric.

There are federal flight regulations for just about everything, so I wonder why there aren't federal flight regulations for the distance between seats and the amount of leg room. With cars, some parts of the world require a permit for modifications to the vehicle but they don't usually bother about the seats - you can toss out the original-equipment-of-the-manufacturer seats and put in ones with a thinner backrest to allow for more space for the rear occupants. Or, better yet, get rid of the rear seats and use the space to place a water dispenser, and space for additional luggage.
I sometimes wonder what people do when they don't have access to an RV park and the septic tanks are full. Perhaps they open up a man hole and pour it all down when no one is watching, in the middle of the night. For electricity, there are the recharging stations for electric vehicles could serve as a power source if an alternate charging circuit can be built into the RV. Getting water could be a tough one - you could go to a lake and filter the water, but the filtration could take hours. Pumping the water into the tanks while pausing for more of the water to filter sounds like it could take quite a lot of patience.

There are federal flight regulations for just about everything, so I wonder why there aren't federal flight regulations for the distance between seats and the amount of leg room. With cars, some parts of the world require a permit for modifications to the vehicle but they don't usually bother about the seats - you can toss out the original-equipment-of-the-manufacturer seats and put in ones with a thinner backrest to allow for more space for the rear occupants. Or, better yet, get rid of the rear seats and use the space to place a water dispenser, and space for additional luggage.

And I certainly wish they did have a standard to seat leg-room distances. The 29 year-old with us is 6'4" and built like a lumberjack. He was really uncomfortable.

Dumping stations for Rv's are pretty easy to find. Nearly all RV parks have them and I have seen some in other odd places. We even have one here, thought that is not it's usual purpose, it's the drain for the kennel wash down, but also works perfect for RV's.

I truly wish gas wasn't so high. I love traveling in the RV. SO much better than a car. You never have to worry about stopping for bathroom breaks. If you get tired of sitting you just get up and move around, you can even stretch out on a bed and be real comfy if you want to. And have a snack any time you want. Even a 6' 4" lumberjack can be comfortable traveling in an RV.

We actually did take the back seat out of our car. It gained us quite a bit of space, even though it would fold up, it still took too much room and we need the space to stack feed and puppy crates in the car, so the back seats went by by.