xisto Community
mrdee

Mycents Credits [resolved] Has the amount per post decreased?

I am a bit confused and surprised when I look at how my MyCent credits go up lately.It could be my imagination (although I don't think so), but it looks like my credits are increasing slower than they used to.I still post regularly, but it seems to take an incredible mount of posts to get me into my next dollar.An example: I used to have to make two, three at the most, posts of about one screen long (edit screen, that is) to make it into my next dollar.I have noticed recently that, after making about five posts, some a bit shorter, but two or thre the usual length, I am stil within my same dollar.I notice that my credits do increase, but, the last post I made, I was then at 70.74 MyCents, was the usual length of just over one edit frame long, and when I looked before I posted this post, it had gone up to 94.11 MyCent credits while, in the past, two similar post would have broughr me from one dollar to the next and now, they just seem to increase my amount a bit.Am I mistaken or not?Or is there a temporary fault on the MyCents system, or have the credits per post been decreased?If anyone has experienced something similar, I would love to hear about it.At the risk of repeating myself, I could, of course, be mistaken, in which case I would like to apologise, but I don't think my senses are playing tricks on me.So, if anyone is in the same boat, please let me know.Thank you in advance.

Edited by mrdee (see edit history)

before you start jumping the gun about mycents handing out less, get rid of the other options first.... like1: are you keeping track of all your posts?2: making sure you are posting in categories that credit mycents?3: understanding it's not the # of posts, it's the qualityi haven't seen a change before my warning level went up. i was getting the same as i always did, this was a couple weeks ago.

I am not jumping the gun, I made an assumption, which, in my book, is a different thing.To answer your questions:1) I have recently after I began to assume something had changed.2) I always look before posting wheter ther is a post count in the subject.3) Could you explain what exactly is meant by "the quality of posts", what exactly the criteria are? (You are not going to tell me every post gets read to be given a quality label, are you? :) )So, is the "quality" about the number of words in the post, or about something else?I could then, myself, be able to give a clearer answer if I knew.(After all, I think "quality" is not a very well chosen term, unless there is some sort of "quality control").

well obviously the longer the post, the more quality it will have in it so i mentioned it because you didn't mention the quality of your posts. only the # of the posts.i think i tested opaques algorythm once and it seems to me that quality isn't just based on how lengthy the post is, but the length is DEFIANTELY a part of the algorythm.on the other hand, i have noticed opaque making small changes here and there recently. he has also posted a couple times(unless it was someone just reptending to be him :)). so many he did something. all i can say from my personal experience is that i haven't noticed a change.

OK,if length is one of the quality criteria, the I mentioned it a few times in my original post (although, maybe not 100% clear, as it is not easy to explain).However, as I said, my posts are usually the same length 9sometimes longer, rarely shorter), the length I referred to I took the field in which ou write your post as a yardstick.My post usually spans 1 fieldful of that (although I have never calculated how many words/sentences that would be).So, when the post is finished and appears on the screen, it is about half a screen full.Also (if that makes things a bit clearer, when I type my original post, it usually goes on until the scroll bar at the side appears, and usually goes on until the bar scrolls about 2 sentences.I know, my explanation probably looks and sounds stupid, but that ia the best way I can try to make clear how long my posts usually are.

try keeping track of your posts for 30 days. it's easy to go in to an editor and count the words of each post. when you get your mycents update letter, look at how many posts it's for. and go back to verify which posts it's for.i don't know how much that would do for you though because then you would have to compare that data to a month earlier and you don't have that data.but also, what exactly are you noticing? a significant difference? if it's a small difference, could it just be that you are mistaken?it sucks when the admins aren't around to address these questions. i mean, even if there was a difference, it's not like anyone will do anything about it :) also, if there is a differce, everyone should be affected not just one userlike i said, i can't really answer fully because i haven't recieved an update in mycents for about 2 weeks now and it will probably be a couple months before i do :) i've been naughty.i can tell you this though, i don't have the highest post count, but i DO have more credits than any other user. so take that in to consideration when trying to figure out how the credit system works :)i know i have over $600 accumulated. i have about 2840 posts with 2645 of them that counted for mycents. so that averages out to .227 a post. we had a discussion about how much an average post earns. .20 seemed to be about the average but some people were averaging more than me. i average about 1.5 posts a day which from my calculations should earn me an estimated average of about $10 a month. these estimates however don't take in to consideration word count or some other factors that may be included in the algorythm of how many credits can be earned per post. BUT! with carefull calculations and keeping track of your posts, you might be able to figure it out :)personally, i just go with the flow. as many problem as i have with xisto, i know opaque isn't in the business of ripping people off, but he has yet to tell his members how the credit system is calculated.i think he may just take it to his grave :) it would be nice to know though so if it's not working properly or if there were any bugs, we'd be able to identify them more quickly

The thing is: I do notice a considerable difference.Compared to before, my credits are going up at a snail's pace.I don't think we are being ripped off neither, but mistakes are easily made and no program o script is completely fool proof.Maybe I will raise a ticket about it.

start a ticket and put attn: opaque since this has to do with the forum and his coding. nobody else is qualified to answer over there. well.....nobody is qualified to do a lot of things over there as it is.but yea, direct the ticket to opaque. it will get to him. post the thread link so he knows where to respond if he wants to decide to do it publically.

