xisto Community
Baniboy

The Ks Frontpage Is Stupid

The frontpage and intro  

9 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

care to expand in points what is not being done?

What is not being done? Didn't you read the opening post? Didn't you read my reply and complaints about what hadn't been done? Why are you asking this? I wrote it, all you have to do is read. All he had to do was read. But no, "let's change the background image and ask for feedback (that we don't really want), it's not like there were complaints about other things". Even the most obvious mistakes he was notified about hadn't been fixed and it didn't look like he was going to fix them either, that's why I complain. That is what HE IS NOT DOING. And I can USE CAPS LOCK TOO, YOU KNOW. -.-

If you really want to know, just read. As I don't like to repeat myself. That is what I complained about. He doesn't listen... or actually it's "read" but whatever. I'm surprised that you asked, because I thought that you would've read. Seems like you didn't. I shouldn't have to "expand in points" when I'm pointing to simple, technical issues that can be fixed without any philosophical thought put to it. At least that's what I was doing in the beginning.

But this conversation doesn't matter since Shree obviously puts no effort in listening to his members if they complain and notify him about his or his staff's dumb mistakes.
Edited by Baniboy (see edit history)

how the hell am i being dragged in to this?!?!? first opa and now you? what the hell is wrong with both of you.....leave me outta this conversation or i am gonna get pissed. this is my last warning

Sorry Anwii, this topic has turned into a mosh pit and sorry for dragging you into it, I just replied to what you said lol. Bani, go through your own posts and you'll see that only one or two posts (including your opening rant) are the only valid posts related to this topic. The rest are merely non-sensical rants about how OpaQue has done nothing and you did it again with your latest post. I didn't ask you to expand anything, you pointed out how obvious things were not fixed but you didn't mention what those obvious things are. If you wanted to really help, you would have been a little bit more productive like the other members especially web designer.And how are you so sure that the designer is doing nothing about the front page? Have you spoken to either Shree or the designer about the layout? Did you ask him about the number of hours the designer has put or has not put into the layout? Your rants are clearly a reflection of your ignorance since you do not know about what is happening behind the scenes and when asked for feedback, you get defensive and refuse to divulge with any valid information. Your pissy attitude is not helping us whatsoever. If you can take out the time to type out lines of how you ain't gonna repeat yourself, then I am pretty sure you can take out the time to give at least 5 brief one lined bullet points of the pending mistakes/complaints.As for the intro, it isn't like visitors are being forced into watching it, the ones who do have the patience will like/dislike it. The others have the option to simply not bother with it. So how is it still a big deal? For consistency sake, the layout is blue, the trap logo is smaller in size, the nocatch is gone, every css error reported or noticed by the designer has been corrected. He is working on the latest batch of feedback regarding the w3c logo and the menu bar.He fixed the tiling issue that was reported in the earlier posts.OpaQue is doing everything he can to be his old self on the forums whether you believe it or not.So seriously, either put in some valid on topic feedback or don't bother reading the topic or replying to it since you are so sure no one is listening. Personally speaking, if you keep up the unnecessary ranting, any good feedback hidden in your rant would lose its value.

Anyway, after you finish trying to read the confusing crap that is the front page, you can either "see intro" or "skip intro". So let's say I'm a new visitor and I somehow manage to see those links and decide to view the intro. What do you get? A flash intro.

This is fixed now. Except for the flash intro. I'm saying no confusing flash intro with links splashing in multiple sites and directions because it's confusing and pretty useless to anyone trying to browse it. If I came searching for free hosting and saw something about how the company leaders are "loving and respecting a person that totally accepts himself" or other gibberish like that, I would leave. So would most people. Something like "get free hosting by posting on Xisto forums" would be useful. But no... it's not like the visitor should get the information they were looking for.

Just go and visit that page. After you choose to view the intro, you have to press one more button to actually view it.

