xisto Community
Baniboy

The Ks Frontpage Is Stupid

The frontpage and intro  

9 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Yes, I'm gonna complain now.
I don't know if Shree is trying hard to intentionally destroy the front page or if he's simply stuck in the year 2000 and wants to recreate to horror of that ages websites in flash, but this has to stop.
The front page is a joke. Really, go visit Xisto.com. This is what you get:
YES, even the uploading isn't working on this forum so I can't upload a screenshot the ugly disaster. This is just great... And I'm not going to upload it to an image upload site because I shouldn't even have to. And I'm lazy in rage-mode.
Anyway, after you finish trying to read the confusing crap that is the front page, you can either "see intro" or "skip intro". So let's say I'm a new visitor and I somehow manage to see those links and decide to view the intro. What do you get? A flash intro. Which you have to wait for to load. The flash intro itself contains so much unnecessary crap that it takes a while to load. I mean, how high do you have to be to make a whole page in flash in this decade? Just go and visit that page. After you choose to view the intro, you have to press one more button to actually view it. Animations for the menu, animations for bringing the content forth, animations for most links (I mean animations that don't even let you see the link properly while you hover over them) and the stupidest decision of them all: background music. There is also a fullscreen button in case some idiot decides that the page is too beautiful to be browsed with the browser part visible.

So, let's assume you actually aren't a sane person and decide to stay and read through this crap when all you want is free hosting information. Let's say you can also read the crappy font that Shree has decided to use (ALL CAPS, OF COURSE, ANYTHING ELSE MIGHT MAKE THE VISITOR STAY). And then you get to read the first paragraph, which should be an intro to the company and what it provides, instead, you get some really weird text.

Our whole love and respect is for you, the person who accepts himself totally, as he is. He has courage...

What the hell is this??? I also found a weird edited copy of it here: /pages/Osho-Ashram-Biratnagar/210088789008133?_fb_noscript=1This page's appearance is like a flash recreation of 2005 newbie websites that contained background music and useless animations. the only difference is, it's in flash and it's the website of a company, not some 12 year old with a computer. This is, a FAILURE. The only thing it would be missing is a flash clock and a rainbow animation as a background.

I rest my case.

You mean the current red theme at Xisto.com ? I liked it and I don't know what is so confusing about the text on the front page. As for the intro, I do agree that I hate the flash intro myself since it is so heavy and would be impossible for people with bad connections to see it. And I like Opa merely forgot to remove the content at the end :PThough it is unnecessary for me to say it, I guess the attachments are working ;)

post-40018-0-51472400-1312190500_thumb.png

First of all, this is Xisto, and I don't see the logic of putting a BIG Xisto there. It could be smaller and Xisto should be the big one because it's the site's name. I also don't get the "No catch22". Maybe it's just me missing something here. It does look pleasant, but it doesn't fit into anything else on the site. The flash intro is brown, the forums are blue and the front page is red. There is no consistency that you would expect from a company. And what is going on with all the weird domains? "Xisto - Free Hosting.com". Does shree actually need another domain to guide people how to use Xisto to get hosting? It's just weird.And attachments aren't working for me, but I'm using Opera. Though since Opera is pretty standards-compliant, I don't see the reason why they shouldn't work on it.

Look what velma dragged here, can I believe my eyes?It's cool and all, but why is it at the bottom of the page? Are you sure you want people to see it? Because it should be at top if you want to.Also, it causes a bug in Opera where the menu goes even lower and causes the background image to replicate. But I guess you don't care much about browser compliance, otherwise you would've tested it. The Xisto is still huge and no other changes made. Basically you only added a menu that isn't easily noticeable, and you also added more Javascript.Oh, and the flash intro still sucks.I don't get how you've gotten this magnificent idea that you should scatter your company into 5+ domains. It's really useless. And you give unnecessary links in the "main links" section too. Is it to fill space or something? Why would someone need "latest posts", just put "enter forums" and that'll be it. Anyway, when I enter the "lite version", there's a box telling me my global geographical coordinates. I mean, is this really necessary? Do you just want to add useless stuff for fun or why is it there? Surely a visitor knows where they are without you informing them with extra JavaScript?

