xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
sheepdog

Psycho-White-Cosmos

Has anyone grown Psycho, the white blooming variety of Cosmos? I would dearly love to have some seed, but I hate the thought of paying a couple dollars for the seed, and then $4-5 dollars just to have it mailed to me. I'd happily send someone a stamped self addressed envalope if they had some spare seed. Would also like to know more about the plant too, how tall it grows, etc. I've been collecting different colors of Cosmos for a few years now. I got some of the reds and oranges a few years ago, and I was a bit dissapointed in that the folage of the plant is a great deal different than the pretty, delicate folage of the regular cosmos. I was curous at to what the folage of this variety of white is like. I have tried for several years now to also increase my regular white cosmos, I carefully save the seed from the white blooms, but every year it seems many of those seeds still produce the various shades of purple instead of white. I'm wondering if it cross pollinates, or just doesn't breed true.

The kind of breed that you desire may be achieved if you sow the seeds two weeks before the last frost. For further details you can refer to SeedCorner. Hope you will have your problem solved.

Thank you for the link. It's probably too late to order seeds for this year, but I just may have to break down next year and order some. I did break down this year and buy a package of regular white cosmos seed to plant in one of my smaller flower beds. I have always planted my cosmos in the big flower bed, and the purple shades are so predominent, there was hardly ever any white blooms, so I've tried for several years now to save more white seen, but it just doesn't seem to help for some reason. Sometimes I actually think the white plants seeds will end up being purple when you grow them the next year. Kinda been driving me crazy.I hoped some new seed would come closer to staying white since it woudln't be gettting any cross polination from all the purple blooms.

Just wanted to update this post, I'd still love to have some Psycho Cosmos seed if anyone is growing any. It's early enough that I can still order some later if I just absolutely have to, just hoping to get out of the big shipping and handling fees.

Well I finally just bit the bullet and bought some seed. I just Googled Psycho White Cosmos and at the first web site I found they had not only the white, but 4 other really neat varieties that I didn't have either. I found Candy striped Cosmos, Gloria Cosmos, Double click Cosmos, which is a full petal flower almost looks like a mum, and sea shells cosmos, which the petals curl up and form what looks like little tubes instead of flat petals. And the shipping was just $2.50, so that wasn't quite as bad as I had expected. Oh yea, didn't I mention I didn't have the garden planting spring urges yet when I got my first seed catalog of the season? Oh well. Guess that one snuck up on my. Hopefully they will grow well and I can get some pictures next summer of the different new varieties.