xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
ritu

Green It: A Measure To Preserve The Environment

Technology has been quite often accused of harming the environment. But an ecological progress has made its appearance hand in hand with technology and it is known as Green IT.Green IT basically works in a way where a lot of recyclable products are used in order to cut down on the pollution that technology at times results into.As nowadays, we use technology possibly as much as we can. Green IT takes the charge of maintaining everything used in the process of transmitting and receiving information through technology.Increased use of solar power is a recommended feature here.Now, the question arises as to how the project is actually going to make the difference. Certain changes it lays emphasis are like opting for batteries that are self charged,system software that is optimized , choosing virtual computers and terminal servers, to lower the intensity of transport , switching to telecommuting, introducing events of auditing to data centers to identify and deal with the software applications that are unused, when not in use devices to be put into the sleep mode, seeking of different energy efficiency certificates by the companies, bringing in the use of duplex and dump mode to cut on events of unnecessary printing,deploying ways like peak shift control functionality of notebook PC's and smart power outlets to conserve electricity.Hope this project marks as a beginning to reduce global warming and pollution.

Part of the enviornmental problems that technoligy has cause is the developement of so many throw away products. Camera's, telephones, and numerous other products are being developed for single use and then to be tossed into the trash. Even products that are not originally designed to be throw away are being made very cheaply and do not last very long, requiring quick replacement and then the disposal of the product and replaceing it with new. Things just aren't made to last anymore. I'm on my 4th computer since I started messing with these silly things not that many years ago.

Part of the enviornmental problems that technoligy has cause is the developement of so many throw away products. Camera's, telephones, and numerous other products are being developed for single use and then to be tossed into the trash. Even products that are not originally designed to be throw away are being made very cheaply and do not last very long, requiring quick replacement and then the disposal of the product and replaceing it with new. Things just aren't made to last anymore. I'm on my 4th computer since I started messing with these silly things not that many years ago.

This is true -- everything is made cheaper (both in price and quality). The other big problem though is in regards to how quickly technology moves. If you purchase a new camera/pc/phone today, within a week it will already have dropped in rankings in terms of what's best. If you buy a PC part now, give it a month and it will be a lot cheaper and much better ones will be out. And this is a big part of why so much is thrown out too.

That is partially the fault of human greed, and has has a lot to do with each individual's personality. Some people think they need the newest latest gizmos the very second they become available. Then others, like me, want to spend the least amount of money possible, and then use the product for as long as it will possibly work before you have to go spend more money replacing it with something new. Seriously, what difference does it make if your camera has a 1 1/2 inch view screen and next week they come out with a 2 inch screen? Why discard a perfectly well working camera for such a slight trivial thing as that? But you better believe there are a lot of people that will do just exactly that, waste more money on the new model. I guess it's sort of that old keeping up with the Jones' mentality. People think they have to have the very best of everything to be better than other people around them. All silly greed and ego.

Another part of our problems with waste is not just human greed, but lazyness of modern man. We want conviences. No work, just use something and throw it away. No way people today will rinse out and wash and then reuse dirty cloth baby diapers. Slap a pampers on the little guys bottom and away you go. When it's "full" toss it in the trash. Let's not waste our time or energy washing dishes, let's just use paper or plastic plates and toss them too when we are done. Don't carry a reusable plastic insulated coffee mug in your car, just get the cups in the gas station. Heat a TV dinner in the plastic container it came in them too that too, no muss no fuss. People are just way too lazy anymore. We don't even recycle pop bottles anymore. Now it all comes in plastic containers we toss away. I remember when I was a kid, one day a week my mom would let me walk from school to the local library and she would come to town later and pick me up there. I used to walk up the street looking for pop bottles to sell for spending money, but now a days thats a thing in the past.

Kolkata, a city in the North-East of India, just banned bicycles because the were causing traffic congestion. I don't blame them - the folks riding bicycles are careless and are quick to start up a brawl in the hopes of getting paid compensation for no damage at all. Often, the accidents are intentional with the greed of making extra cash off the motor vehicle owners.
On the flip side, requiring everyone to own a motor vehicle even for a short trip is like asking people for more smog in an already polluted city. Kolkata has a lot of old taxis, many with rust flaking off the doors, so one can imagine the pollution they must be causing by having the city keep them on the streets. There's another small town a few hours from Kolkata where motor vehicles are discouraged and all the locals have bicycles or use boats instead (not that the boats use clean-burning engines, but they are used to transport many more people).

Wow, that really seems weird to ban bikes especially in this day and age with all the green revolution stuff going on. Would also think bikes make less congestion than cars, since they are so much smaller.

