xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
CarlowOlson

Introduction Of A New User

Hello MembersGreeting to all.My name is Carlow Olson. I am a new member of this community. I have not found the introduction thread of this forum so, I am giving here my introduction. I am very much excited to join in this group. I came to your site with a lot of search. I want to know about different discussions on your site especially the discussion relating to Active Directory Demo. I humbly request you to support and cooperate me in the discussion board. If any type of inconvenience, then I apologize for that.Thanks and RegardsCarlow Olson

Hello Carlow. Welcome to Xisto! We have many knowledgable people that use this forum to discuss all kinds of technical things. If you ask questions here, you will usually find someone that can either answer them or at least point you in the right direction to find answers. The users here are usually eager to help. :)

Carlow know its a few days late but welcome to Xisto hope you have a great time with the Community and find new friends with things in common.

Carlow,It's good to have you here on this forum. Where are you from and what do you do? Are you a web designer/developer too?It would help to have the technical discussions in the computers forum because that's where all of the tech-savvy folk hang out, but a discussion about Active Directory is something that I cannot hold back from, so I'll post right here because the Introduction threads usually turn into a mish-mash of eclectic subjects anyway.The Microsoft Active Directory is an LDAP (Light-weight Directory Access Protocol) service that can be created using Microsoft Windows server edition software. What this means is that you cannot use Windows 7 Ultimate, Windows Vista Ultimate, or even Windows XP Professional to create and host a Microsoft Active Directory service. You need to use Microsoft Windows NT, Windows 2000, Windows 2003, or Windows 2008 to setup a Microsoft Active Directory service. To begin with, you can create a domain name server (DNS, either use BIND on a Linux server, or use Windows server edition to host a domain name service too). When you do that, you can setup the Microsoft Active Directory service, which would be the repository for holding the user accounts of users across the entire network. The Active Directory can also be used to host a domain name service, though before you create the Active Directory service, you have to setup at least one other domain name service, which you can later migrate to the Active Directory. The Active Directory also provides you with the means to replicate the files that you share using Windows. Think of it as a Windows shared folder that appears on multiple computers with all of the files in-synchronization. The Active Directory service can also be used to create additional fields associated with user accounts, or to hold just about any kind of information because it is in essence a database service (or, more technically, a directory service). You can use a directory service for listing printers that are available on your network too. You can use the Active Directory service to install software on computers on your network, make all the files available on the desktop and My Documents folders shared across all of the computers so that you can log in from any of the computers to access all of your files, though you may have an issue when working across different versions of Windows, such as Windows XP and Windows Vista or Windows 7 because they store the user files in different directories.If you do need help with setting up a Microsoft Active Directory service, feel free to drop me a message and I would be more than happy to help. We can either setup a team viewer or vnc sharing session and you can install the software needed within vmware or virtualbox.

Hey, welcome to the site! Hopefully you stick around and become part of our community/family. There's a lot to learn here, as well as a lot to teach, but you have to be willing to participate to benefit, :).

Hello Carlow!Welcome to Xisto forums! We are happy to discuss with you all kinds of topics. As a veteran of Xisto I hope you'll have a great time writing and contributing to this community, making it as large and shiny as it used to be.