xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
DungeoN

Problems Trying To Ghost Mirror My C Drive

Yes I?m sure we all relate to the pain of rebuilding your failed c drive .. not fun .. usually takes me about 25 hours or so to load 25 programs and the data again.Please never again; now I have a dual hard drive machine2X 120 gig identical hard drives and ghost 9 to make a mirror ghost.If c: drive fails I want to boot up from the ghosted driveThe ghosting seems to be complete with all the files, but when I make the ghosted drive the boot drive windows xp will not allow me to log in .. just keeps resetting to ask me to log in again and again. Was thinking a xp repair might be in order. I don?t care if I have to re-initialize my Microsoft office software, I just want to make sure this back drive loadsCan anyone help me here!!Thanks alot

Which software do you use to make ghosts??? I can't use my old software to make ghosts on XP. Please give me the name of the software and if possible the place where I can download it.Thank You.

that's not how you use the ghost image. you are supposed to back up your C: drive by creating an image file NOT an image drive. Save the image file to your D: drive but don't RESTORE it to your D: drive. Then, when your C: drive needs a fresh install... just restore the C: drive from the image file saved on your D: drive.I don't understand why you are doing it the way you are.. it doesn't make much sense to me. I used disk imaging software too and whenever I need to reinstall, it takes me about 15 mins only.

Yeah, that's right. But which software to use for it? The old norton ghost I have doens't make images of XP. Infact the program doesn't even start.

get Acronis. That program is MUCH better than norton ghost.Acronis is1. faster - in terms of both backup and restore2. no need for boot disk - but it is an option3. program is MUCH smaller - around 25 megs (norton is like 400 megs)4. more flexible - norton ghost must restore to a drive with the same size while Acronis can do it to any drive easily5. i think it is cheaper than norton too..6. both norton (v9 and up) and Acronis work with XP.

Can Acronis compress the drive contents? I mean when it makes a ghost does the ghost image siize reduce or is it the same as the drive size? Thank You.

'm glad i'm not the only one that is having this problem with norton ghost.i too have to problem of the non booting new drive, it gets to the welcome screen then the xp logo then nothing it just freezes.when i set up the copy i did check the "copy MBR" but to no availnot to mention having problems setting the jumper settings on my maxtor drives. I set them to what http://www.seagate.com/ said but it still boots from my original drive unless i disconnect it all together than thats when i get the non booting problem.oh well heres hoping i fix it