xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
mrdee

Creating And Displaying A Favicon How is this achieved?

I was wondering how you can make a favicon (I hope this is the right name for one of those symbols that appears in front of your URL).I seem to remember there used to be a freeware program called 'Favicon', but I think i tried it and it did not work out that well.So, can anyone point me into the right direction for making and displaying my own favicon (and also put me straight if I am not using the right name for that little icon)?Thank you very much in advance.

I was wondering how you can make a favicon (I hope this is the right name for one of those symbols that appears in front of your URL).

I seem to remember there used to be a freeware program called 'Favicon', but I think i tried it and it did not work out that well.

So, can anyone point me into the right direction for making and displaying my own favicon (and also put me straight if I am not using the right name for that little icon)?

Thank you very much in advance.

Yes, the small icon that appears in front of url is favicon. It is very easy to add favicon to your site. You can use any image, just don't forget to crop it to some size like 16X16

just keep the following code in your <head> tag of page. Replace href with your image source, and type as per your image, like image/gif for gif etc..

<link rel="icon" href="image source" type="image/png" />

There are lot of sites available on internet to generate your own favicon in .ico format, if you prefer ico favicons.

One i found is Favicon. Try it once

Thank you for your very useful advice.

I tried the favicon website and it worked right away.
However, it displays the icon on the top tab of the browser, but not in front of the URL, while in Internet Explorer 9, it is not showing anywhere at all.
Have I done something wrong?

This is the code I put in the <head></head> tags:

<link rel="icon" href="Pics/favicon.ico" type="image/ico" />

If you see a mistake anywhere, please let me know.

Thank you once again.
Edited by mrdee (see edit history)

Thank you for your very useful advice.
I tried the favicon website and it worked right away.
However, it displays the icon on the top tab of the browser, but not in front of the URL, while in Internet Explorer 9, it is not showing anywhere at all.
Have I done something wrong?

This is the code I put in the <head></head> tags:

<link rel="icon" href="Pics/favicon.ico" type="image/ico" />

If you see a mistake anywhere, please let me know.

Thank you once again.

Change the following code, it will work in internet explorer. Remove that image/ico, its not a valid mime type. Try the following code instead.

<link rel="shortcut icon" href="Pics/favicon.ico" />

Yes, it does work indeed.

Never knew it was that simple (If I had only known about the Favicon website before).

Thank you ever so much, you are a star.

I am really happy with the result, if you wish, see for yourself: http://www.vlaanderen-flanders.org.uk/

Thanks again.

You're welcome buddy. Ask me if you have any other doubts, I am glad to help. :)

And the one thing that I mentioned about the favicon not showing in front of the URL must be a Google Chrome thing.The favicon displays correctly before the URL and on the top tab in Internet Explorer and Mozilla Firefox.Nevertheless, I am very happy with your help.

Well, you can also add it with the following as well:

<link rel="shortcut icon" href="http://domain.com/filepath/favicon.ico" />

Actually I thought that if you upload the favicon.ico file to your domain root, it'd be automatically loaded, not sure tho.
You can also use a more sophisticated program to create your icons than an online editor. I use GIMP to create the image and save to .ico, I think Photoshop can do this too (I remember it needed an add-on earlier, not sure how it's done now).