xisto Community
sheepdog

Check Out Cheats

3 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

There is a grocery store in the next town over that really got me into the habit of keeping an eye on the cashiers when I go to pay for any purchases now. Every single time I tried to shop there they would ring up a purchase price higher than the actual advertised price of the item. One time I went in with a friend, and we both picked out just 2 or 3 snack items, different things, and I'll be danged if she didn't try to cheat both of us! You would of thought after I caught her trying to cheat me she wouldn't of tried it on my friend, but she sure did! Their usual game is to put up a sale sign up on a product, like $1.98, but when you check out it rings up $2.50. This grocery store, sad to say, is not an uncommon thing, or so it seems to me. Just tonight at Walmart, I picked up a gallon of paint that was marked 50% off, and the cashier charged me full price. I have had it happen at Walgreens with a pair of toenail clippers taht were marked on sale for $4, but the check out boy tried to charge me $12, and then argued with me until I drug his butt back to the shelf and showed him where the sign said $4! So, do you watch your purchases when you go shopping?

It is always good to watch out what is happeing at the till, especially in a shop where you do not go usually or when there is a new cashier, but, if you are not certain about your regular shop, it is still always best to keep your eyes open.However, the law says (here in the United Kingdom anyway, I am not sure about anywhere else) that any item must be sold at the price which is advertised on it.It does not matter if they say "there was a promotion on this item yesterday, but we forgot to take the tag away", it is their resposibility and their responsibility alone to take the amended price tags away when a special offer ends.The law is very clear on that: the price you see is the price you pay.Even if an item has a price sticker on it, but there is a tag on the shelp that says "Now 50% off the regular price" or "?0.50", while the sticker on the item says "?1.50", then it is the price mentioned on the tag that counts, and they do not have a leg to stand on.Trading Standards would be very happy to hear about that too.So, if any cashier tries to ring up a different amount than what is on a "special offer" label, just stand your ground and insist they do things correctly. Ask to see a manager if you have to, and just remind him of what the law says.f they cannot be bothered to check their price list and labeling properly while stacking shelves, then it is entirely their problem, not yours.

The law is the same here in the USA. If they have a sign up as an advertised special, they have to charge you that price. So you can prevent this common rip off, IF you watch closely. And I don't think it's limited to small shops or places you don't usually visit, Walmart is certainly not small and you have to watch them too. I think where they get people is that a lot of people are not going to go threw the hassel, and believe me, some cashiers can really make it a hassel, by argueing with you, or making you and everybody behind you wait while they send someone to check the price, or call over the manager to change the bill because they don't know how to fix the cash register to change your reciept. In the meantime all the people in line are glaring at you and getting ticked off, and there are just some people who can't stand the hassel and don't think it's worth the aggrivation for a few cents. Since this seems to happen to me on a pretty regular basis, I'd be willing to bet this is a pretty common occurance. People should really watch what's going on when they are checking out of any store.

I think we really should check the items carefully and when in doubt, ask the representative because there many cheaters everywhere. It is our responsibility for ourselves and the community because when we keep quiet about that and let it go, they will multiply, it is as if we are tolerating them.

because when we keep quiet about that and let it go, they will multiply, it is as if we are tolerating them.

I could not agree with you more. Tolerating this type of behavior or actions, which in reality are really criminal actions should never be overlooked. If we let them slide they will continue to do it. However, when we catch them at it, and "punish" them, either by loudly pointing out their attempt at theivery or by refusing to shop in their store anymore their bad behaviour is fixed if they loose customers and end up going broke.