xisto Community
mzwebfreak

Good Blogging Program

Have already searched through the cgi and addon scripts present in the hosting package, but they're not customizable enough for me. I need something that I can modify in php to conform to the layout design of my site. I remember greymatter, but does anyone know of any other user interfaced bloggers that I can get without having to pay a bundle for???

I need something that I can modify in php to conform to the layout design of my site.

Well, I'm not sure how much you want to customize your blog, but if you really want to customize things a lot then MoveableType is often seen as the blog of choice for people who really want to customize things a lot.
If it's just the layout things you are worried about you could go for something else. I've heard good tings about WordPress.

Here is a comparison chart between a lot of different blogging systems. The person who made the chart has also written about the choice they made, here. Perhaps you should check the choice page first, it is a bit easier to read.

Thanks for the info...have WordPress right now, but don't think I'm too happy with it, so I may end up changing over to Moveable Type...it seems more able to do what I want it to do, since I basically just wanted a blog I can use for updates on my domain, like how the index page is now.

WORDPRESS is best. And they have two options:1-You can put up a blog on their srveror2-You can download their software and upload to your own server or any free server like Xisto.In my opinion the option-2 is better since you will have nice modifications options.Also you can put your own ADs on the blog if you host in on a personal server.

Qumana is another good choice, I think.It's free and easy to use. There is an advertisement program(like Adsence) coming w/ it too.I don't remember the name, but it's really useful.Never tried Wordpress, but I'll soon.

Have already searched through the cgi and addon scripts present in the hosting package, but they're not customizable enough for me. I need something that I can modify in php to conform to the layout design of my site. I remember greymatter, but does anyone know of any other user interfaced bloggers that I can get without having to pay a bundle for???

I would suggest Pivot from http://pivotlog.net/. Like GreyMatter it does not need MySQL and the themes are easy to modify.

well why dont you guys try to make your own blog system all you need is a simple thing your mysql db, that's why i love Xisto, you can use the resources these guys provide us and create whatever we want but well.... i know i know if you create your own blogging application wouldnt be easier just to install the script?... well yep as a first instance but honestly there are times in which i would like to change something but i do not know where or how....haha that's why i preffer doing my own scripts for things such as those blogs, chats, boards etc.

I recommend Wordpress too. Its one of the premier blogging scripts on the internet mostly widely used for personal blogs. It works with your mysql database and php coding with html of course. Its not hard to work it at all. It should be included in your Fantastico autoscript installer. Even if its not its still easy to install. There are themes that you download and apply to your wordpress. There are tons of plugins and hacks that you can use to make wordpress work with applications such as flickr, galleries, crosspost with xanga, etc. There's lots of support if you need help with wordpress. So WP is the way to go.

Wordpress is my choice. It is offers you all the features that you'd expect from a blogging CMS. There are several thousands of extensions to add more features to your blog. You can get thousands of free Wordpress themes. Or you can create your own, it is rally very easy. Just you need to know the basics of PHP and web designing, and with the Wordpress Codex for reference.Other options will be the free personal edition of MovableType Blog platform, drupal.

well, i'm just re-iterating what most people here have mentioned. use Wordpress. that's the best blogging application you can use for your hosting. i'm using one for my blog. i used to write my own php code for my blog, but for a neophyte like me in php, i could really use some help. right now, i'm starting on making my own template for my blog and put some relevant plugins and widgets like gravatar. at least my background in php would make me understand most of the codes in wordpress.and if i'm really excited, i might consider making a Java-based blogging tool that's a lot like wordpress. :lol: