xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
sheepdog

Plant Identification

Last year I strung some left over odds and ends packages of flower seed of a few varieties I had not ever tried to grow before along the fence out behind the kennel, away from the normal main flower growing areas as an experiment. I was also trying to keep my 2 different colors of Cosmos speerated, as I have an orange cosmos and a red crest cosmos, and they look nearly alike so if they were in the main flower bed I couldn't save the seed seperatly. The Red Crest Cosmos did well back there, but I never saw anything else come up. But this spring I noticed a pecular looking plant right square in the middle of the planting space that didn't look anything like the other weeds that had sprung up, so I left it growing. Eventually it started putting on blooms, and turned out to be a really pretty plant, but I'm not 100% sure what it is. I think it is an Echinacea. I looked them up on line, and what has me confused is that the description online of Echinacea says the blooms come up on straight individual stalks, but my plant does have some branching of the stalks and flowers on the ends of each branch. Here's a picture I took of my plant.post-44799-0-20666000-1310129883_thumb.jpgI also saved a picture that I found online of an Echinacea plant. You can see the individual stalks pretty well on it. In the pictures, the purple plant looks darker, but in real life my plant has flowers that are the same color, and I took this picture of mine while it just had the first flower, it's covered now just like the one in the other picture. post-44799-0-28384100-1310130067_thumb.jpgAnd then, to add to my confusion, I found this other interesting plant up front beside some dog pens where I have never planted anything other than some Cherry and Hazel nut bushes, and in years past, Canna's for shade for the dogs. I wish I had gotten a picture of it a few days sooner, it had some really pretty flower stalks on it, with mostly white flowers, trimed with light purple strips. Sorry, it's not a great picture. But I'm hoping someone can recognise it and let me know what it might be. I sure don't have a clue. post-44799-0-18123500-1310130674_thumb.jpg