xisto Community
iGuest

How To Control Sleep

I AM 17 , AND I AM IN 12TH CLASS AND PREPARING FOR ENGINEERING ITS MY HIGH TIME TO STUDY BUT I CANNOT CONTROL MY SLEEP WHICH KEEPS ON FRUSTRATING MORE AND MORE. PLEASE I BEG YOU TO HELP ME..PLEASE..!! I AM NOT ABLE TO STUDY FOR THREE TO FOUR HOURS WITH FULL CONCENTRATION DUE TO YAWNING AND FEELING SLEEPY ALTHOUGH I AM HAVING A NICE AMOUNT OF NIGHT SLEEP ALSO. PLEASE HELP ME. :mellow:

Sorry, I dont quite understand what you mean? You can't control your sleep? If you mean going by what you said in your post you are awake during the night and fall asleep during the day? Are you on a gaming console, laptop or anything like that before you go bed or during the night? That may be the cause. When you go to bed your brain is over active and not resting. I usually try to watch a movie before I sleep or while I get to sleep to help calm my brain power if that makes sense?

What activities do you have besides school?It is important that you get some physical exercise during the day and each day.Go for a walk before you go to bed, or go swimming for an hour per day, or do a few miles of jogging.I believe there are three important aspects to being Human. Spiritual, mental and physical. We need some balace in each of these areas in order to lead a full life.If you are not sleeping properly, becoming more active will assist you in sleeping, which will lead to better performance at your classes.

Edited by jlhaslip (see edit history)

Its all because of lot of stress you have at the back of your mind because this is the mark that is going to decide your future, even i have experienced this at your stage. You can do some meditation for 10 minutes two times a day, that will definitely help your stress levels flee away. Fix your study timings and have some time for you for short entertainment, don't keep on having your book in hand. If you feel very sleepy, just keep your books away and close your eyes for sometime and watch your breath for 10 minutes, you will definitely find improvement with it. Apart from that, healthy food habits is also a must, try to have low cholesterol, light diet and at regular intervals, have lot of salads, fruits, soups,.. etc.

A proper amount of sleep is always necessary to keep your brain and mind fresh.So why should anyone refrain from having adequate sleep to keep himself awake and study?What if after rigorous study he/she starts finding that whatever studied till date is forgotten at the exam table? So studying by burning midnight oil will all go in vain.But yes it has to be kept in mind that the study that is done by keeping one's mind open will come handy while answering question papers during exam.There are people who find late night study when everyone goes to sleep and there is tranquility everywhere as an apt time to study but there are some other set of people who find early morning study as useful. So one must try to find which one is convenient for you. To keep yourself awake all night or the other way around.

Edited by Ananya (see edit history)

Your problem is not an isolated one.I remember facing the same issue while I was preparing for my Master's degree.I couldn't control falling asleep and had to struggle to stay awake. It became so serious that I had to consult a doctor to get rid of the problem. The doctor after investigation found out that I had issues with my liver and began with some medication to rectify it.i would suggest that you should be certain about your problem that is actually causing you to yawn and feel sleepy abnormally. You can review your daily routine and if required consult a physician who can guide you even better.

It might help if you choose a different time to study. Sometimes, no matter how well we sleep at night, we have a sleepy period during the day. Every one is different so you may have to experiment a little to figure out what works for you. For example, every time I eat during the middle part of the day, it doesn't matter what time in the afternoon I eat, I get sleepy afterwords. Doesn't matter if i eat lunch at noon or 3 pm, after I eat I get sleepy. So, before you start to study, don't have a snack. Try that. Also, getting outside in the fresh air can bring you around. If you can, take a short walk around outside before you start your studies. It also helps if you can keep on a regular schedule, get up and go to bed at close to the same time every day. Do make sure you get plenty of rest. Stressing out over it is only going to make it worse, so try to relax.

Hi all]

Hope everyone ok.Now going to the topic that how to contol sleep? From my point of view that i like to take tea of coffe to control my sleep some timmes i wash my eyes with water ....

Controlling Sleep...

• Controlling sleep comes at a cost...The more times passes after you have slept, the more tired, dull etc. you feel, thereby decreasing your performance.
  • Indulge in your task and keep DISTRACTIONS away.
  • Use PowerNaps or Meditation to charge up at regular intervals.
  • Eat while you are indulged in your Work / Task to ensure you do not sleep.
  • Avoid things like Music while you are studying....
  • If you are spending time alone... on your Task. Use TV to feel some activity around you. If you are focussing on something... you might wanna put the TV on mute or very low volume.
  • Just before Sleeping, Distract yourSelf and DeStress! Else, you will Not Feel Fresh after you Wake up. Kind of defeats the entire purpose of staying awake.
  • Your Body is not a Wonder Machine, Controlling Sleep = just temporary Hyper Drive to Accomplish your Goals, you must compensate by adequate sleep later.
  • Controlling Sleep may cause mood swings...

Controlling Sleep...

Controlling sleep comes at a cost...The more times passes after you have slept, the more tired, dull etc. you feel, thereby decreasing your performance.

Indulge in your task and keep DISTRACTIONS away.

Use PowerNaps or Meditation to charge up at regular intervals.

Eat while you are indulged in your Work / Task to ensure you do not sleep.

Avoid things like Music while you are studying....

If you are spending time alone... on your Task. Use TV to feel some activity around you. If you are focussing on something... you might wanna put the TV on mute or very low volume.

Just before Sleeping, Distract yourSelf and DeStress! Else, you will Not Feel Fresh after you Wake up. Kind of defeats the entire purpose of staying awake.

Your Body is not a Wonder Machine, Controlling Sleep = just temporary Hyper Drive to Accomplish your Goals, you must compensate by adequate sleep later.

Controlling Sleep may cause mood swings...

This is all good advice! To add on, when sleeping is really difficult, there are usually medications you can take. The actual disorder is "insomnia," but you don't want to be reliant upon medications unless you truly have the disorder and really need the help.

I sometimes wonder which is the most important to being able to get to sleep, being physically tired or mentally. I can work my rear off all day and be so tired I can't raise an eyebrow, but once in awhile I can't go to sleep. If my brain is cranking out lots of problems, there is just no way I can go to sleep. And I have noticed one other thing that drives me crazy. If I know that for some reason I have to get up early in the morning, I'm 10 times more likely to have trouble falling asleep. It's like I'm telling myself I need to get to sleep now so I won't be so tired, but then I suppose I get to worrying about whatever it is that I have to get up early about and that ends any chance of me getting to sleep. Drives me crazy.

I sometimes wonder which is the most important to being able to get to sleep, being physically tired or mentally. I can work my rear off all day and be so tired I can't raise an eyebrow, but once in awhile I can't go to sleep. If my brain is cranking out lots of problems, there is just no way I can go to sleep. And I have noticed one other thing that drives me crazy. If I know that for some reason I have to get up early in the morning, I'm 10 times more likely to have trouble falling asleep. It's like I'm telling myself I need to get to sleep now so I won't be so tired, but then I suppose I get to worrying about whatever it is that I have to get up early about and that ends any chance of me getting to sleep. Drives me crazy.

Mental, for sure. Actually, even while you're sleeping you are thinking at full-speed, you just aren't aware of it (when you are, that's when you remember dreams, and when you aren't, you don't).

I'm the same way... if my brain is tired I'm good to go. If my body is, I just yawn a lot. The best case is when both happen!

"The best case is when both happen!"

Oh boy, you got that right! I just love it when I can lay down, get out all the kinks and knots, get that comfy relaxed feeling, and know full well that my brain is going to stop and let me get right off to sleep! It's such a great feeling!