xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
prashansas

Vacations

Vacations for me were always at my grandmother's house in my hometown. Pune as a city is well-known for all the forts from the time of Shivaji rule eg: Shaniwar wada and Sihagad fort. I remember as a child how eagerly i waited for these vacations and for the different recipies my granny prepared for us and all the different kinds of pickels she prepared during the summers. I enjoyed learning from her. The day our class teacher would say school's going to be closed down for summer vacations, I would wait to get back home and pack my bags to drive down to pune. As we had our own car we never had a problem of driving down.

I always enjoyed the journey to pune because we had to cross the ghats of lonawala and khandala. where we would get to see the beautiful scenery and sometimes a nice waterfall over the mountains and drive through the clouds covering the ghats. After we reached pune we had our schedule set for the vacation.

I remember me along with my cousins would get up early in the morning at around 6.30am and go with our uncle to Parvati which is on quit a height and people usually go there for their morning walks. Then we would spend a few days with our relatives. Pune is got a lot of beautiful gardens well designed and huge the oldest among them is Sarasbagh which is well known for it's temple, and beautiful fish pond. Every evening we would go to this garden and spend our evenings there. Then we would do horse riding and the best thing about this garden was that it had different fast food centers with a variety of items. My favourite fast food center was where we used to have pav bhaji. After that we would have some nice bhel and carry some on the way home and a nice chocolate flavored Ice-cream. I remember as a child I would enjoy visiting Rajiv Gandhi Zoological Park where we had a variety of animals, different kinds of snakes including the King cobra which is removed only on the sunday and many people visit the zoo just to watch this kind cobra. Also the big Vulture, the white tiger, porcupine, small rabbits etc and boating.Then we have the well - known Raja Dinkar Kelkar Museum and the Sambhaji park where you even have an aquarium. I just love spending my vacations in my hometown Pune.

I would love to go to a place, where there is greenery, mountains, river and some good people around you...spend some time there and stay there for a while.In rainy season I would like to go to Lonavala. For trekking and some adventure, there are many places in Maharashtra, which I would like to explore.Elephanta Caves is really fun to be there. Got the opportunity to see some ancient sculptures, which really hold my breath, that how they did it. At that time what was the technology involved in it. Even in the present era, with the best technology, we cannot imagine anything like that...it is simply awesome. In Ganesh puja I would like to be in Mumbai. During durga puja I would like to go to KolKatta.Haridwar and Varanasi is a place, which I would like to watch. There are many Northern places, which still needs to be explored by me. Like I say Jaipur, New Delhi and Kasi. But at the end I can say the best place is the place, where your own people stay, whose presence always matters to you...