xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
sheepdog

Chickens

I polished off the last 3 of my first round of roosters today, they are now resting in peace in my refrigerator. Hoping I can get the old man to run them threw the smoker instead of me just making fried chicken for dinner. So now while my big pen is empty, I need to give it a good cleaning, and it looks like it is going to need another coat of paint. Sure don't need it rotting away the price of lumber these days. We just built it last year, it's a really nice chicken pen. As soon as I get it cleaned and repainted, I will have another batch of younger birds to go into it, that I now have in 2 smaller pens in the barn. I'll be glad to have my daily chore routine reduced from 3 pens to feed and water down to just one big one. I'm sure the Chickens will be happy too, they will be on the ground and have a lot more room. I think I will call in the local radio station on monday morning and see if anyone wants to buy some of the younger pullets I have. I saved back 20 from the first hatching, and that's more than enough to keep at one time. Chickens are recieving a big "come back" these days, if you want to call it that. Many urban areas and in larger cities and towns are changing their zoning laws to now allow people to keep at least a few chickens. Some of the towns only allow you to have hens, they are afraid that the roosters crowing will disturb the peace, but it's the hens that lay eggs, so that's no big deal. This is great news for those folks, they can now have a way to produce at least a little of their own food, and chickens also great for pest control, eating bugs and stuff that othewise would have to be treated with toxic chemicals. A person can keep a small flock for very little cash outlay, they can mostly eat scraps and scrounge for their own food, you just need to furnish them a little grain on the side. Chickens are just kind of fun to have. It's rather relaxing to just sit and watch them peck around. They are usually peaceful birds (there are of course some that are meaner than the devil himself, but for the most part they are pretty agreeable.) A lot of people are treating them just like they would any other pet animal. I'm on a chicken list at Yahoo, there are even people who put clothes on their birds and take them to town with them. Yea, I know, that's pretty silly, to me anyway, but hey, to each his own. At any rate they probably would make a fairly good pet, and really, when you can have a pet that gives something back, like eggs, what a deal!

I polished off the last 3 of my first round of roosters today, they are now resting in peace in my refrigerator. Hoping I can get the old man to run them threw the smoker instead of me just making fried chicken for dinner.
So now while my big pen is empty, I need to give it a good cleaning, and it looks like it is going to need another coat of paint. Sure don't need it rotting away the price of lumber these days. We just built it last year, it's a really nice chicken pen. As soon as I get it cleaned and repainted, I will have another batch of younger birds to go into it, that I now have in 2 smaller pens in the barn. I'll be glad to have my daily chore routine reduced from 3 pens to feed and water down to just one big one. I'm sure the Chickens will be happy too, they will be on the ground and have a lot more room. I think I will call in the local radio station on monday morning and see if anyone wants to buy some of the younger pullets I have. I saved back 20 from the first hatching, and that's more than enough to keep at one time.

Chickens are recieving a big "come back" these days, if you want to call it that. Many urban areas and in larger cities and towns are changing their zoning laws to now allow people to keep at least a few chickens. Some of the towns only allow you to have hens, they are afraid that the roosters crowing will disturb the peace, but it's the hens that lay eggs, so that's no big deal. This is great news for those folks, they can now have a way to produce at least a little of their own food, and chickens also great for pest control, eating bugs and stuff that othewise would have to be treated with toxic chemicals. A person can keep a small flock for very little cash outlay, they can mostly eat scraps and scrounge for their own food, you just need to furnish them a little grain on the side.

Chickens are just kind of fun to have. It's rather relaxing to just sit and watch them peck around. They are usually peaceful birds (there are of course some that are meaner than the devil himself, but for the most part they are pretty agreeable.) A lot of people are treating them just like they would any other pet animal. I'm on a chicken list at Yahoo, there are even people who put clothes on their birds and take them to town with them. Yea, I know, that's pretty silly, to me anyway, but hey, to each his own. At any rate they probably would make a fairly good pet, and really, when you can have a pet that gives something back, like eggs, what a deal!

Woah! your a chicken farmer too! Do you own a farm or what? I've never had that "farmer" spirt, I prefer robot chickens. :S I didn't know chilkens would let you put clothes on them. I've never done much research on chickens but they seem like nice animals. :) There are some roosters by my grandma because lives in the countryside of my state, and some dude that knew my grandma sued this rooster farm because the people were train them to fight each other but he didn't win. :(

Yes, we definatly have a farm!I think the clothes on chickens thing is pretty silly myself, but hey, whatever floats your boat! I suppose you can train a chicken to do a few tricks, nothing like a dog of course, but I did have a banty hen years ago that I could hold up one arm and snap my fingers and she would fly all the way across the barn yard and land on my arm, so I suppose if you had the time to fool with one you could teach it a few things. Unfortunatly, house breaking is probably not on that list of things you can teach a chicken. *BLEEP* fighting is illegal nearly every where in the USA. I'm not sure if there are any states at all left where it is legal. Of course, that's not to say it doesn't continue to go on.Oh Good grief. The censor got me on that one, BLEEP fighting????? C o c k

Edited by sheepdog (see edit history)