xisto Community
sheepdog

We Got A Wood Splitter!

After borrowing our friends splitter for several years, we finally found one of our own! I guess Craigs List is good for something, even if you can't advertise dogs on it. It was actually our buddy that spotted it on Craigs List, and told us about it, and not only that, make us a short term loan to buy it. Suppose he was hinting at something? Anyway we got a whale of a deal on it, really cheap, $300, I think the guy thought there was something seriously wrong with it or he wouldn't of sold it so cheap. But the old man fixed it right up and it runs like a champ. Seems to have plenty of power too. We took it out to the woods this afternoon for it's first real workout (and my first wood workout of the season, I'm hoping it was a small enough load today to not make me real sore tommorow.) We put some really big sticks of wood threw it and it worked great. The only thing I don't like about it is that it is a lot smaller than the one we were borrowing, and there is very little room on the beam to fit a stick of wood on, it makes me nervous to be wrestling around a big heavy chunk of wood that close to that demonic looking wedge. Wood slips just a little and you end up with a seriously mashed finger, and I have to type too much to get my hands hurt. But anyway, now we have one of our own finally. I'm sure glad of that. Was kind of a hassel running the borrowed one back and forth all the time.

At first I was confused about what you meant by "wood splitter" and saw a few images and I have to admit, they look a bit menacing. But Congratulations on your new addition :) Maybe you could share a few pictures of your splitter. What do you mainly use the splitter for? And if you don't have a splitter, what are your alternatives?

Wood slips just a little and you end up with a seriously mashed finger,

o.O I am assuming petite people like me are to stay a really safe distance from these machines? How big a tree do you normally chop?

The alternative to not having a wood splitter is using an ax or splitting mall, if your horse enough to swing one. Not a pleasant experience at all! I know from experience, I've sure done enough of it myself. We heat our home with fire wood, and it is enough of a job to cut trees down, cut them up, and load them up and bring it home and then unload it, without having to swing a chopping ax at it all too. Of course, you still have to lift the logs up onto the splitter, so it's still not an easy job keeping warm in the winter. But it will split up a pretty big chunk of wood, anything I am stroung enough to wrestle up on it is fair game. It's almost that time of year again, I am without a doubt, dreading it. The older I get the harder it gets to do.