xisto Community
mrdee

Network Problems 1 machine cannot access another specific machine

I run Windows7 Ultimate, and 2 PCs and 2 laptops are running on it.Today, it came to my attention that 1 of the laptops is unable to access the other laptop on the network.The laptop in question is, however, able to connect to the Internet through the WiFi network, able to access the other PCs on the laptop and able to access the printers on the network too.The same laptop can also be accessed from the other machines too.The laptop that cannot be accessed also shows up under "Network".The only problem is, when trying to access the other laptop on the network it says "Windows 7 is unable to connect to ..... (name of the laptop)"."You do not have permission to access ..... Contact your network administrator."As far as I can see, all machines have permission to access files and folders on other machines and printers too.When I run the Sharing tool, it says permissions are granted to "Everyone".is there anyone who could make out what exactly is wrong because that machine cannot access 1 specific other machine?

First question, are all the networked machines using the same OS? All windows 7 or mix and match of win7, winvista, XP or others?Second, when using the network setup wizard, did you create a network setup wizard disk or usb stick? If you didn't use a disk or usb stick to setup the network wizard there may have been slight configuration differences due to service packs or updates present on one machine but not another.As for win7 I'm not too sure but I do know that in vista user access control sometimes caused network sharing problems. Try disabling user access control in your control panel and see if that helps. Do this on the machine that seems to have connection issues.Hope this helps :)

First question, are all the networked machines using the same OS? All windows 7 or mix and match of win7, winvista, XP or others?
Second, when using the network setup wizard, did you create a network setup wizard disk or usb stick? If you didn't use a disk or usb stick to setup the network wizard there may have been slight configuration differences due to service packs or updates present on one machine but not another.

As for win7 I'm not too sure but I do know that in vista user access control sometimes caused network sharing problems. Try disabling user access control in your control panel and see if that helps. Do this on the machine that seems to have connection issues.

Hope this helps :)

Hi Nate,
Yes, I thought I had forgotten to mention something.
All machines do indeed run Windows 7 Ultimate.
Also, i did not create a network disk/USB stick. :blush:

I will also try the step you advise.

Thank you, and I will get back to you.

Just wanted to add I re-ran the Network setup wizard and everything is all right now.
There is still the other network issue (if that is what it is, of course), which i have described in another topic and which you also kindly replied to.
Edited by mrdee (see edit history)