xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
filmdesire

So '0' (Zero) Is An Even Number! I found out the other day that zero was an even number.

SO in Maths class the other day, my tutor explained how zero was an even number. -1 being an odd number, 1 being an odd number also, therefore 0 is seen as an even number. I wonder if it has any other properties, unknown to me - of an even number?Apparently according to WikiPedia, zero can be divided by two? Can someone tell me what that is. Also

Well, I suck at math almost as bad as I do on computers, heck maybe even my math is a little worse! But every other number has to be even. So the way I'd figure this one is that 1 is the first number so if zero is in front of it then it would have to be an even number. And then when you get to the number after 9 it's a 1-0 which is then divisible by 2. Funny, when you are counting up you never say 0. Nobody says 0 1 2 3. But when you are doing a countdown, you always use the zero. It's always 3 2 1 0.

The very definition of an even number is that you can divide it by two and retrieve a whole number (/ integer). 0/2 = 0, the value is true, making 0 an even number.If you wonder why you can't divide by zero, it's because the closer the number by which you're dividing is to zero, the closer the result gets to infinite, making for example 2/0 = infinite. Because infinite can't be used in regular math, you can't divide by zero.

yes zero is an even number and you can say many reasons for that, all the rules that shows a number is even is just true about this number and this is why it is even. for example if two numbers are even then this statement is true : A-B = even , this is completely true about zero as you see if you put B zero and A is even then the statement is completely true. as i remember i was really interested about why zero is even when i was in school and i can remember our teacher said he needs to go and search to find the best answer he can give to us, he told us the best answer is that an even number should be an integer multiply of 2, so you can see 0*2 = 0 so zero is an even number.

one of the interested things we see many times is that if a signal in x-y plane wants to be odd and in the same time crossing the x=0 line it needs to have y=0 when it crosses the line and this is very interesting. zero is really a real problem maker and dividing to it most times creates many failures and crashes in many softwares, so in some conditions you have to give softwares a real little number like 0.1*10^-9 to get rid of those errors and when you assume that as zero you will break the rule of being even and so this is creating many problems for scientists which have forced them to use other definition for numbers.

another interesting thing about zero is its evenness (which means how many times you can divide it by two, so more number of divides with integer results will make it more even), in zero you can divide it by two unlimited times so zero is the most even number in the world. now the image below is showing that how many peoples think zero is even if different years of school :

Posted Image

now as you can see many peoples know that zero is even but some peoples don't too and this is really funny that most teachers when you argue with them gets confused themselves and this is not a good thing. in my time there was no information about why zero is even in our books, so i think this is very important and teachers need to make sure all students know why it is even and they have to make sure all students are not having any doubt about it.

well, for some reason i always considered the number 0 as an even number ). but later when i was studying math and knew the rule about division by zero and retrieving a whole number (as bani explained before in his post) i knew why. and i think it is a reasonable explanation, at least for me, so 0 is an even number not an odd odd number.