xisto Community
mrdee

A Query Regarding Domain Names

Hi everyone,

I have just been looking around a bit where domain names are a good bargain.

(Hope I am posting in the right topic here).

I know that Xisto do domain names too, but the Xisto - Support site is a bit obscure regarding that matter (unless, of course, I looked in the wrong place).

However, I do seem to remember that MyCent credits can be used to contribute towards domain names, but earlier, I read that domain names cannot be bought using MyCent credits, but you can buy their renewal with MyCent credit.

Is that correct?

Could someone give me the right information?

How much are domain names if you buy from Xisto?

How much is a renewal (both money and MyCent credits)?

If it is wrong about buying a new domain, how much is a domain using MyCent credits?

Is there a charge for transferring your domain to Xisto (or Xisto - Web Hosting, not sure which name to use)?

I am not asking these questions for myself, but for someone who is looking for a domain name, the last question is for myself, as I might transfer one of my domain names, and if the conditions are OK (and since I have been a member for a long time), I might consider transferring the domain name (even maybe two) if the price is right.

Once again, sincere apologies if I have posted this in the wrong place.

I look forward to your replies.

Edited by mrdee (see edit history)

I have my domain name through xisto, and it is paid for by myCENT, but I have since forgotten how I signed up for that. Either way, it is very possible to pay for domains with myCENT.

Hi Mrdee,

but earlier, I read that domain names cannot be bought using MyCent credits, but you can buy their renewal with MyCent credit.

I am afraid this is incorrect information.

With Mycents, you can :-

Buy Webhosting for as many accounts as you want

Register / Buy a new domain from xisto

Transfer your web hosting / domain registration from your current provider to xisto

Buy other services like VPS, Designing, dedicated ips , ssl certificates, remote email hosting . If xisto sells it, you can buy it using your mycent :)

Mycent is a type of payment option so the prices are same whether you pay using real currency or your Mycent points. If at any point, you cannot pay using Mycent, you can always use real currency to pay the invoice. However the opposite also holds true, if you cannot clear an invoice using real currency, you can post, earn and use the Mycents to pay the invoice.

The only special instruction is that when you order something new, make sure to do it through your client area like JlHaslip mentions. Upon reaching the payment page, select mycent and it will give you the option to use your credit :)

Thank you for that information, folks.Also, good to hear from some of my old friends again.And, while I am at it, I have a further question regarding domains, more specifically, domains and the use of Xisto web space.I have my webhosting with Xisto, but, when a certain change was made some years ago (I don't remember what change it was), I had to go from using the email in my Cpanel to using the email system on Google Apps.It works perfectly, I admit, however, it seems Google Apps are no longer free, and I am asking this since I am helping someone else with their hosting and all that on Xisto:is there another free system that you can now use instead of Google Apps or has Xisto gone back to the email through the Cpanel?Like I said, it is not for me, my email is doing fine at the moment (provided Google do not scrap all the free accounts in the future, in which case I too would have to find an alternative solution).So, it would be interesting to hear if there are certain alternatives.Apologies if this question has already been asked or the answer can be easily found somewhere, but I have been out of circulation for a long time, and I am still trying to get back on my feet properly.

I have my webhosting with Xisto, but, when a certain change was made some years ago (I don't remember what change it was), I had to go from using the email in my Cpanel to using the email system on Google Apps.It works perfectly, I admit, however, it seems Google Apps are no longer free, and I am asking this since I am helping someone else with their hosting and all that on Xisto:
is there another free system that you can now use instead of Google Apps or has Xisto gone back to the email through the Cpanel?

Like I said, it is not for me, my email is doing fine at the moment (provided Google do not scrap all the free accounts in the future, in which case I too would have to find an alternative solution).

Google mentioned that it would continue to provide free service to existing accounts but would not have new accounts.

I prefer to use the email forwarding that is accessed through Cpanel so I can consolidate everything into a single account - it makes checking email quicker too. At one point it did stop working and I was asked to use Google Apps, but Google Apps does not have the equivalent of a catch-all email address where you can type anything ahead of the '@', and that's a feature I use a lot. I'm not certain, but it may be possible for you to set up SquirrelMail or something similar on your web hosting account to have a web interface for your email, though I'm not sure if there's already a web interface provided.

, but Google Apps does not have the equivalent of a catch-all email address where you can type anything ahead of the '@', and that's a feature I use a lot.

Must be Christmas and you must have been a good little boy because here is your gift. The steps to setup your own catch all email address (Google Apps)
https://support.google.com/a/answer/33962?hl=en

Now, getting back to Mrdee :-

Thank you for that information, folks.Also, good to hear from some of my old friends again.

Good to see you here at the forums once again. I hope you have been doing well :)

I have my webhosting with Xisto, but, when a certain change was made some years ago (I don't remember what change it was), I had to go from using the email in my Cpanel to using the email system on Google Apps.

