xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
sheepdog

Getting Computer To Recognise Camera

A few years ago, I purchased a samsung S860 camera at our local swap meet. It seems to work just fine, nice little camera, it does take pictures and everthing, the only problem is I can't get my computer to recognise that the camera is plugged into it and can't download pictures. I've tried everything I know to do. I went online and downloaded the instructions for the camera, drivers, etc. Nothing seems to work. I even took the camera to my sister in laws when we took our vacation to try it on her computer to see if it was just my computer. That didn't help either. I had just pretty much given up on it, but today my regular Cyber shot camera started acting up, I think the power button is getting weak, I like to never got it to come on. Since we are broke as usual, buyig a new camera is out of the questions so I got out they Samsung and have been messing around with trying to get it to work again. The only thing I can see right off is that the cord I got with the Samsung to hook it to the computer says it's Kodak, but the plug into the camera fits just fine, so I don't see why that would be a problem. I sure would like to be able to use this one, for when my other one bites the dust, which I'm now paranoid will happen at any time. Any suggestions or ideas would be appreciated.

You can skip using the usb cable and remove the SD Card from your camera and insert it into the computer (or card-reader). Shouldn't need any drivers for that. If nothing pops up with the cable or card, make sure you look in "My Computer" to see if it's there. You could try uninstalling the Kodak software before installing the Samsung software. You might find it under "Add/Remove Programs".

Yes, that is right, if your computer has a built-in card reader, you can just slot your memory card in and the computer will treat it as a separate drive.

(You will see it appear in "My Computer" as another drive with a letter one higher than the normally highest one).

I mean, if your CD/DVD drive has the highest letter (for example "D"), after slotting in your memory card, you should notice a "Removeable Drive 'E'" has appeared in your list.

However, I am not sure why your system would refuse to recognise your camera.

What OS are you using?

(Normally Windows Vista and Windows 7 automatically recognise new hardware and automatically install drivers for the new hardware).

Have you tried going to the Samsung website and looking for drivers?

Anyway, I had a look for you, and a driver, along with a manual and even firmware (be careful with that) can be downloaded here.

Mind you, it is the UK website, but the software should make no difference.

If not, try the American Samsung website.

Give it a try and let me know how you get on, please.

Oh, before I forget, Happy New Year to you.

Oops, just notice the driver is for Windows 98, but you might be able to run it in compatibility mode.

Is the S860 an older model?

Anyway, hope that helps, please let me know how you get on.

Edited by mrdee (see edit history)

The camera itself could be faulty as well, in that it may not be directly readable. This would be much like when a flash drive goes bad. It may not be the case (and I'd follow the advice from mrdee) but it is a possibility to take into consideration as well.

Gosh, I don't even know how to find the memory card in the camera, and I just looked over my computer, I don't see anything except a plug in for a usb cord and headphones and maybe a microphone? So far the old Sony is still hanging in there, but I've taken thousands of pictures with it, sooner or later it's bound to bite the dust. "Have you tried going to the Samsung website and looking for drivers?"Yes, I did do this, when I downloaded the instruction book for it. Didn't help.

Sheepdog have you tried going to the shop you bought the camera and ask them about what might be wrong with the camera maybe they can help you.i hope your camera will start working soon.

Sometimes it is with the USB cord specially with Samsung, they might be Samsung only used lines that are missing on the Standard cables. I am using such Fuji USB cord to download files from one of my Samsung device and was frustated that I can copy the files from the Device and charge it but I cant use it as a webcam or a camera. Swapping the original Samsung USB make things work.There are also some toggles on the Samsung device console/panel that can disable the communication from the computer to the Samsung Device.************The only thing you are sure with standard cables are the following1. Device that supports charging can charge2. Device that supports "external" storage setting will add an extra drive on your computer3. Basic Video transmission for video supported devicesThe rest are non-standard like the built-in microphone on your webcam which is why webcams are mostly ship with a non detachable USB cord.

Sometimes it is with the USB cord specially with Samsung, they might be Samsung only used lines that are missing on the Standard cables. I am using such Fuji USB cord to download files from one of my Samsung device and was frustated that I can copy the files from the Device and charge it but I cant use it as a webcam or a camera. Swapping the original Samsung USB make things work.
There are also some toggles on the Samsung device console/panel that can disable the communication from the computer to the Samsung Device.

The only thing you are sure with standard cables are the following
1. Device that supports charging can charge
2. Device that supports "external" storage setting will add an extra drive on your computer
3. Basic Video transmission for video supported devices

The rest are non-standard like the built-in microphone on your webcam which is why webcams are mostly ship with a non detachable USB cord.

I actually did not know anything about this.. that's kind of interesting. I was under the impression that all USB cables were essentially the same (aside from the whole USB 2.0 vs USB 3.0 and the USB Mini vs. the full size). I haven't had any devices, at least to my knowledge, that worked any differently with one cable than with another.

sheepdog,On your Samsung camera, open up the cover that holds the battery. Somewhere in that compartment, there should be a memory card. Push it to partially eject it, and then pull it out. Most cameras have limited on-board storage memory, so there is bound to be a memory card in there somewhere.Speaking of low memory on-board in cameras, I remember a Panasonic Lumix camera that I had stashed in a drawer somewhere that has a twelve megapixel resolution but with only enough space to store about sixteen photographs. Yes, that's right, the camera has a resolution of twelve megapixels, putting it at the top of the camera pyramid, if there ever was a camera pyramid, back in its time yet they only provided enough storage for sixteen photographs. I guess that space too was provided only to be able to demonstrate the features of the camera while at the store. For all practical purposes, it needs a memory card. The same was the case with an old VGA resolution camera that was bundled with the Nokia 9210i Communicator. It could store about sixteen photographs and for anything more, you had to either transfer the photographs via infrared or you had to use a memory card to store the photographs. That camera didn't even have a rechargeable battery and run on two AA-sized batteries, which ran out rather quickly if they were the 1.2V rechargeable batteries - it actually demanded regular 1.5V non-rechargeable alkaline batteries.