xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Spathi

Anyone Here Try Suse Linux Personal 9.1? If you havent, your missing out

I'm happy. I converted from Mandrake Linux 10.0 to SUSE Linux Personal Edition 9.1. Both this version of SUSE and Mandrake (both of which are kick-*bottom* distrobutions) can be downloaded at linuxiso.org SUSE is one hell of a Windows alternative. I've been using Windows since about 1996, and i've been using it litteraly since Windows 3.1. I still remember good ol' DOS. can you imagine a 6 year old navigating his way through DOS like a pro? :DAnyways, the SUSE installation is easier than even Windows XP's installation. At the time of installation, i had a Windows XP install, and a mandrake 10.0. Now, this made me laugh my *bottom* off. During the installation, it detected my partitions. I had one NTFS for Windows, and three Linux partitions. It left my Windows partition alone, but sure was quick to tell me it wanted to reformat the mandrake partitions. :DInstallation was basicly "click next", followed by "click next", followed by another, and so on. And, unlike the Windows XP install, you don't have to sort through what you want to be installed, since it dosent install any BS anyways (i did a thourough search of what was gonna be installed, no BS, unlike XP which wanted to install tons of crap on my system).Once installation is completed and you reboot your system, instead of seeing the Windows XP screen an usual, your greeted by a neat looking boot loader. By default, it uses GRUB, which a lot of people like, but i didn't try it, and instead i used LILO as my boot loader (which i highly recomend, as i've only used GRUB once, for Red Hat 9, and i didn't like it too much). Once you get to the login screen, you have to log in as the root user (in windows, known as administrator), then find your way to the part where you create a new user in the admin panel. took me about 15 minutes to find, but keep in mind that i'm a total moron. :DUsing SUSE is a breeze. By default, it comes with WINE, which is basicly a Windows Emulator for Linux. It won't emulate your games very well, but it can emulate just about everything else. And, *gasp*, IT ACTUALY WORKED WITHOUT ME HAVING TO DO ANYTHING EXTRA!! Take THAT ELX Linux ;) If you want to game in SUSE, you'll have to subscribe to Transgaming.com and download Cedega, which was previously known as WineX. According to their games database, almost every modern game is supported by Cedega, even Half-Life 2. Only problem is that Freelancer dosent appear to be able to be emulated by jack crap. Maybe VMWare can do it, but i dunno much about it. However, nevertheless, gaming IS possible in Linux. with WINE, to emulate a program, you just crack open the console, and type "wine (insert path to whatever program you wanna emulate here)", then hit enter. That simple, even Harvey could do it. And you can also create desktop shortcuts, much like in Windows, and have them pointing to windows executables, and give them the wine command, so that way you won't have to enter the console every time you wanted to run notepad :PSecurity is an non-issue as far as i know. As long as your not running some crap like apache, your virtualy totaly safe. assuming you DO get hacked, as long as they can't get in to your root account, the worst they can do is mess up your user account, and then you could log in to root and create another, if not fix the damage. Viruses is prettymuch a non-issue as well, sine virtualy every virus is targetted at the monopoly OS, commonly known as Windows. you'll feel MUCH more secure in Linux than you will in Windows, because it's much harder to cause serious damage to your OS, your free from spyware unless you purposly install the crap yourself, and viruses are only a hazard if installed by your root account :DSpeed wise, SUSE takes just a very small bit longer to load than windows XP does, by about 5 seconds according to my watch, and is faster to load than Mandrake 10.0 on my system by about 4 seconds.Stability-wise, your system virtualy never crashes. if something locks up and you can't exit it, you just log out and log back in. much better than the three fingered windows salute, 'eh? :D Overall, if your willing to pay $5 a month for Cedega (assuming your a gamer, if not you'll be fine with regular WINE), you've got yourself one hell of a Windows alternative. If i can use SUSE without getting a severe headache, anyone can. SUSE is easier to install and use than even Mandrake, although it dosent come as loaded with extra, mostly useless programs like Mandrake does. My only complaint, and this is a rather large complaint, is that, by default, SUSE dosent come pre-loaded with Mozilla Firefox. Although it's easy to install, just DL it and run the file and click next from there, it still would be nice for it to come standard with the ultimate web browser :D