Cpanel Email / Webmail though convenient and easy to use has its own fair share of problems. If one mail account were to get hacked, and used for spam, it would mean that every other cpanel mail user on the server would get blocked by other mail providers since the ip address would be the same.

There are also cases where out of a lack of understanding or maybe intentionally, people would send scores of emails / newsletters / subscriptions / email blasts. And since recipient mail servers / filters play the number game, it would not matter how genuine your email is if you are sending a massive amount of them. The filters are configured to automatically block such senders, you cannot hire a bunch of people to sit and scan through mail queues 24x7... **Shudders**

And imagine the performance of the server if 100s / 1000s of emails are being sent through it at any given point, people would feel the difference, worst when spamming occurs since it has the capacity to overload a server. The fact that even a major mail provider like Google limits a person from sending more than 200 emails says a lot about the potential damage spammers can cause.

Along with the user related cons, you also have the performance related cons since cpanel is not as refined as seasoned mail providers like Gmail. So many nuts and bolts are involved in setting up a proper mail service :(

xisto made the decision to remove cpanel email from its default list of mail providers keeping in mind the overall performance required for a happy experience :)

It works perfectly, I admit, however, it seems Google Apps are no longer free, and I am asking this since I am helping someone else with their hosting and all that on Xisto:is there another free system that you can now use instead of Google Apps or has Xisto gone back to the email through the Cpanel?

Google won't bother the free users since their main target are now companies looking for large number of email accounts. I believe that google wanted to be both humanitarian & businessman by throttling users with the "10 users" limit hoping that conversion would happen and people would still be allowed to keep their free accounts, I am guessing things did not work out as planned.

The alternative to Google Apps is their direct competitor Microsoft. They give you 500 emails with 5 GB space each which should be good enough considering the fact that you get 500 accounts. With this, you also get additional storage space on their own cloud network AND since it is microsoft, you get a much better versions of "Google Docs" :)

Maybe sometime in the future, xisto will start once more offering Cpanel email once all the free services out there are filled with the abusive users HA HA HAHA

Thank you for all the competent explanations, my friends, and, Velma, unfortunately I am a long way from being okay, but, I am working on that.The question I have left is one regarding Microsoft (I usually use a different word after "Micro", it also begins with an 's', but since I do not want to run the risk of being banned, I shall stick to "Microsoft" for now).Is it the same principle as Google Apps in that you can use your domain name to set up your email and get it as "me@mrdee.com" for example?In that case I might consider it.Also, I know I am a bit cheeky for asking this question here, but should I look for that feature on the Live/Hotmail page, or on the main Microsoft page?Anyway, thank you for your input, everyone.

There is another obscurity I have discovered:

The website explaining how to use Windows Live Mail with your own domain says the following:

Prerequisites:- You'll need an ASPnix Hosting Account to be able to configure domains via Control Panel
- To use ASPnix DNS, please make sure your domain is pointing to
ns1.aspnix.com
ns2.aspnix.com
ns3.aspnix.com (optional, recommended for non-US clients)

The first thing that strikes me is that you need ASP hosting, while that is not what standard users at Xisto have.
It also tells you to point your domain name at the aspnix DNS servers, but in that case (or, at least, so I assume) your domain name would no longer point to the Xisto - Web Hosting servers, leaving your domain name useless for using it on your hosting.

Am I right in suspecting what I described earlier, or is there a different way to go about it?
Also, with a domain bought from Xisto, is there a possibility for using it for email?

Sorry if my questions are ignorant or stupid, but I find it all a bit confusing.

Don't worry Mrdee, that host was probably for using his services or something. Window Live Mail is exactly like google apps right from the sign up down to the way it behaves. You can ask someone from Xisto - Support to help set it up but in case other members are curious, the link to the sign up is at :-

https://domains.live.com/default.aspx

It requires only 1 thing, a hotmail / live id which you can create for free. So if you have a hotmail id, sign up directly OR first create the live id and then do the sign up so that you don't have to do the verification and sign in process once more **rolls eyes**

Another important note, unlike google apps where the administrator can change the password for his users.. Windows Live does not have that option.. Really insane I know. But in a bid to keep services "secure" they allow password resets only through the reset link where an email is sent to the live id you create OR a correctly answered security question... So please do not take this part lightly or else you will be left with no choice but to "delete" the entire email account and recreate it. Delete = bye bye emails.

Once you finish the sign up, you need to add the DNS records for it. You can copy/paste these to Xisto - Support who can add it for you or if you are experienced enough, add it through the "Advanced DNS editor" in your Cpanel :)

Edited by velma (see edit history)

Thank you very much for that reply, Velma.I shall definitely consider the option when I help setting up the web space and email for the person, and, thank you for warning me about the password reset (or lack thereof).