xisto Community
jlhaslip

New Laptop Specifications

Recently bought a new laptop and wondered if anyone might take a look and comment on the Specs.It is used for general work, cruising the interweb, emails and some light Web Development stuff.No gaming or heavy graphics.Asus X53 with an i5 rated at 2.5 Ghtz8 G RAM 1033750 G HDDOnboard Intel graphics - 1 Gig dedicatedWireless N(1) 3.0 USB and (2) USB 2.0Full Specifications can be found at http://www.bestbuy.ca/ns/Errors/404.html bought a Seagate 3 T External HDD for use as a backup system for this machine.I'm happy about the machine and disk drive.Let me know what you think about it.

Quite a nice laptop, but like on most currently developed laptops the resolution, at least for me, is really annoying. For me on a 15.6 screen a 1366 x 768 resolution is annoying (even though it's HD, but working with that kind of resolution isn't good for me, it's only good for watching movies on laptop), I currently have a Samsung which has 1680x1050 (WSXGA+) on a 15.4 wide laptop screen and it really looks good.Furthermore, I found quite a nice Dell laptop, which is quite cheap and has a lot of quite good specs inside it and it's resolution is really great:http://www.bestbuy.com/site/dell-inspiron-15-6-laptop-6gb-memory-750gb-hard-drive/5619934.p?id=1218674126251&skuId=5619934It has a clear wide screen 1920 x 1080, full HD quality.I don't know why, but when looking at a laptop, I really keep my mind on the resolution it offers. :)

Yes, that looks better in some regards, ie: the 4 USB 3.0 connections and the graphic resolution is better, too.I also noticed the DVD is 7200 rpm versus mine at 5400 (I think), however, it is only 6 gigs of RAM and uses a full 2 gigs for its dedicated graphics where mine uses only 1 of its 8 gigs.There are some trade-offs between the two machines.Mostly, the price is different as well, since mine was only $570 on sale versus the $800 for the Dell.I'm a cheap guy... what can I say. :blink:Thanks for the review.

I agree, your laptop is good and the price difference 500$ over 800$ is also almost half, I just say, that it's really hard to find a good laptop, it seems that when you find one which is good and cheap, the resolution is 1366 x 768 which personally for me is very inconvenient, but it seems that almost all the laptops go with this resolution as default now, to watch movies, but not to work.By the way, you said, that the Dell laptop, which I posted has 6 GB of RAM (even though it's expandable), but I didn't understand the part with the the graphics card, it has it's own separate 2 GB of RAM as I understand? Because it's dedicated and not integrated...

I have always wanted to get hold of a laptop of my own and been window shopping for some time now. In all my visits I only figure out that for graphic intensive work like Avid and Photoshop, I need a high end laptop, which serves me dual purpose of home desktop and tution screen for teaching. So far I was concentrating with the Dual Core or the Core 2 Duo series. But with the new Ultrabook series my wait got even longer.

This site list the prices of Ultrabooks in India, approximate to the final market price.
http://www.pricedealsindia.com/laptop/ultrabook-price-list-in-india.php

Since my earnings are low and at the same time a laptop can serve the dual purpose for me, I keep looking at them.
Unlike Quatrux looking for better resolution, my consideration is on the purpose of my laptop. And since graphics is the criteria, 2 GB dedicated RAM for graphics is my first search criteria. Also the price should be affordable. Dell XPS 15z came close but then the graphics is 1 GB dedicated, but the resolution and screen is quite big for a 2.5 kg laptop. The RAM also will need upgradation. But the price of INR 75k ($1400) is absurd. The same laptop in dell's site is available for $799.99, shipped within US only. So if I need to buy a laptop you were discussing will cost me double the price you pay, possibly due to import duties, etcetra, etcetra.

So my wish to get a laptop even on installment basis seems a far distance mirage. Lets hope that the PC I am now using lives longer enough till I get a laptop for my own.

Recently bought a new laptop and wondered if anyone might take a look and comment on the Specs.

It is used for general work, cruising the interweb, emails and some light Web Development stuff.

No gaming or heavy graphics.

Asus X53 with an i5 rated at 2.5 Ghtz

8 G RAM 1033

750 G HDD

Onboard Intel graphics - 1 Gig dedicated

Wireless N

(1) 3.0 USB and (2) USB 2.0

Full Specifications can be found at http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Also bought a Seagate 3 T External HDD for use as a backup system for this machine.

I'm happy about the machine and disk drive.

Let me know what you think about it.

That system is pretty much overkill for web development and stuff, so you should be good to go. My development laptop is a lot worse, but I also run Linux on it (the difference between *nix and Windows will make a huge difference on the laptop's speed).

To be honest, with your stats you should be able to do graphics and video editing as well. The i5 is a pretty decent CPU, and the 8GB of ram will do wonders.