And

Animations for the menu, animations for bringing the content forth, animations for most links (I mean animations that don't even let you see the link properly while you hover over them) and the stupidest decision of them all: background music. There is also a fullscreen button in case some idiot decides that the page is too beautiful to be browsed with the browser part visible.

And

(ALL CAPS, OF COURSE, ANYTHING ELSE MIGHT MAKE THE VISITOR STAY).

Anyway, since editing flash may be annoying, I pass on these. I say delete the whole thing and make an introductory paragraph with good info on the front page.

1. And attachments aren't working for me, but I'm using Opera. Though since Opera is pretty standards-compliant, I don't see the reason why they shouldn't work on it.

2. I don't get how you've gotten this magnificent idea that you should scatter your company into 5+ domains. It's really useless. And you give unnecessary links in the "main links" section too. Is it to fill space or something? Why would someone need "latest posts", just put "enter forums" and that'll be it.

3. Also, it causes a bug in Opera where the menu goes even lower and causes the background image to replicate. But I guess you don't care much about browser compliance, otherwise you would've tested it. The Xisto is still huge and no other changes made. Basically you only added a menu that isn't easily noticeable, and you also added more Javascript.

4. Anyway, when I enter the "lite version", there's a box telling me my global geographical coordinates. I mean, is this really necessary? Do you just want to add useless stuff for fun or why is it there? Surely a visitor knows where they are without you informing them with extra JavaScript?

5. The layout is ugly and stupid. In every logical sense possible, every element is exactly where it shouldn't be.

And by that last one I meant I the positioning of the logo and the menus.

Yes, I did only report poor web design in about 2-3 posts. The rest were trying to explain to wd where the links are found, one of which you deleted and one that stays, the second is me asking about the specifics on the work being done, the second is me doubting if things will actually get fixed, third one my doubts had come true (surprise surprise), fourth one replying to Shree when he told me how he doesn't like to hear negative feedback, then you complaining and pretending to make sense. Are you happy now? All you had to do was go back and read. Gee...

So seriously, either put in some valid on topic feedback or don't bother reading the topic or replying to it since you are so sure no one is listening.

You're not in a position to tell me what I can read. I reply when I'm replied to. It's my thread, don't bother replying if you think I don't make sense. IT'S THE VENT.

For consistency sake, the layout is blue, the trap logo is smaller in size, the nocatch is gone, every css error reported or noticed by the designer has been corrected.

https://validator.w3.org/nu/?doc=http%3A%2F%2Fxisto.com%2F

I wasn't talking about CSS errors other than the tiling. Neither did rvalkass, he was talking about XHTML ERRORS on a page that has an "XHTML APPROVED"-logo on it. Those 32 errors have not gone. Not saying that those are important ones as most of them are probably because the coder hadn't adapted xhtml. Leaving the alts and br's like that, poor coding.

There is also an "IS NOW"-text above the logo, the page title still has "Xisto" as its first word, and "knowledge" in the subheader looks really stealth. And the page still doesn't have any way of telling a visitor what the site is actually about on the front page whatsoever. Some of the company logos don't make sense either. Why is there a microsoft logo? Is microsoft a xisto partner? Is jQuery a xisto partner? Does xisto offer jQuery? Was the designer just trying to fill space?

If you wanted to really help, you would have been a little bit more productive like the other members especially web designer.

Other members? You, me, wd, shree, rob and shadowx are the only ones that have replied to this thread. Rob, wd and shadowx are the only ones that gave feedback. Wd's suggestion about the logo being weird and color inconsistency were what I reported before, plus the design comments, shadowx was even more pissed off than I was, rob reported the color, xhtml errors and the logo. What got fixed? The colors and the logo (somewhat). And the xhtml logo is apparently being fixed. What else? Enlighten me. And no, of course I didn't want to help, I was only complaining about stupid mistakes to kill time.

you get defensive and refuse to divulge with any valid information. Your pissy attitude is not helping us whatsoever.

