xisto Community
Dee

Iphone Wi-Fi Not Functioning

I was recently able to set up an ad-hoc to be able to use my laptops internet with my iPhone. A few days ago it stopped working out of no where. The iPhone will see the wi-fi connection, but when I connect to it, it will not work. If I try using the Safari it'll say "Safari cannot open the page because it is not connected to the Internet."

I have tried searching online of what could be wrong and nothing has helped. I have reset the network settings on the iPhone, and that didn't work. I can use the wi-fi in other places, so I'm guessing that the problem is my computer. I have probably moved something, but to know what, I don't know.

I have tried setting up a new connection and it usually asks if I'd like to enable internet sharing, but now it doesn't. Could anyone help me out on this? Your help would be appreciated.

Try reinstalling Ad-hoc and if that doesn't work, you should probably upgrade your iOS.Or even consider a roll back of your comp if it's that important...

First of all i should say that windows xp can not handle two sharing connection itself, i mean it can not use a shared internet from another computer by ICS and then again share the current internet with another device again using ICS but this feature is implemented in newer OS like win vista and seven and you will not have any problem with that. the problem you have mentioned is something general, you should provide more details, first important thing is that you are using automatic IP and DNS config or manual ones ? if you are using automatic ones i recommend you to change to manual. i don't have an iphone but you should be able to set an IP and DNS for the connection your phone sees in somewhere in the settings. there should be something like advanced options for the wireless connection that your phone shows and you want to connect to, so set a manual ip address for your PC and Phone (if using ics in win7 you should use 192.168.137.XXX and in windows xp you should use 192.168.0.XXX) and then enter a public DNS like open dns or google dns (8.8.8.8) for connecting to internet.Another important thing is to check to see if you have shared the internet correctly, in both XP and seven when you share an internet connection you should choose destination of this sharing, i mean you should say that you want to share you internet through what network adapter (in your case your wireless connection). be aware that you can choose nothing and in some cases you will not receive any error but internet will not be shared so check to see if you have chosen the right connection. do not forget to choose a wifi encryption type, this is important too, i don't know why but in many cases when you set encryption to nothing the internet connection will not be working correctly and you will face some discontinuity and the connection will not be stable, so my suggestion is to at least use a simple WEP encryption which is supported by many absolute devices too. Now if your problem exists after doing all of above then you need to check by two other hardwares, first use another phone to see if you can use the ad-hoc you have created, any phone with wifi ability will be enough because all the phones that have wifi can accept manual ip and dns in their settings if the problem exist then problem is related to you wireless adapter, driver or windows which one of them is not acting normal, if you were able to connect to internet using the other phone then problem is from your iphone, after that you should search the solution in support forum of apple and i'm sure you will find a solution.

There are a couple of things that come to mind regarding this...1) I know of people whose Iphone's have lost WiFi (something about the chip I guess?) altogether, so that's definitely a possibility2) It could be the router being "frozen" and therefore not even properly registering IP's and signals3) There could be something blocking the phone from being able to correctly connect due to a weak signalOne of the first things I would do is try rebooting the router. Unplug it for around 10 minutes and then plug it in. I have to do that often with mine because devices will randomly stop working.