xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
NNNOOOOOO

A New Fan Design a big object made small

It'll be based on something that I won't reveal 'til later.

Since it's small and not too powerful, it'll use plastic instead of titanium. And it can be powered from batteries or "wall power", thus eliminating a lot of electrical and fuel systems. Put a small net in the front end to prevent it from sucking stuff in, unless you want it to (the parts are fairly cheap plastic).

In case you ain't figured it out yet, the design is based on a jet engine. Think about it. A jet engine (turbine) sucks in air at low speed and pushes it out at high speed. How jet engines work: http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Remove the ignition chambers and turbine, replacing them with an electric motor. Give the fan speed control and airflow direction control, and you have a good fan.

You can't deny that it's a good idea.

So it's a fan in a tube?Since surely a jet engine without ignition and turbines is merely some kind of propeller (fan) in a casing?

I'm not saying replace all turbines, just the one in the very back. Keep the compressors. Actually, keep all turbines and only replace the combustion chambers. Do you think that'll help the airflow?

Hey, great idea! I'd like one for the end of the kennel building window, to replace the big fan I have now. I wouldn't have to groom anymore, just suck the hair right off those dogs! LOL :rolleyes:

Hmmm.. im not really up on turbine construction, something along the lines of air being compressed, mixed with fuel, ignited, driving a turbine and creating a stable outflow of air and exhaust to provide thrust?could be wrong, either way.... If I understand correctly you would want to compress the incoming air then using a fan accelerate it out the back where it would expand and give extra air flow as opposed to a fan on its own?I think it would be fairly noisy... However, any fluid (gasses are classed as fluids too i believe) expanding will remove heat from it's surroundings, so in theory you could also generate a stream of slightly cooled air, probably not a lot but a degree or two maybe.

First question is correct. Second question is half correct. I'm not using a fan to blow air out. After the compression stage, the air decompresses by forcing its self out the back. That gives it thrust. The combustion stage uses a bit of that air to bur fuel. The air that was used to bur fuel becomes more compressed. The compressed, hot air pushes the turbine in the back of the engine to drive everything else.What I'm saying is, instead of burning fuel to drive everything, use an electric motor. This will eliminate the need for fuel, but leave the rest of the process the same. Air comes in, gets compressed, forces its self out the back at a speed faster that when it went in.

Hmm I see what you are aiming for but i think the speeds needed to attain compression would be so high that unless it was a highly precise machine the vibrations would cause a lot of noise. Could be ideal for more industrial uses but perhaps not for a home use device.