xisto Community

What's favicon.ico ?

favicon.ico is the small image that appears in the tabs of your browser, bookmarks and web history, even in your desktop when you save a shortcut to a specific website.

You can see them in almost everywhere.

Why should I have a favicon.ico ?

favicon.ico gives to your visitors a good visual landmark and are generally welcome. They are small but very visible.

Then, it's a good way to brand your website.

What appens if I don't want to have a favicon.ico?

When your visitors visit or bookmark your page, or have a look to their history, their browser will request for it and your server will send an error page 404. If you have customized errors pages with styles, images, etc. , it will be sent each time favicon.ico is requested even if nobody see it.

However, If you plan to design your favicon.ico later on, you can simply put an empty file at the root of your web server, this way you'll avoid error messages and useless logs.

But don't avoid it, it's worthy.

How to create a favicon.ico?

You can find many icon editors in google. I use icoFX, it's a very friendly user, complete and efficient tool that alouds picture importations, supports transparency, picture editions, texts with fonts, and gives many setting choices.

Using the minimal settings(16x16 pixels in 2 colors), you may have a very acceptable favicon.ico's weighting arround 198 bytes.

How to include it in your pages

Once you feel happy enough with your new favicon.ico, just upload it at the root of 'yoursite.com', and add the following rows within your <head> tags to make it appear to the browser’s tabs:

<link rel="shortcut icon" href="favicon.ico" />

or with the absolute url:

<link rel="shortcut icon" href="http://yoursite.com/favicon.ico" />

That's all, enjoy it
Edited by jlhaslip (see edit history)

I have always enjoyed creating my own Favicons. It can be fun to do.There are many Favicon Generators on the internet. Google it.