xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
ritu

The Shock Continues.............

It was the year following to the one when my father passed away, we could barely recover from the grief ,that we had a new reason to worry. One evening,me , my mother and sister were out to pay a visit to my uncle's place , we had just come out of our lane and were about to touch the main road when a bike-ridden person arrived in front of us, his face fully covered with a helmet , as he stopped very close to us , we thought it was an acquaintance, but in a fraction of a second, he bashed his hands against my mother's neck, snatched the chain and rode away with a partner. Stricken with shock and disbelief, we could do nothing but try to chase, but in vain. It was our own locality where we would feel the safest, now it was no longer this way. We were advised to lodge a complaint with the police, yet nothing came out as a result. To do our bit, we spread the news in the locality, so that the others get cautious but the so called "chain snatchers" were well ahead of the game, they would devise new ways of accomplishing their task. Henceforth, a lot of reports could be heard about more of chain snatching, but no reports of the snatchers came.Even after seven years , the same incidents continue to happen, and the cops still fail to trace them. Anyone would wonder how it is possible to live fearlessly in such an environment, the residents of our locality after wondering in the same way, have now decided to live with the insecurity and recently I have heard that in a few cases, they have put up a combat. They have now prepared themselves to face the trouble in their own ways.

It seems no matter where we are we are always at risk. I'm sorry this happened to you. Its never a good thing to be the victom of a crime. But it happens all the time. The biggest reason this continues is that for the most part, the criminals get away with it. I'm glad to hear you reported it at least, it's just a shame that nothing came of it. Criminals will continue their bad behaviour as long as there are unlikely to be consequences for their actions. Now, since the police can't be every where all the time, it is up to each and every one of us to put a stop to unacceptable social behaviour. And there are plenty of ways to do this. You don't even have to carry a gun, though that helps emmensly, or be a strong man or black belt karate expert. Even if you are not the actual victim, you can provide additional information about the criminals to the police that the actual victim may of been to started or scared to notice at the time of the inciedent. If you see someone snatch a purse and run away, you can stick out your foot and trip them as they go by you. If not that, watch and see where they go, and if they meet up with anyone else. Shoot, in this day and age, nearly everyone has a cell phone camera, a good picture of the criminal will help a lot in making an arrest. There are all sorts of things every single one of us can do. And until we do all that we can to as the McGruff Dog says, take a bite out of crime, it will continue to make us all feel insecure and take some of the pleasure from our lives. If you are the victim, even if you are unarmed and a small person, you are not completely defenceless. Grab the arm reaching for you and bash it down on the car window, or give it a good twist, or even bite the devil of of them. It's hard to grab something when you arm is broken. And a broken or bitten arm is hardly worth stealing a trinket for.

You are right, when the only option available with the commoners is resorting to the police, but they fail to deliver, the ultimate instrument left is to take the initiative ourselves, at least that way the criminals who are no longer scared of the police will think twice before committing an offense, as they would be doubtful about the policies of our self defence. In fact the people have already opted in reality to combat crime this way. Criminals...... be careful :angry:

Yes, it's just not possible for the police to be everywhere. A person needs to take some responsibility for their own safety. It is after all, your life we are talking about here. It's amazing the little things you can do to make a difference. The big thing is not to freak out. Keep your wits about you, be quick to judge your options and possibilites for a different outcome than getting ripped off. Always be aware of your surroundings. Keep your eyes and ears open and know what's going on around you at all times.