This is really long I must admit :DI use suse 9.2 pro ;)I supose that is better than 9.1 :PYes cedega is good but there is games to play on linux, you know wesnoth ofkors and the other game is UT 2004, i have instalation for linux on windows cd so it is win/linux game :DI don't support cedega and wine :DBecause of them developers don't create games for linux so much, there will be better that autors of cedega create games and not cedega, it's god but it's bad so...

I had to scrap my all beloved (Pronounciation: be-love-ed) Linux because I simply can't uphold two OSes and Windows seems to run 75% of apps that I can do on Linux. Until, there are wicked things on Linux that I can't do with Windows, I might reconsider going back, but I kept Linux (SUSE LINUX 9.2 Pro) on my laptop. Now, back to the topic, it's nice to see a nice report on SuSE 9.1, but you're 0.1 version away from the newest version. Plus, you should install apt4rpm so you can grab apps faster. I recommend you use the XOrg server instead of the XFree86 server as it is a beta version and not the full thing on SUSE 9.1.xboxrulz

>>Overall, if your willing to pay $5 a month for Cedega (assuming your a gamer, if not you'll be fine with regular WINE), you've got yourself one hell of a Windows alternative.
It's not needed as you can see here http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ there is lot of games and I don't think that is needed to pay for that, but if someoen really wont he can, but I say there is many games for what people don't know
>>If i can use SUSE without getting a severe headache, anyone can. SUSE is easier to install and use than even Mandrake, although it dosent come as loaded with extra, mostly useless programs like Mandrake does.
>> My only complaint, and this is a rather large complaint, is that, by default, SUSE dosent come pre-loaded with Mozilla Firefox. Although it's easy to install, just DL it and run the file and click next from there, it still would be nice for it to come standard with the ultimate web browser
>>If you use gnome it comes and if you use kde you must install it and this is easy while you install it for first time, there is no problem with that and this is just because of kde :D
(I don't suggest gnome to begginers because is not so nice and good :D, it will probably distract users from linux )
>>get to the login screen, you have to log in as the root user (in windows, known as administrator), then find your way to the part where you create a new user in the admin panel. took me about 15 minutes to find, but keep in mind that i'm a total moron.
You should upgrade to 9.2 because there you create new user within installation and then you just use you local user directory for root directory so you are always logged as root and everything look normal :D

Seems interesting, I wouldn't mind trying out Suse. Eep! xboxrulz... I can't believe I just heard that from you, seeing as you are usually leading some sort of pro-linux rally on here... :angry:. Have to agree there, though. I can still do anything that linux does in windows with Cygwin (otherwise there is usually a windows port of it), so, having a dual boot system became rather pointless. (And I was running out of space).On cedega and wine... you would pay $5 a month to play games you've already paid for? Crazy. You've managed to get Wine to work with no fiddling? Incredible. I spent weeks trying to get Starcraft to run on Wine, I eventually gave in and put win98 on instead. (though, that system now has Debian, since win98 somehow corrupted it's bootup, and I couldn't be bothered to fix it...).

hey sux linux is admitedly great, infact all of the linuxes are great i had the privillege of installing them once on my computer with vmware which is a very good software by the way and well lets just say i have neva been a fun of dos and the whole idea of linux on the shell and all that just freaks me out, hey well i love windows, cant blame me for that, the one thing that bugs me bout the linuxes is the things you have to do to keep them up to date, there are like bug fixes everyday and hey im no comp engenner so keeping up with them can be so hard sometimes, eg. like the time i got suse 9 the public download was free obviously but if you wanted to get updates throught their update manager you had to become a member at their site, and if i remember right that was also the case with mandrake, well i guess i just hate updating stuff, like i neva use the windows update lol....................