xisto Community
mrdee

Spam Fritters :)

Please folks, don't stone me or burn me at the stake, but this recipe involves spam, and, no, I do not mean the kind that us, forum users, and internet users in general curse. :unsure:

Anyway, it is a nice bit of grub, eaten with chips.

You will need

1 tin of Spam.

For the batter:

125 gr (4.40 ounces) of plain flower

125 ml (4.3 fluid ounces) of milk

A pinch of salt

(Optional) A teaspoon of oil.

For the chips:

A bag of frozen chips or 2-3 big potatoes

Oil or chip fat to fry the chips.

Prepare the batter:

Making the batter is just like making pancake dough or Yorkshire pudding mix.

Just put the flour in a bowl, make a hole in the middle, pour the milk in the hole and add the salt (if so desired, the oil too) and start mixing the ingredients with a guard until you have a nice and smooth mix.

Battering the spam:

Open the tin of spam and slice the spam into equal slices.

Dip every slice into the batter, then fry in oil (you can do this in your chip fryer if you wish).

(The spam slices should be fried until nicely golden brown).

In the mean time, cook your chips, or, if you do the spam in the chip fryer, cook the chips first and keep them warm, frying the spam does not take long.

When ready, serve the chips with some slices of battered spam and eat to avenge your mailbox or forum. :D

Nice. I first read the title as Spam Filters then came in to find a nice recipe :)Will the slices be soft or crunchy? Because I learnt a trick for making the stuff you fry crunchy. You take them out of the oil before they're golden brown and leave them a while until they're cold then complete the frying. That way you get crunchy stuff.

Glad you like the recipe.I thought (and hoped :) ) the title of my post was going to cause some controversy.But, coming back to your question: the fritters are fairly crispy.Even frying them golden brown leaves a crispy batter, the spam itself can still a bit soft, however, if you fry them a little bit longer (obviously not until they turn out black) you can have them a bit crunchier.AAs with most things in cooking, do a bit of experimenting and go on feeling.However, as I said in my original post: this is the kind of spam I do not mind. ;)

Yes, as good old Monty Python and his gang used to sing:
"SPAM, SPAM, SPAM, SPAM, SPAM, SPAM, SPAM, SPAM, SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAM, WONDERFUL SPAM".
Relive the good old days here.

PS. I hope I have done it the correct way for posting a Youtube video here.

If not, could someone refresh my memory as to how exactly it is supposed to be done/
Thanks.

Edited by mrdee (see edit history)

That's the one I love... and don't accept imitation "luncheon meat".SPAM is the original and best one. The alternatives just aren't the same.:DLOL

Very true, Jim.However, did you (and everyone else for that matter) realise that the name "spam" as we know it in computer terms, comes from that film by Monty Python?Just like they keep repeating the word "spam" over and over again in the film, spammers also send the same emails (or emails about the same things) over and over again to people, and it is just that repetitive character that lead to the term being used, via Monty Python and his flying Circus, to start the annoying, useless, but above all, repeated thousands of times, emails.So, yes, the term does have something to do with genuine spam.(and not "imitation luncheon meat", as Jim so adequately states. :) ).

It does indeed, Jim.A nice insight there, end, furthermore, there is also a good bit of further detail about the Monty Python scetch.Thank you for bringing this to our attention.Believe it or not, the first thing I learned is that "spam" is actually a contraction of the words "spiced ham".Thanks again.

Well, they say you learn something every day, I had no idea where the term spam came from when refering to those annoying people who plague my email inbox with so many offers to make me rich or increase the size of my....well you know. Now I did figure the lunchmeat variety came named from the spice and the ham, but had no ideas about Monty Python's influence in the other one. I haven't seen one of those movies in ages. Hubby has little tolerance for those types of movies. Personally I enjoy the occasional funky movie, like Little Shop of Horrors, or Rocky Horror Picture Show, but I have to live without that type of entertainment to keep peace in the home.

but I have to live without that type of entertainment to keep peace in the home.

You mean he never sleeps? LOL

Oh yes, he does sleep. We even have dual remote controls so I don't have to fight him over that. But he watches it all the time when he is inside, and honestly, I get tired of TV pretty quick, so when he sleeps that dang thing gets shut off. Sometimes I have a greater appreciation for peace and quiet than I do for watching television.