xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
justCurious

College Then Marines? Or Marines Then College?

I'm in high school right now and I've been thinking about going to college or going into the Marines, I already know i eventually want to go into the Marines, but would it be best to enlist right out of high school and do night classes while in the service or go into college and join NROTC and become an officer?Any feedback or advice would be appreciated, especially from guys/girls that have been in the same situation! :)

I think if it was me, I'd do the Marines first. For several reasons. First, with you still being in high school, you may not really have decided what you want to do with the rest of your life. A few more years and you might decided, so going to college first you might not take the courses you would need to help you in the future. And second, I think time spent in the service help to pay for your college education when you get out of the service, so why be out your own money by going to college first? If you budget your money carefully, put some back from every pay check while you are serving in the military, you will also have more money when you get out for college on top of what you will get from your service. It would be really great to have an education when you are done that you don't have to spend years and years paying off student loans.