xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
sheepdog

Good Things Come To Those Who Wait!

So, your lounging around the house watching TV and you see an ad for some odd ball product and you think, gee, that's pretty cool, I could use one of those! Then the announcer gives the price and you think dang, that's a lot of money for a stupid little piece of junk like that. But wait....if you order right now we will send you not only one gizmo, but 2! That's right, 2 for the price of one, you just have to pay the shipping and handling on the second gizmo. What a deal right? But then you squint up your eyes and get real close to the TV and find that the shipping and handling charges are probably still more money than the silly little gizmo is worth to start with. So, what do you do? Whip out your credit card and order it anyway??? Not me!!! Because I have long since learned that sooner or later, all these crazy products you see advertised on TV will sooner or later be offered by some vendor at a swap meet somewhere! At a very small fraction of the price they were originally offered for on the television, and there's no shipping and handling charge at all! This weekend I managed to score a Lint Lizzard, one of those things you use to poke down your clothers dryer vent to suck out all the lint balls. And a Shoe's Under, so I can get some of the clutter out of the bottom of my closet and stash the extra pairs under the bed. And the good news is I spend a whole $6, which I believe is less than the shipping and handling fee on just one of the products!Now, if only someone will bring one of those gizmo's you stick to the bottom of your bath tub to scrub your feet with, I'll be a happy camper! :-)

Your story reminds me of a similar item I wanted to purchase a few years back. My dad had just purchased one of those Forman Grills from a TV infomercial. He ended up paying over $150 after shipping and everything. I really liked the grill once he got it and was thinking of getting one for myself. I decided against it since the price tag was a bit too expensive.Just about 6 months ago I was browsing a local liquidation store and sure enough there it was. A brand new Forman Grill for $25! No shipping cost, no credit card required, and no wait! I ended up buying two of them and saving one for a christmas gift for a friend.As you said, good things come to those who wait! ;)Now if only those darn iPads would appear in the liquidation stores... before they go obsolete!

Edited by NateP (see edit history)

LOL, yea, that is one draw back to waiting, especially with technoligy type stuff. It can be outdated long before us cheapskates can get our grubby little hands on them. But for everything else, it works out pretty good. Though I have to admit, there are time when I feel like one of those buzzards sitting on the fence post waiting around for something to die that says to the other buzzard, "Patients hell, I'm going to kill something!" :D

I agree with you.And me being mostly a G33K, Im happy that prices of Computers are low. a Person today..can proudly buy an i3 Pc and can stay happy with all his computing needs for the next 10-20 years ;) I m sure... Soon everyone would want to jump into the world of 3D. But - that technology yet has to go long way ahead... before it becomes an essential component of the operating System.1 TB HDD ... 4 GB ram - i m satisfied.. **burrpp**

Yes, since the masses have entered the computer and technoligy world, prices have been coming steadily down, just as long as your not one of those folks that has to have the newest gizmo the very day it is released to the public. Most things are within the reach of anyone's budget. But one problem is the rapid advance of technoligy. You set up your system will all the bells and wistles and goodies you want, but then in just a few years any new systems that come out will no longer work with the new stuff. I really wanted to upgrade to the newest version of windows, but none of my current software programs would work with it. I was pretty dissapointed, but didn't want to replace everything, so I just had to go back to Window's XP.