xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
sheepdog

Finally The Tilling Is Done!

Boy, I just can't get a luck break to save my life. After weeks of waiting for a break in the rain so the ground was dry enough to till, hubby finally got it done yesterday, and then the monsoon rain hit. We had quite a bad storm last night. I have not been out yet to assess the damages, and I am not looking forward to that, I expect things are a mess. We had to put new tines on the tiller this year, and boy did that make a difference! Before it got pounded by the rain, the flower bed really looked good, the dirt was pulverised to a very nice fine consistancy. Looks good too, has a nice dark color to it. Guess hauling all that rabbit and goat poop up to it all these years is finally starting to pay off. For years it was mostly clay and rock. Gradually I have picked out some of the rock, I normally go threw it right after a fresh tilling and take out a few wheelbarrow loads of rocks every year. It still has a lot, this is of course, Missouri. Rocks are our best crop here. They grow really well. :rolleyes: There is just one big problem with the new tilling job. It threw a deep ridge of dirt right up on the fence on the back side of the flower bed. This spring I had just had my hired man go down the entire fence row and raise the wire so it would be 3 to 4 inches off the ground so that we could weed eat under it, since the bed is wide enough it's hard to work from the frount and get all the weeds that grow just under the fence. He had done a wonderful job, but it took him quite awhile, and we had to set quite a few more fence posts to keep the fence tight and high off the ground. Now the fence is burried under several inches of dirt again. I am so pissed! It's going to be a major pain in the back side to hand rake all that dirt back up the hill and out from under the fence. The grass is complicating the process, directly under the fence of course, it didn't get tilled, so that has to be all hand pulled as you rake the dirt, otherwise the dirt is very difficult to get raked away from the grass. It's going to take days to get it fixed back right. I had even contemplated taking our leaf blower to the dirt to see if I could just blow it out of the grass, but with the heavy rain we had, I doubt even our heavy duty blower will be able to blow mud. And just when I thought I might finally start catching up on my hosting credits.........