xisto Community
The Simpleton

Yahoo Announces Acquisition Of Tumblr

After a few days of speculation, Yahoo! has officially announced that it will be acquiring tumblr, for $1.1 in cash. There's a notice put up on tumblr, featuring a letter from Yahoo! CEO - Marissa Mayer. She assures users of tumblr that Yahoo! is not going to tinker with the company, and that it will remain independent. All that Yahoo! wants is the bragging rights :P Okay, Yahoo! claims that tumblr can boost its traffic by over 20%. That's huge.

Now, what's interesting about this news is the fact that Yahoo! has only around $1.2 billion in hand (although the company does have assets valuing more than $17 billion). Although I have not looked deeply into the figures, it is rather interesting that the company is investing so much of money when...it doesn't have much money left!

No wait, what's really interesting about this news is that a lot of tumblr users are angry about the acquisition! They believe that Yahoo! will end up ruining the tumblr experience for everyone. This is the same sort of angry reaction that surfaced when facebook acquired Instagram for $1 billion a year ago. Yet today, Instagram actually has seen a growth in the number of users, and continues to remain largely independent.

So will tumblr also see similar growth patterns, or will the threat of an exodus be real this time? Only time will tell. The deal between the two companies will be finalised in the second half of this year.

I had a tumblr account for a very short period of time, in its early days. Although the community idea is fun, nothing beats the pleasure of staying in hosting your own website and staying in control all the time! :D It would be nice if this fresh cashflow allows tumblr to introduce and support (by connecting the blogs to the community) self-hosted blogs. Now that would be a really hot piece of news.

This is definitely an interesting event. Them giving 1.1 when they only have 1.2 isn't a big deal though -- they can liquidate things if they need to, but they are probably counting on a profit for the quarter, so the money shouldn't be an issue.

It's amazing how much some of these companies are going for though, and it helps put into perspective how much they are earning!

What exactly is Tumblr? What do they do? I've never heard of them.

I have noticed the internet getting more and more like the real world, getting more comercialized, more big companies buying little companies, and WAY less free stuff like there used to be when I first started a decade or there abouts ago. Remember all the free programs and sites there used to be? You could get web hosting, free music, free discusion groups, and all kinds of stuff. Sure don't see very much of that now.

What exactly is Tumblr? What do they do? I've never heard of them.

I have noticed the internet getting more and more like the real world, getting more comercialized, more big companies buying little companies, and WAY less free stuff like there used to be when I first started a decade or there abouts ago. Remember all the free programs and sites there used to be? You could get web hosting, free music, free discusion groups, and all kinds of stuff. Sure don't see very much of that now.

tumblr is a micro-blogging website, which doesn't limit blogging to just text. Users can post pictures, videos, voice clips and more to their blogs, which are all hosted on the company's servers. It became popular after users discovered that it also gave them a more "social" experience than other blogging platforms. And according to Wikipedia, the site has more than 108 million hosted blogs (it doesn't allow self-hosted blogs).

And it's no secret that the internet is becoming less and less "virtual". All this connectivity with the real world has brought the real and virtual worlds so close that...it's no longer fun to spend time online :P All that free stuff you mentioned is still there, but in a very different form, and most probably under one big commercial banner <_<

Thanks for the explaination.

I keep hoping that some day I will actually become internet savvy, but I fear that day is far far away yet. Seems like every time I turn around there is something else I can't figure out how to do.

tumblr is a micro-blogging website, which doesn't limit blogging to just text. Users can post pictures, videos, voice clips and more to their blogs, which are all hosted on the company's servers. It became popular after users discovered that it also gave them a more "social" experience than other blogging platforms. And according to Wikipedia, the site has more than 108 million hosted blogs (it doesn't allow self-hosted blogs).

And it's no secret that the internet is becoming less and less "virtual". All this connectivity with the real world has brought the real and virtual worlds so close that...it's no longer fun to spend time online :P All that free stuff you mentioned is still there, but in a very different form, and most probably under one big commercial banner <_<

Just to clarify, I think Tumblr is more used for the pictures and videos than anything else. I've never had an account there but any time I have seen a link to anyone's page it was for images (and rarely videos). I think that is why it has a somewhat nice population -- they kind of focus their attention on one thing instead of everything.

i was wondering what Tumblr was until someone mentioned the pictures then i remembered

it was that site with all the celebs, and the Queen and all those people showing off their images

videos, really wonderful some of the pictures, but i can't be doing with that sort of thing so am not a member

prob a great site for people who want to upload their people to show all their friends what they have being upto, or to upload their pictures they do not have room for on their computer.

i have my facebook (which i don't go on very often) and the computer (where i can store my photos if i want or put them on a disk)

but i do wish Yahoo congratulations in their new business how ever much my comment was not going that way.

i was wondering what Tumblr was until someone mentioned the pictures then i remembered

it was that site with all the celebs, and the Queen and all those people showing off their images

videos, really wonderful some of the pictures, but i can't be doing with that sort of thing so am not a member

prob a great site for people who want to upload their people to show all their friends what they have being upto, or to upload their pictures they do not have room for on their computer.

i have my facebook (which i don't go on very often) and the computer (where i can store my photos if i want or put them on a disk)

but i do wish Yahoo congratulations in their new business how ever much my comment was not going that way.

Don't feel bad about not being a member. Most people I know still haven't heard of them. And I, even knowing about the site for quite a while, still do not have an account, :P.

the only people I know have accounts on the service is celebs, the queen, and governments. how ever much I love some celebs from my favourite shows, I like the Queen and her corgis and some of her family, and want to find out about my government I don't think I would be much interested in the Picture of my favourite celebs bad hair day, the queen's walk about for the millionth time, or the photo ops of my government ministers never mind how lovely the pictures are. so like I said not my sort of thing, but I wish Yahoo good luck in their Business venture. and I am not feeling bad about not having an account rpgsearcherz don't worry. good day y'all and a good night.