xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
ramron12

Action Vs Horror

I like both genres, but only when they're mixed properly with everything else that makes a good movie. I don't like movies that are solely action, because that ends up feeling like the director just bragging about all the different pyrotechnics he can afford, and that just isn't appealing. A good example was Transformers. During the second movie, I remember falling asleep in the middle. Mind you, I never fall asleep during movies, and have always thought the expression an exaggeration of how boring a movie is. Yet, somehow, the second movie managed to lull me to sleep half way in the middle. I woke up and was just as uninterested as before.The sad part is, I wasn't even on a date. I was with my other (male) friends, and all of us found the movie boring, which is sad considering it is a movie geared specifically towards the male audience. While that fact can be refuted, the rather unimportant role of actors like Megan Fox in the movie, contrast to how much sex appeal they protrude, was easy to see. I get bored with an endless onslaught of fighting or graphics unless there's some meaning behind it, something deeper that is easier to relate to.The same stands for horror. I hate horror movies that are just about scares and shocking scenes. If I wanted to hear quick bursts of loud and scary sounds, I'd get married. One example of a boring horror movie was the latest Nightmare on Elm Street. It's predictable and formulaic, and relies on its sudden bursts of scary noise and scenery to 'scare' its audience, while it does not invest any brain power in actually frightening us beyond the screen.One action movie I really liked was Police Story, by Jackie Chan. It's an old one, but it's a classic example of a story that is, at its core, an action movie. There are fight scenes left and right, and the scenes are so stunt-oriented that Jackie Chan has burned off his palm while doing the movie. Yet, somehow, no point in the movie made me feel as if I was being thrown a superfluous stream of action scenes that I did not need. The story progressed and the action scenes -helped- that progression. That's what I liked the most about the movie, that the genius action scenes 'helped' the movie, and did not make it. Similarly, a recent horror movie that i liked was Paranormal Activity. I know that there have been various opinions about this movie but I feel that it was very well made. It did not rely on sudden loud noises to scare us, but planted a fear in the viewer that came from the unknown. It let us use our imagination to give form to the formless ghost that wandered the house, and soon the fear of the actors in the movie became something that we have all been able to relate to. That kind of scary, where the loud scenes and the dramatic camera work is not the entirety of the spook, is the kind of scary that I want.I guess what it all comes down to is how the action and the horror is used.But unfortunately, I also don't think that the scales are balanced. That is to say, even with the same amount of mastery in horror and action, and given the same degree of decency for the rest of the film, I think that the reception of both types of films will differ. Why? Because the reception of horror movies is vastly more negative than that of action movies. When it comes to action movies, we all know that what happens in the screen is fake and that certain parts are meant for dramatic fights while the other parts are meant for comedic showdowns. Thus, when two viewers go to the movies to watch these fight scenes, no one comes out of the movie with any embedded emotion. That is what a movie should be like.Unfortunately, with horror movies, the scary aspect of them challenges something intrinsic to all men (and some women). The majority of us do not like to admit that we were scared by scenes in the movie, or are still haunted by the feelings that they gave us. So, after watching a movie that scared the wits out of a viewer, they might be urged to rebel against the insecurity that their own fright brings about, by negatively remarking on the film. This general sentiment of rebellion against scary movies, where people immediately claim that it was not scary and that it did not even spook them, serves to drape the entire horror movie industry in a sense of ridicule. After-all, what faster way to play off your fear than by laughing at what you're really afraid of?As such, I think as a SOCIETY, we like action movies better.But I, personally, like horror movies better, because in the battle field of horror movie ratings, finding a good scary movie is an accomplishment all on its own.

I love action movies. Not much interested in horror movies. Recently I saw the movie Avengers. I really liked it. Superheroes movie interests me a lot...movies of superman, batman, spider-man, hulk, Iron man, transformer series and even movies like First Blood series, Rocky series of Sylvester Stallone, Arnold Schwarzenegger movies like commando, predator, terminator, eraser, true lies, Bruce lee movies like fist of fury, enter the dragon, and big boss. Jackie chan movies mixed with some comedy. It is really entertaining. Jackie Chan along with Chris Tucker in Rush Hour series. Watching this movie really refreshes me a lot...tom cruise in mission impossible series, Bruce Willis in Die Hard series. Even the cartoon movie Kung-Fu Panda. I Enjoy a lot watching this movies. The James bond movies. Any movies of James bond, especially the Bond movies starring Daniel Craig.Even movies of Jason statham in transporter series, the action was too quick and fast. So the list is endless where I am always in search of good action movies. So after watching this action movies I get charged up and I am ready to take some more challenges in my real life.

I don't enjoy action movies leaving some of Hrithik Roshan's.But to me Horror movies rock. They put you in an ultimate thrill like situation where you can't imagine what's going to happen next.Some horror films put us in a challenge where it becomes really a matter of daring to watch it all alone in a dark room.

I am not able to connect with horror movies. When I walk in a dark place, no matter what the time is...I feel very comfortable, but when it comes to watch a horror movie. It feels irritating watching the ghosts and even scenes, where something unexpected happens. Some horror movies I have watched, it seems very funny for me. What the director wants to show? I don't know. Is he making fun of a ghost or is he trying to make us laugh. One movie I have seen that is 1920 (Hindi). I was laughing at the climax scene, where the ghost is shown flying in the air and the hero holds her leg and pulls her back...Even some english movies, make me laugh. The question is if you really want the audience has to fear watching your movie. Then I have seen some horror movies, that are really appreciable. But most horror movies are dumb movies.

Horror movies can be good for entertainment. But some movies I personally feel are not good for us to watch. Everything shown in these kind of movies never give a positive impact on people and small children because it is full of negativity and threat. Also it shows that to some extend God has no control over Evil whereas it's the opposite. Any kind of evil cannot stand before God even for a moment because God is all powerful and evil has to submit before him.