Hi Mr.Dee!I did notice that I did not receive the email from Xisto stating that I got some extra MyCENTs, but I just assumed that they gave me the credit for my posts and just did not email me. Yes, the email does provide more motivation to write and I just did not get it over the past couple of days. I guess it is something for me to investigate. I'm looking at my MyCENTs balance and the MyCENTs that I have already earned till this post and I will be keeping a track to make sure that it really is the MyCENTs that are awarded for a whole lot more than they used to be paid for.If the MyCENTs awarded for posting really is much less than it used to be, then I think it would be a dis-inCENTive (pun unintended) and would turn a lot of people away from the forum. I wonder if it MyCENTs are awarded with the same scripts across all of the sites that participate in the Xisto network. There's the AstraHost that has a set of forums that I do not participate in much... perhaps just once in a blue moon, and I do not see a blue moon all that very often.I have seen some updates to Xisto, such as the Xisto home page and so I am guess that there have been recent updates to the Xisto MyCENT processing scripts too and that may have either credited my while the emails did not go out, or I did not get the MyDollars that I'm supposed to get when the MyCENTs listed on the forum exceeds 100 cents, or maybe even the scripts did hand me my MyCENTs but not as much as they used to hand me. I am going to wait and watch over the next couple of days, but just so that you know, you are not the only one out there with problems in having the MyCENTs credited to you. I am in that exact same boat and have noticed that the MyCENT emails that I was expecting were not in my email mail box.

Right then,I think it will be justified to raise a ticket on the matter, especially now that I see I am not the only one facing this problem.I will do so after finishing this post and I am grateful for anwiii's suggestion to add "ATTN Opaque" to it, obviously hoping he will effectively get to see it, especially since he is the only one, being the maker of the script, qualified to reply to matters like this.(Although, to be quite honest, the 'ordinary' Xisto staff does not seem to be very qualified to reply to tickets lately, let alone offering solutions, as I have just looked at my tickets and one of them has been closed for a second time without giving me a satisfactory answer or solution). Anyway, I am glad that someone experiencing a similar problem posted here too, if only to show I was not just "jumping the gun" (won't mention any names on that one....).So, I shall go and type my ticket now and see what they have to say, with thanks to anwiii for the tip of putting it to Opaque directly and while also expressing my gratitude to k_nitin_r for sharing his experience in facing similar problems with us.I will keep you posted on the outcome.Thanks again.In the mean time, the ticket has been submitted, so I shall wait and see now.

Hmmm... I'm not sure but I've read multiple times elsewhere that the higher your post count gets, the less you earn MyCENTs. It might be this and not actually Shree lowering the amount. Although that is possible. Xisto isn't doing very well at moment in my eyes so they might want to save a little. I come to this conclusion since the domains also cost $3 more now. Can't be sure though.I haven't been posting a while so I can't really comment if the earning has slowed down.

yea, i was gonna mention where the old credit system made it harder to earn credits the more you had, but i don't think the new one does that. there were rumors of that spread, but in my opinion there was no evidence of that and i didn't see any noticable difference. with the old credit system, i remember when my credits were over 100, there was a drastic change to when i first got hosted and how easy it was to earn credits.i can tell you right now that coming from someone who has earned the most and probably still has more than most have stored, i don't see a difference. if i ever saw a difference, i would have commented on it by now because i do know that this was brought up in the past by another user who argued to the bone about it. i could never support that theory though.

Hi!I just got an email yesterday notifying me that I had just earned some myCENTs. In the past, when we were still Xisto and not Xisto, myCENTs would update almost instantly, but then it seemed to run after a couple of hours... if the myCENT script did indeed run without errors then I would believe that my postings were evaluated for myCENTs after a whole day. We do not really have all that many posts on the website to have the postings evaluated after every 24 hours, unless the script is really resource intensive and would slow down the site while it ran. I know I am just speculating because I am not really sure if that is how the myCENT script is actually scheduled to run.There have been posts indicating that the myCENTs that you earn go lower after you cross one thousand posts, but I am not really sure if that is true because I have not reached a thousand posts yet. I think that it is a kind of a dis-incentive for older members to go away. It is like saying, "If you have too many posts, I'm sorry - your brand has been used to promote our forum but now you're getting too old and we need something fresh... and *click* we just took down the value of your stock three notches."BTW, did anyone run out of myCENTs to pay for hosting and then get a loaner to get negative myCENTs in exchange for some dollars to buy web hosting? I was just wondering if it were possible because when the myCENT accounting scripts were taken down for about a month, a noticed a couple of folks on AstraHost (apologies if I have spelled it wrong, but I do not log onto there very often because I'm 'homed' at Xisto) who were from Xisto and they even did mention that they were there for earning some myCENTs to pay for the hosting.

Well, I don't know what happened, but it has certainly never happened before:I had a look here this morning, and my credit was still at 94.11, the ticket has also been raised, but no reply as of yet (By the way, on anwiii's advice I put it as "ATTN Opaque").Anyway, when I looked here just a few minutes ago, believe it or not, my credit had all of a sudden changed from 94.11 to 91.7 (in the next dollar, of course, I do not mean it has decreased).Now, as I said before, this is the first time ever my credit has made such a leap, I guess it was because it had remained unaltered for quite some time, although I had contributed by posting (like I normally do).But, no matter what, it has never happened to me before that my credits jumped up almost a whole dollar, could it have had something to do with a delay that I experienced on my MyCents account?No idea.In any case, I shall now await a reply to my ticket I submitted and se if an explanation can be found there.By the way, to the Americans on here: I wish you a happy Independence Day.

it could have been a delay. that is certainly an option. did you receive an email stating how many posts you got credit for? everytime the mycents updates, everyone should get an email stating how much it increased and how many posts it was for. this actually makes it a lot easier to account for all your posts(besides wondering if there was a change in the algorythm to calculate mycents)i decided to light off some cheesy fireworks and i ended up scaring the neighbor's dog heheheh