hmm i think this tough topic that posted by banni is pushed opaque to change things of the front page that i see for the first time :)i just opened Xisto.com and i didn't see any flash intro or anything, no music or loading. only a static front page with some links for the forums and other services. and about that front page i do like the effort that made to create that graphic effects, but in the sam time i do believe it is not suitable for the forums since here the forums are blue, so after the effort that made in that page i think the reasonable thing is to change the theme of the forums to something near to red.

yeah i know bani but the problem that i can't find it, i mean the flash intro. when i click on this link http://forums.xisto.com/ i only see a static page.so maybe i missed something here, if so please post the link.

hmm i think this tough topic that posted by banni is pushed opaque to change things of the front page that i see for the first time :)
i just opened Xisto.com and i didn't see any flash intro or anything, no music or loading. only a static front page with some links for the forums and other services.

If you are talking about the single line menu bar, it was being worked upon by the designers for a while now, they uploaded it yesterday :) but yes Opa has been listening to member feedback. And quite honestly, I think the flash intro isn't that big a deal at all since most people would probably find their preferred link and forget about the static page and the intro.

If you are talking about the single line menu bar, it was being worked upon by the designers for a while now, they uploaded it yesterday :) but yes Opa has been listening to member feedback. And quite honestly, I think the flash intro isn't that big a deal at all since most people would probably find their preferred link and forget about the static page and the intro.

the funny thing that you all are talking about something i can't see, i don't know where is the wrong here, maybe from my end, i don't know.

anyway, please post the link for the flash intro so i can see it maybe i am missing something here!!!

I attached the menu bar I was talking about, you might have to refresh the page or something :) They are still working on it to finish up whatever isn't rendering right. And the intro can be found here

post-40018-0-01119500-1312363767_thumb.jpg

Jesus CHRIST!Are you people running a website hosting company or a children's book shop?! Refer to the attached image...Right, lets start. The home page suggests to me this is some kind of sci fi forum? Perhaps even some kind of gaming website?The Trap^17 is acceptable as a logo, However... it is too high, it looks like i need to scroll up which i cant.Purely within that logo it seems we have 4, or maybe even 5 DIFFERENT fonts!! And not even complimentary ones at that!! I mean WTF?! "Simply no catch 22"? Jesus christ. "No catches! None!" Would be better and thats off the top of my head...Not to mention the kind of A-Team inspired font for "Catch 22" -__- Then we have line two... ANOTHER different font?!?! Jesus christ. The KS logo... I see what you are going for, using greek symbols/letters, it is acceptable in big form however in small form you just cant read the smaller text (IE on the other KS homepage in the other thread)Oh look, the bottom of the page.. Wait a second.. is that... a TILED background?! Jesus christ.If your background image isnt large enough to fill the screen without stretching then you need to FADE it out into a background colour or make sure it is a tileable image. This is neither. It is ugly, unprofessional and gives KS a bad, BAD image. It doesnt even get close to the bottom of my 17 inch screen. I mean seriously?! You think a professional designer on a mac 21" system is going to see that page and think "yup, I like this" hell NO!The see/skip intro buttons come UNDER this horrible tiling effect. Nice.The links thing doesnt even work!! Wait... True story, i just went to click it and it expands! How is a user meant to know this?! Plus, the off-site links open in the same window... If its an offsite link 99% of the time it should be a new window. That rule applies here.So aside from that... Erm...Things I like:The bar at the bottom of the screen.That's all.Browser: Firefox v5OS: Ubuntu Screen res: 1280x1024Refreshed the page, same result.Seriously though, im not entirely sure what is going on with T17, it used to be respectable but since then downtime seems to have increased, the posts just arent happening, the people who do post are spamming, i havent seen a mod or admin post since... I dont even know when. You are a company attempting to persuade me, a user, to give you money in return for your expertise in hosting and supporting websites and yet you cant even host and support an effective home page?! If I were using real money I would NOT be using xisto!And if the team ARE working on it then it shouldnt be public accessible. Even I know this and I am not a professional or even close...

post-21719-0-84475600-1312370382_thumb.jpg

Edited by shadowx (see edit history)

Velma, you deleted my post (I assume) where I pointed where wd would find it. I don't really get it...WD, just click on link "see intro". Let's see if this gets deleted as well...

Velma, you deleted my post (I assume) where I pointed where wd would find it. I don't really get it...WD, just click on link "see intro". Let's see if this gets deleted as well...

o.O Hmmm, I didn't see any text but a quote of anwii's statement.. Sorry about that.