xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
mrdee

Does Microsoft Know Better Again?

Hello,

my sister bought a new laptop recently and is not really familiar with it, especially having used Windows XP all the time and now having switched to Windows 8.

She tells me that in Internet Explorer 10, her address bar is at the bottom.

I have looked through the various settings, but I cannot seem to find a setting where you can switch the address bar from the bottom to the top.

After all, I never use that Internet Explorer rubbish. (I have not used it for many years now).

Does anyone recognise the thing I am trying to explain?

Is there anyone who knows of a way (except from turning the laptop upside down :P ) to get the address bar back to normal?

Thank you for any advice.

Hi!
The Internet Explorer 10 in Windows 8 works in one of 2 modes - there is the tablet mode, which Microsoft used to call the Metro User Interface mode but after some trademark battle had to call it the Modern User Interface, and there is the Desktop mode.
If you open Internet Explorer 10 in desktop mode, you get the regular Internet Explorer window with the address bar on top. If you open Internet Explorer 10 in the Modern user interface, you would get the address bar at the bottom and a weird looking user interface if it is the first time that you are using Windows 8. Also, if you install a web browser like Mozilla Firefox, Chrome, or Opera, and you make one of those your default browser, your Internet Explorer would lose the ability to open in the Modern user interface meaning that Microsoft insists that you set Internet Explorer as your default web browser. I'm surprised this has not got people picking up their pitch forks and demanding that they be allowed to use the Modern user interface mode of Internet Explorer - perhaps not too many people use it?
It takes a while to get used to Windows 8, but once you do, you will not want to go back.

Hi Nitin,

you are quite right, I would not go back to previous OSes.

(Although I liked Windows 7 too).

However, I was asking this question for my sister, who has always used Windows XP and who is not very computer literate.

And since I do not use that Internet Explorer rubbish, I obviously did not have a clue, as a matter of fact, the first thing I did on my new laptop was install Google Chrome, so I have never seen the address bar at the bottom in Internet Explorer.

Anyway, thank you for your explanation.

Yes if you open in trough desktop it will open like the normal one, actually mirosoft has thought that all users will switch to tablets soon but i think they are wrong because tablet will never let you to do your works as fast as a PC with mouse and keyboard. No one knows what they have thought with themselves that have put the address bar in the bottom (maybe they have thought it would be easier for tablet users but in all android tablets address bars of default browser is in top and i've found no problem with it !)but the only thing i know is that flash player of tablet mode IE will not work correctly most of the times and i have to modify many things manually to make it work ! so anyway i don't recommend using IE in metro GUI.