xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
sheepdog

It's Raining!

YIPPEE! I am so glad to finally get some very badly needed rain. Issac may of brought disaster to some, but the rain storms the rest of us are getting now are a true blessing. I was so happy to see the rain I intentionally worked outside all day yesterday, in the rain, got soaked and loved every minute of it. After baking all summer long in the hot sun it was actually fun to be cool and wet.I often wonder if the people who live in cities really understand the problems a long and serious drought can cause, since they can't actually see the physical side of it. Just a few days ago we made a short road trip, and I myself was shocked at the number of dry ponds we saw, and the bare dirt ground that used to be pasture for livestock that now looked more like a gravel bar than a grass field. I feel for the farmers,not only those with cattle who will be hard pressed to feed their herds with hay that was $30 last year for a big round bale now bringing $80 or more. It is rapidly reaching the point when the feed for a cow costs more than the cow is worth. And the grain farmers are taking a great hit too. Sure, costs paid to them for their products is higher than it has ever been, but if you don't have any to sell because of the drought, it sure doesn't do you any good now does it? And the consumers who are seeing much higher prices in the store are hurting, but you don't see the farmer makeing any of that profit, it's all snatched up by the middlemen, the processors and everyone else except the farmer. And to complicate matter even more, our own government won't change it's stance on the blending of ethanol into our gasoline supply, despite the terrible shortage of corn to make ehanol with. That corn should be going to ease our food supplies and make life a little easier on the common man. Yes, crude oil is high too, but it is not in dangerous short supply like our corn crop. Why does the government have to be so short sighted, or pig headed that they can't learn to adjust with the flow and take care of problems as they happen, not send things to committess and work for a year until they can come up with some solution for a problem that probably no longer exists?