One thing about taxi's, they may look old and rough, but chances are they are probably better maintained than the normal persons car. They are probably all as well tuned as they can be to squeeze every last mile out of a gallon of gas. More miles equal more profit of course. But of course, on the other hand they want to wring every last mile out of them they can too. So there are probably quite a few real clunkers out there too. It's no easy way to make a living.

In India, the most-value-for-money are picked as taxis. That means it is usually a Mahindra Verito (formerly called the Mahindra-Renault Logan) or a Tata Indigo. The Tata vehicles are known for lasting quite a while and for costing much less than other vehicles so it is quite surprising for many pople to hear that they are the same folk who own Land Rover and Jaguar. It's like telling people that the most expensive hotels are in China, the same country where the cheapest of everything else in the world is made. The image is changing though because pretty much every major brand is manufacturing in China so it is no longer just the cheap stuff that comes out of China. When you have the Apple iPhone 5S Gold coming out of China, that has got to say something about their quality and manufacturing standards. The Chinese folk also make some of the best cotton products, though we do not get to see much of it these days - either all the farmers turned into industrial workers or they just built factories over farm lands. The focus on construction in India has led to increasing food prices with little farm help available so I would imagine that China must be facing a similar crisis.
Bicycles are fun to ride but most parts of the world are not bicycle friendly. Perhaps I can get away with riding a bicycle in one of the smaller towns or the villages of India, but the traffic is just crazy and accidents are fairly common with a lot of vehicles lacking side mirrors or properly functioning brakes. The problem is also because of a lack of facilities to attend to old vehicles - when the parts aren't available, they just have the parts sent to a workshop, and run off the refurbished parts. It isn't cost effective to want to manufacture obsolete parts locally either because a lot of people get rid of their old vehicles, with little interest in running a vintage.

Well, your going to have to work a bit harder at convincing me about quality control with Chinese products. The apple I phone may just be a fluke. With a death toll now of over 600 pets from jerky treats produced in China, they still have a long way to go to improve manufacturing standards and quality control in the country.

I wonder what car company built the old Checker cabs? They look like the cars built back in the 50's, all big boxy looking things. But they could take a beating liking nothing else and go for miles and miles. And at least here in the states, we still have salvage yards, or junk yards as they are commonly called. Although several years ago when the prices of scrap metal went up we started having problems finding parts for older cars because they were crushing many of them for scrap metal. Then they did Obama's cash for clunkers, in which case all those cars had to be crushed to qualify for the program, so that too caused a shortage of parts. But for the most part, you can find spare parts easily enough.

The Chinese manufacturing standards and quality control may not be their selling point in the food industry, but they do host one of the largest food fairs in Canton. Organizations from all over the world that have anything to do with food have a presence there and they coolest thing that they have there are vegan alternatives to meat products that look and taste just like the meat equivalents. Think of all the animals that would be able to get away from the clutches of the evil fast food chains and frozen food processing corporations. The mad evil scientists who are investigating cloning technology to create life for the sole purpose of providing food for human beings would also have to put an end to their research and look into something more exciting like Xenotransplantation in which they manage to grow animal organs for transplanting into human beings, which would hopefully give them superhuman abilities like lifting objects that are five times their body weight and guzzling down a whole bottle of Coke without gaining even even an inch of belly fat.
While looking up Chinese computer products, I came across the Hasee brand. They are probably defunt now because when I looked up their website, all they had was the first generation of Intel Core i3, Intel Core i5, and Intel Core i7 processors and the Intel Atom processors that were released at the time, along with Microsoft Windows 7. If there were still operational, they would probably be featuring new laptops and desktop computers with the fourth generation Haswell processors from Intel instead. Having said that, I do have to mention that the Lenovo Thinkpad series, which is considered the best of the laptops that an organization can afford to provide its employees with for in-office use are manufactured in China. When you flip them over, you see a label that says "Made for" Lenovo Singapore, there's another label about a registration for the use of radio equipment in Canada, there's even a warning for anyone using the laptop in Australian territory to let them know that they can only use equipment that has been approved by the telecommunication authority to plug into the headphone port. But if you read past all that, there is a "Made in China" label that tells you where the life was breathed into the unit.

"vegan alternatives to meat products that look and taste just like the meat equivalents"

No. Sorry. No such thing exists. Only meat tastes like meat. My taste buds will never be fooled by meat alternatives. :)

If they are going to grow things in test tubes, I wish they would work on as you say, growing organs for transplanting into humans. Wouldn't even have to be animal organs. A lot of people die every year because there are not enough organ donors. I would really like to see more effort put into something like that. And I don't see why it can't be accomplished with all the scientific advances we have had in this day and age. That seems to me to make more sense of a project to put effort into instead of making test tube meat for human consumption, since making meat for humans is easily done already. Have you every checked to see how many pounds of meat you can get from a single doe rabbit with the multiple litters she has in a year in a very small amount of space. It would really surprise you at how productive they are. You can practically keep a rabbit fed on yard waste. We have great, natural ways for making meat now, I personally think it foolish and wasteful to grow it for consumption. Besides, it probably isn't going to taste all that great anyway. There are just some things that cannot be duplicated in a lab. Like the effect of sunshine on the animal, the flavors of fescue and wild onions in the grass they eat, pond water with all the nice algae and fish poo in it that all leads to the flavor of the meat.

