xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Vistz

Android App - Optimize Your Route

So it's winter break for me and I thought I would make the most out of it it. I developed an Android app called Chauffeur. Basically, if you have a route (errands/delivery route), you can put all the addresses into Chauffeur and it will tell you the fastest way to complete it and come back home :). I have a trial version and a paid version. In the trial version, you can add up to 5 addresses and in the paid one, it is unlimited. There are no ads in either one since I personally would have found them annoying. Here are some pictures :D

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

That's a pretty cool app and looks clean. I like the GUI.But how does it calculate what is the "optimal route?" Does it use the total distance or account for speeds? Ex. 20 miles at 30MPH is a lot slower than 30 at 60MPH. And does it also account for things like construction, toll roads, etc.?

That's a pretty cool app and looks clean. I like the GUI. But how does it calculate what is the "optimal route?" Does it use the total distance or account for speeds? Ex. 20 miles at 30MPH is a lot slower than 30 at 60MPH. And does it also account for things like construction, toll roads, etc.?

My algorithm takes into account the total distance between all addresses. It is basically an implementation of the Traveling Salesman problem.

Edited by OpaQue (see edit history)

Wow, that is amazing. Tell me - did you code the app yourself or did you get a software company to do it for you? I've heard stories where people invest about $2000 for software companies to make an app for them and it turned out to be so popular that they got $33000 in one night back. :) So that is amazing.IF you have coded it yourself I would like to know where you can learn the skills? :P Thanks. I hope you app will become successful like some stories I hear. Cheers!!!

Wow, that is amazing. Tell me - did you code the app yourself or did you get a software company to do it for you? I've heard stories where people invest about $2000 for software companies to make an app for them and it turned out to be so popular that they got $33000 in one night back. :) So that is amazing.
IF you have coded it yourself I would like to know where you can learn the skills? :P Thanks. I hope you app will become successful like some stories I hear.

Cheers!!!

I coded the entire app myself (I don't have that kind of money to spend ;) ). As for where I learned how to develop apps, I read some tutorials online and tried some sample apps. If you could download my app and give me some feedback, I would really appreciate it. :D

Try looking here to get started: https://developer.android.com/index.html