xisto Community
k_nitin_r

10-Year-Old Indian Drives Ferrari

There's a video (click to follow the link) of a 10-year-old Indian driving a Ferrari. Obviously, it's without a license, and he drives it around with another child. Apparently, it is in Sobha City, Trissur, in the Indian state of Kerala. This isn't in an isolated area, but rather in a residential area where there are other kids playing on the streets too. The height of being filthy rich is when you hand over the keys of your Ferrari to a 10-year-old so he can drive it around.

OMG! Little kids around here are lucky if they get to drive a tractor or a riding lawn mower at that age! Do you think this kid may grow up to be a spoiled rotten brat???But he did seem to be handling the car pretty well. (I admit I only watched about half of the clip, he may of crashed in the end) Anyway the engine sounded like he was at least shifting properly, though I'm not sure how a kid that little could reach the clutch and gas peddle.

An update :- The father was arrested for letting the 9 year old drive with his 5 year old, BUT as usual, the law being flawed and all, they could not detain him for long instead letting him go after paying bail and some additional penalties on behalf of the kids..The father was quoted on saying that the joy ride was a prize for doing well in his exams, that he was sure that no accident would occur since the road was a private one...How stupid can one get?Honestly, I get really confused when I see such things happening, because on one hand, all parents have a level of understanding about their children and a level of trust... It was highly stupid of the parent to leave the boy alone in the car, however, on the other hand, you are looking at incorrect teaching because now the kid is left feeling entitled to such joy rides for every time he did good.As a kid, doing good at something meant a jump in the neighbor's pool or a popsicle... My parents have never let me drive the family cars despite having a license and being decades older than the first time I asked.The father obviously thought it was ok because the road was empty but what happens if the boy lost control due to some other idiot on a joyride? No seat belts, no adult to handle an emergency... Really sad because the boy is either going to grow up disregarding traffic rules or hopefully understand and follow them better.

Edited by velma (see edit history)

I did well on my exams and all I got was a congrats. I cannot believe his reasoning behind that behavior was "he did well on his exams". I don't care what the kid accomplished there was no excuse for that.

I did well on my exams and all I got was a congrats. I cannot believe his reasoning behind that behavior was "he did well on his exams". I don't care what the kid accomplished there was no excuse for that.

Seems to have been some incorrect reporting on my part. It seems that the kid got the joyride because it was HIS BIRTHDAY .

I sure hope the father gave the kid some basic drivers education before turning him loose.

In some ways I can see the fathers side of this story. If it was a closed street and little or no chance of accidents, it is sort of a different situation. And so many children have a huge fasination with cars. Maybe the boy had been bugging and bugging his dad to try to drive. Let's face it, it's a macho kind of thing, I'm sure the dad was probably pretty proud of his kid on top of with the kid wanting to drive so bad maybe it was just one of those things parents cave on when they want to make their kids happy. Some parents can be real suckers for a whinny kid.

I sure hope the father gave the kid some basic drivers education before turning him loose.

In some ways I can see the fathers side of this story. If it was a closed street and little or no chance of accidents, it is sort of a different situation. And so many children have a huge fasination with cars. Maybe the boy had been bugging and bugging his dad to try to drive. Let's face it, it's a macho kind of thing, I'm sure the dad was probably pretty proud of his kid on top of with the kid wanting to drive so bad maybe it was just one of those things parents cave on when they want to make their kids happy. Some parents can be real suckers for a whinny kid.

See, that's the thing, I am confused about this incident because the father would have probably given it enough thought before letting him drive but I have a problem with him letting his two young sons driving alone.

A lot of responsible, adult drivers die every day because of road accidents, all it takes is one wrong decision, a person in the way, a lost animal, another rider on the same street.. And whining is not at all a valid reason, neither is this a good example of parenting. If I had a kid, I would allow him / her to drive too but it would be with me next to him / her with seatbelts and all.

As I see there are two issues regarding this story (which by the way I also noticed on our news channel... half-way around the globe). Of course the first would be why a responsible parent would let their kid drive a car... let alone drive with his younger brother as a passenger. I wouldn't let my child drive the car at 10 years old wherever he may do it (residential area or not). At 10 years old he cannot possibly make any sound decision if any situations may arise.

