xisto Community
sniper420

External Harddrive Freezing Computer - Help HELP

Hi I have an external hard drive Transcend 500 GB which has two USB plug ins. I have been using only one cable and it has been working well until recently when I plug into my computer Dell m1330 with Windows XP, it completely freezes my computer and I will have to hard press restart button. I have updated my BIOS tried to restore to previous month, nothing fixes it. Any tip?

Hi I have an external hard drive Transcend 500 GB which has two USB plug ins. I have been using only one cable and it has been working well until recently when I plug into my computer Dell m1330 with Windows XP, it completely freezes my computer and I will have to hard press restart button.
I have updated my BIOS tried to restore to previous month, nothing fixes it. Any tip?

I think you should provide more details about the device such as model name. Overall i would recommend getting the model name, getting to google with the search term "device name driver" should give you up to date results which might fix your problem,

I think you should provide more details about the device such as model name. Overall i would recommend getting the model name, getting to google with the search term "device name driver" should give you up to date results which might fix your problem,

Mine is Transcent 500Gb Storejet

I have the same problem. The strange thing is it does work properly in safe mode, so the drive is OKperhaps a recent windows update has created the problem, or the latest ESET version?

Hello friends,It is something to do with the USB port (on motherboard) malfunctioning and causing a power surge...Does the drive work on any other PC... if not, replace the caddy...Likely the USB port is nerfed....Hope this helped...ThanksVIcky Milza

Hello friends,
It is something to do with the USB port (on motherboard) malfunctioning and causing a power surge...

Does the drive work on any other PC... if not, replace the caddy...

Likely the USB port is nerfed....

Hope this helped...

Thanks
VIcky Milza

This is not necessarily the issue though. Since it's an external HDD it could also have to do with the board (HDD controller) messing up while trying to install drivers or something.

If the issue doesn't get resolved, break open the enclosure (or try to open it carefully) and you should be able to use the HDD on its own, assuming it's not defective.