Interesting about Lenovo. My new computer is a Lenovo. It's an all in one. So far the second new one is doing fine. Had to take the first one back after a week. Yesterday the old monitor on the old computer completely gave up the ghost. So I finally moved the new one to my desk, which is about 4 inches taller than the table I had it on. When I first sat down in front of it, it reminded me a of a drive in movie, the screen was so big! I sure do like this big screen.

You ought to try eating food prepared with soy granules - its vegan and it does taste like minced lamb meat, so it's a good alternative for the people who want the experience of eating meat. Vegan alternatives to meat would help lower the costs of food and would make it more affordable to people in developing nations because it costs more to raise livestock than it does to grow crops.
I considered getting a Lenovo a little over a week ago. They had an all-in-one model with a television tuner so it could double up as a television but that specific model costs about three grand and it was not worth spending that much for the specifications of the unit. The cheaper Lenovo all-in-one models did not have a television tuner card (or even a dumb television with a direct link up to the screen). Among Lenovos laptops, the Lenovo Thinkpad models aren't available from storeshelves and I don't like the idea of ordering something that I have never seen. The Lenovo Ideapad Yoga offers a good feature set but they did not have a plastic panel cover to place over the keyboard and trackpad when folding the keyboard over to get it to act like a tablet. The Ideapad Flex was their entry-level model and did not have a fourth generation Intel Core ix processor or more than 4GB of memory. The Ideapad Z-series, Y-series, and G-series with touch screen were unavailable too. I looked for a Toshiba U-series sliding screen model but it was not available with a fourth generation Intel Core ix processor (the design was good so I didn't really care about the RAM - it had 4GB RAM). I asked around for the ASUS Transformer AiO, which could double up as an eighteen inch tablet but that doesn't seem to be available either. In the end, I settled for a Dell Inspiron 15R, which has a touch screen and 8GB of memory and an ATI Radeon graphics adapter (it still is better than the Intel-only graphics that Sony's offerings in the Vaio series of laptops had). I know I have always been a critic of Dell and this time was no different - I had to return the first unit I had within twelve hours of turning it on, but the second one I got is running perfectly well and I'm looking for the minute that it fails in some way; so far, it looks like a keeper and it could be the Dell that changes my opinion about their brand.

Gag, choke puke. PLEASE don't talk to me about eating soy. That is some foul tasting vile garbage. Soy beans make good printers ink, and maybe food for cows, not sure on the cow food though. Might mess up the taste of the meat. I've accidentally eating a few hot dogs with soy protein, and I can tell almost immediately, I start belching and get sick to my stomach from eating them. The only product I ever use that has the word soy in it is soy sauce. And don't use much of it, like it once in awhile.

Well, I could certainly agree with not being out 3 grand for a computer that doubles as a TV, TV's are actually pretty cheap in comparison to a lot of things these days. We just finally broke down and bought a big screen ourselves for our family Christmas present. 51 inch. Just got it set up this afternoon. Nice, but I'm wondering if it's going to cause me some eye problems, just watched it for a couple hours and I'm starting to feel eye strain and a bit of a headache. Hopefully I'll adjust to it in awhile. Now about the only thing high tech I'm still considering is a lap top. Thought I might get one with windows 8 on it, so I could gradually figure that out without being forced to do it or when I was in a bind and had to get something done. Would be nice to have it to take on vacation too so I don't have to rely on my sister in laws computer when we are out there. If I could play around with it here for a few weeks surely by the time we leave for vacation I would be good enough to at least read and write emails. Oh, and on that subject, I will need from someone here a crash course in wi fi. Have no idea how all that works.

Well, to follow up, I seem to have managed to grow accustom to the bigger screen, other than that first day it hasn't caused any more eye strain or head aches. I sure do like it. I am amazed at all the details in films I have missed over the years when we sit and watch old movies we have seen before now on the new TV. You can practically count the leaves on the trees everything is so much bigger. Years ago when our last big console TV went out, struck by lightening and could not be fixed, for a whole year we watched the tiny little 9 inch TV we had bought for the camper. It was really a pain, the show Hero's was on back then, and every time the Japanese guy started talking I had to get up off the couch and go up to the TV to read the captioning on the bottom of the screen to see what he was saying. Finally some friends took pity and gave us an old 19 inch when they got a new one. It was a major improvement too, but nothing like the new one we have now.