xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Ananya

Water Scarcity Paving The Way For Vegetarianism

According to one of the latest scientific studies, the world population might have to switch over to Vegetarianism to cope up with the ever increasing water scarcity. As animal protein rich diet usually consumes more water as compared to vegetarian diet.The food habit shift is the only way out to save the extra need of water to sustain the availability of food to majority of human population. The available ground water level will not remain enough by 2050 to produce enough food for 9 billion population throughout the world.This would mean new food recipes are yet to come in the near future.We would have to learn to adapt to water scarcity like a camel in a desert. Although there are other short term ways to combat water scarcity generating food scarcity as a whole like increasing trade between food surplus nations and the deficiet ones. But all such initiatives will require the collective effort of the human community as a whole to stand in the need of each other.

Now that kind of science scares the crap out of me! I have no desires whatsoever to become a vegetarian. Yuck. But I have seen what is happening in this country due to the drought and it is scary. The thing is, without water, we can't really grow vegetables that much easier than we can grow meat. And the protien sources in vegtables are so much lower, that far more vegetation must be grown and consumed than would need to be if a animal meat sourse is included in the diet. So that is kind of a trade off in the equation. The big question here you ask is can humans work together for the greater good of all? From what I have seen in my life I find that quite unlikely to happen. There will always be someone who will take advantage of any situation to promote their own agenda and do their thing to take over whatever they think they can get away with. Power hungry individuals who don't care if thousands of people starve just so long as they gain more power and control. Under these circumstances, it looks pretty dismal for the continuted survival of the masses.