Instead of reading, you complain about me being reluctant to divulge valid information. This is also not helping "you". Then you complain about me venting. I complained because the issues that had been complained about before had not been addressed.

Personally speaking, if you keep up the unnecessary ranting, any good feedback hidden in your rant would lose its value.

It's not like I'm shouting in their face and making them cry and not listen to my points. It's stupid to put the main menu at the bottom of the page, and if you can't "personally speaking" look behind the word "stupid" and the point loses value, then I personally speaking don't value your way of reading and evaluating the value of points. It's the vent, not the suggestions and feedback forum. Mainly because I didn't expect to get replies from Shree so I was positively surprised for a moment before the disappointment.

And how are you so sure that the designer is doing nothing about the front page? Have you spoken to either Shree or the designer about the layout? Did you ask him about the number of hours the designer has put or has not put into the layout? Your rants are clearly a reflection of your ignorance since you do not know about what is happening behind the scenes

Well, something like changing the position of an element doesn't take hours unless you're dealing with huge amounts of code. The page contains a menu and a background image, after all. My rants are a reflection of sheer disappointment of me visiting the front page. I can't be ignorant about what is happening behind the scenes since I do not know what is happening there, thus I'm not able to be willfully ignorant about something that I don't know of.

I have changed the top header to Xisto and removed Xisto completely.I added a intro message to clear out the concept at Xisto.I have fixed the codes to validate it at w3c :)

Good job, Shree. I'm happy you decided to take action on some of the complaints even tho you don't like to hear negative feedback.One thing is weird tho, the page is now HTML instead of the XHTML it was earlier. But that was what was causing most the errors anyway. Maybe be coder put the wrong markup version earlier. I still don't like the red links there. They look kind of out of place. Maybe you could ask the designer to change the color of those.

Edited by Baniboy (see edit history)

I am too lazy to find the post right now to quote, but the flash intro. It is, how shall i say, odd. It goes from orange-red to light blue instantly. I would make my own and propose it, but I have no flash experience, and have no 500 bucks to pay for a program. My suggestion is to try another shade of blue, instead of orange-red. Isn't the inverted color of blue red? Yes it is.

ALL Xisto intros i saw are mess. I mean , you need something professional. Something like a template-like design + some cool radial gradient with a stock image of servers.Look at Apple's website. Do something like that :D

I personally don't think there should be an introduction page at all unless it emphasis the fact that Xisto gives free hosting and free domains. The problem with Xisto is that it is not being marketed correctly. When I joined Xisto, I joined because I needed free webhosting. I didn't join because I wanted a quest for wisdom, so but I did not. I think more emphasis should be placed on webhosting like it was under Xisto. I really think Xisto is making a big marketing mistake, and I actually think it should be still named Xisto instead of Xisto.In addition, there is really no reason for Xisto to be so dead because this is literally the only place that gives free domains, and give you full control over those domains. I don't know any other community or company that does that, and I run across people on the web all the time who are looking for a company that gives out domains for posting. However, somehow they have never heard of Xisto. There are website where free webhosting is marketed, such as the free webhosting forums, but there is completely no advertisement of Xisto taking place there. So I think the front page should basically represent the fact that Xisto gives free hosting and domains, and the other crap should be dropped.

yeah i agree with bani, the front page now looks much more better than before. it is now more neat, compatible with colors and shades and more organized, except of the hover color "the red one" for the menu links. i think it is not fit with the design, try something between light gray to light blue. and i like the welcome section too, well done opaque. keep up the good working and update us to help with our feedback, good luck.

i quite liked the flash intro but i think the text could of being a bit bigger but apart from that it was great,maybe in the future Xisto can deck the whole site out in flash but i think there is some problems with that like it wont be available in some browsersbut i thought the intro was great and it was fast until some intros and the music was a great touch. you can also see it if you goto the main page and clicking intro.