On the other hand there is the connected issue on how such a irresponsible parent managed to make such a fortune to allow him to give a Ferrari to his 10 year old. You can only wonder how someone that made such a fortune, maybe with a great idea, work and knowledge...Of course in this cases it's pretty obvious how the parent managed to get where he is. When you work the money, you will know their value and would not give such an expensive car to a kid. You might even teach him it is a good thing to obey the laws.

But this is the way it works in countries still no civilized... such as India or my very own Romania. Here is is pretty common to have somebodies rich (and of course politically connected) kid have a car accident or even try to run over someone (there really was such a case) and get away with it. If he were my kid I would take care to stay as much as possible in prison. The laws in our countries are something of a guideline to the rich but are strictly enforced to the poor. America has many problems, but this is not one of them. The laws are enforced for all citizens no matter their fortune (or at least this is how it looks to the general public).

I don't think the age is such a big deal, as long as he was trained prior. There are farmers' kids that learn how to drive at very young ages, and you can even get a "hardship" license at 14 in a lot of states.

If he had just tossed the keys to his son to go have fun, or his son learned via driving games like Forza, I can see the problem. But there's a definite possibility he already knew how to drive before this.

I don't think the age is such a big deal, as long as he was trained prior. There are farmers' kids that learn how to drive at very young ages, and you can even get a "hardship" license at 14 in a lot of states.

If he had just tossed the keys to his son to go have fun, or his son learned via driving games like Forza, I can see the problem. But there's a definite possibility he already knew how to drive before this.

I have to disagree with you. He doesn't look like he has a rough life driving a Ferrari. Not to mention he isn't actually fit to drive... and not because of the skills or knowledge of the regulations, but because he can barely reach the pedals. He is physically unable to safely drive. Just imagine that in a certain situation your life (as another driver on the road) may depend on his decision or reflexes. Would you drive with him on the same road in this situation? Would you trust him with your life? I'm sure you wouldn't. It's a well known fact that the main danger of driving does not come from the way you drive yourself, but from the others driving on the road. Driving is not that dangerous. Driving with other kind of drivers is extremely dangerous.

I have to disagree with you. He doesn't look like he has a rough life driving a Ferrari. Not to mention he isn't actually fit to drive... and not because of the skills or knowledge of the regulations, but because he can barely reach the pedals. He is physically unable to safely drive. Just imagine that in a certain situation your life (as another driver on the road) may depend on his decision or reflexes. Would you drive with him on the same road in this situation? Would you trust him with your life? I'm sure you wouldn't. It's a well known fact that the main danger of driving does not come from the way you drive yourself, but from the others driving on the road. Driving is not that dangerous. Driving with other kind of drivers is extremely dangerous.

Still a bit iffy. There are really short people that drive, as well as people with no arms that drive using their feet. I don't think height is too much of a consideration, since there are ways around that.

Driving without being able to reach the pedals is dangerous. I tried driving a Suzuki Celerio and I was barely able to reach the brake pedal because the car was too small for me to fit. My training was in a Nissan Sunny, which was also too small for me to reach the brake with and at one point a accident was avoided by the driving instructor flooring the brake pedal (a crazy driver turned into my lane and slammed his brakes). Following the incident, I got into a de-badged Nissan sports car and decided not to drive because I couldn't reach the pedals as there wasn't enough space between the seat and the steering wheel/dashboard. Some cars are built for people of a specific height range and it is unlikely that a Ferrari was designed considering the height of a 10-year-old, unless they had plans to sell one to Macaulay Culkin on his 10th birthday or had some equally successful child actor who could afford to own the car and buy a private track to drive it on.

i did some hack to get my license 2 years before my legal age.. nothing more will i reveal online. :P

i did some hack to get my license 2 years before my legal age.. nothing more will i reveal online. :P

lol. Something I find odd is that in the US you can legally get licenses at the following ages:

Car (16, 14 if it's a "hardship" license -- ex. you have to drive your parents. Has the stipulation of only driving to school, taking parents where they need to go, or a job)

Motorcycle (15)

I've never understood why you can legally ride a motorcycle before a car, I'd think the motorcycle would be more dangerous, and you can still wreck cars with them.