xisto Community
adriantc

How To Make Money From Open-Source Or Free Software

I am an open-source software developer and as much as I like programming and solving problems I also need, like everybody, the root of all evil... aka money. I am currently accepting donations and on the websites of my software I do use Google AdSense, but both of them aren't really helping me make any reasonable amount of money considering the number of downloads and the popularity my software has. For example considering the 2 softwares that are currently in development get around 250 downloads each every week (counted by SourceForge) and each has around 55000-60000 total downloads (also counted by direct downloads from SourceForge; more on other separate websites like Download.com and Softpedia) I get around 3$/month from Google AdSense and with a lot of luck a small donation (under 5$). Do you know any other ways to make money from the free software I develop? I am looking for something that does not alter the users computers (aka no malware, toolbars and things like that) and are not extremly annoying...

Thank you,

PS: If you want to take a look you can visit: http://tcpipmanager.sourceforge.net/ and http://dont-panic.sourceforge.net/

One possibility would be to offer the software for free, but offer an "enhanced" version for a fee.Or offer to "personalize" the software for companies/individuals on a fee basis.Or charge a small token fee to have language updates.

One possibility would be to offer the software for free, but offer an "enhanced" version for a fee.Or offer to "personalize" the software for companies/individuals on a fee basis.
Or charge a small token fee to have language updates.

This. Depending on how open-source you want to keep it, at least.

One idea is to let the open-source version (assuming the software needs to be updated) be free, while offering updates at a cost. This allows people to have a full version they can adapt or whatever, with the opportunity to keep getting support from you.