xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
predatorslayer

How I Make My Own Game Server

I want to make my own private server. But problem is i dont have any idea how to make it and the game itself what i heard is hard to make private. By the way if some of you ppl might know its about exteel. Plz help me i have no clue how it works. Plz teach me

The first important thing is the game you want to choose, this is very important because many recently released games like the COD or Battle Field doesn't let you to create your own dedicated server, they only let you to play the game in multiplayer mode using their network system, for example for playing COD Black Ops you should buy the sever from their suggested website and you can not create a dedicated game server for your own because the game just doesn't let you to do that, so if you want to build a game center then you need to have a powerful internet connection and then buy the server from the place that game publisher let you and then you can have your own server. they do this because of license, if they let people have their own dedicated server without letting the publisher know then they can use illegal copies and this is why many new released games are limiting peoples to use some specific server provider to be able to play the game in multiplayer mode. so before knowing anything about how to build a dedicated server it is very important to know which game you want to choose.After choosing the game you should know how many player you will have in your server because this is very important for the server you want to buy, for example counter strike is an old game and can be run on a PIII pc easily, but when it comes to server everything changes, in counter strike a low performance P4 PC with 512MB of ram will be able to handle 4 players easily but if you want to have 32 players in the game you need at least 2.8Ghz single core processor with at least 1GB of ram and 128kbps up and down links for each player for not facing any lag during the game (maybe with less down link). these were minimum for CS 1.6 and so if you gonna serve newer games then you need more powerful server, a dual or quad core cpu (core2quad / corei7 if you gonna have your server in home and quad core intel xeon or AMD Opteron if you gonna buy a dedicated server). if you gonna buy the dedicated server then you have to pay a lot of money but you can also set the server in your home with much less price but it makes some problems too, like good and stable internet connection and a separate PC which gonna be running 24 hours a day and etc, but you will have more control on it and of course building a dedicated server in home is so much easier.Now after you found / built the server you have to do some script works and run the server, this depends on the game, some games come with built in script like functions that let you to do anything you want without need of 3rd party softwares but some others need extra softwares. you should also find some type of anti-cheat software for the game you gonna run, so you will get more players in your server because no one likes to play with cheaters that hit you in the head while jumping with a sniper. after doing these things you need to work a little on the security of your server, you don't need to prepare your server for a huge attack but you should be aware that some players when get banned because of breaking the rules of the server start to attack server with some simple type of attack so with a little search you will find some softwares that will prevent your server from falling in trap of them. after doing all of these you can run your dedicated game server and enjoy playing game with your own friends (private server) or with peoples all over the world (public servers). and if you gonna run a public server never forget to build a website for it because by doing this you will get more players and of course with a little ads on it you can get some money too.

It really depends on what game you want to host. There are several options out there to try as far as hosting solutions go. I would recommend using VPS (Virtual Private Server) as they are the newest players on the field and can offer more than regular dedicated servers.Depending again on what game you want to host you can go to http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ and take a look around there to see if they can suit your needs. You can also request help by making an account and writing a ticket to ask what they can do for you.