xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
mamer

Html 5 And Flash

Hi,Has anybody tried making animations and multimedia using HTML 5?How easy, efficient it is compared to Flash?I would be grateful if you could share your experience in HTML 5 with me here as I'm totally new to it. I now the HTML and know how to use it with other scripts but the HTML 5 is totally new to me.Thank you

Hi!If you have used Adobe Flash, then you have used the simplest tool to create animations. Animation with Javascript and HTML involves code and perhaps using Adobe Flash's HTML support is the only way to go about creating animations with Javascript and HTML. More specifically, the canvas element of HTML 5 provides a drawing area and Javascript can be used to draw on that canvas. If you simply want to put up a vector image, you can use scalable vector graphics (SVG) and interact with that vector object using Javascript. The only gripe with that approach is that Microsoft Internet Explorer does not support scalable vector graphics.The ability to create key frames and define transformations is perhaps something that you can think in visual terms. Writing the code for it is like going back a few decades when you have to work with coordinates, unless you have a tool that can convert the visual 'programming' to the coordinate code like a user interface designer does within an integrated development environment.

But does that mean flash is loosing the battle against HTML 5?I agree with you about the capabilities of scripted animation but since it's a designer's arena, desigmers in my opinion are less patient when it comes to coding evrything they do.A programmar would tolerate using notepad for writing his code, a designer needs to see something

But does that mean flash is loosing the battle against HTML 5?
I agree with you about the capabilities of scripted animation but since it's a designer's arena, desigmers in my opinion are less patient when it comes to coding evrything they do.

A programmar would tolerate using notepad for writing his code, a designer needs to see something

I wouldn't say that either of them is "losing." Based on what k_nitin_r said, it appears they pretty much cater to different people. Which one is more "powerful" and such is irrelevant when you're dealing with designers vs. coders. Those who design will always take the route that's easiest to them, and those who code will do the same.

Interesting topic though... I didn't know you could set up animations using just HTML5 and JS!