xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
mrdee

What Does 'deprecated' Mean And How Do I Solve It? PHP functions not working

I was using EasyPHP and I had made an application to show, edit and process data in a MySQL table.I used Xlinesoft's PHPRunner for that.However, when I executed the login page of that setup, I was greeted with loads of errors, all sounding the same, and, as far as I can see, only concerning two different PHP functions: the function set_magic_quotes_runtime() and the function split().Underneath are the first 2 errors I get after logging in:post-46682-015754700 1298507661_thumb.pngThen, after that, repeated 26 times, is an error message, which looks exactly the same to me at every repeat:post-46682-056107500 1298507832_thumb.pngAnd at the bottom of the page I get a table summing up the error:post-46682-084807900 1298507999_thumb.pngI also get a similar looking, but slightly different error prior to logging in, but underneath, the login screen appears and allows me to log in, but then sends me to the page full of errors:post-46682-047469800 1298508327_thumb.pngI then tried the same thing, this time using WAMP, but it lead to the same results.I was wondering if that has something to do with certain functions not being switched on in PHP.I seem to remember from the days when I was young :D this had something to do with un-commenting certain lines in the PHP setup, but I have forgotten the finer details.If anyone could give me some help and guidance here, I'd be extremely grateful.

Edited by mrdee (see edit history)

I was using EasyPHP and I had made an application to show, edit and process data in a MySQL table.
I used Xlinesoft's PHPRunner for that.

However, when I executed the login page of that setup, I was greeted with loads of errors, all sounding the same, and, as far as I can see, only concerning two different PHP functions: the function set_magic_quotes_runtime() and the function split().

Underneath are the first 2 errors I get after logging in:
post-46682-015754700 1298507661_thumb.png

Then, after that, repeated 26 times, is an error message, which looks exactly the same to me at every repeat:
post-46682-056107500 1298507832_thumb.png

And at the bottom of the page I get a table summing up the error:
post-46682-084807900 1298507999_thumb.png

I also get a similar looking, but slightly different error prior to logging in, but underneath, the login screen appears and allows me to log in, but then sends me to the page full of errors:
post-46682-047469800 1298508327_thumb.png

I then tried the same thing, this time using WAMP, but it lead to the same results.

I was wondering if that has something to do with certain functions not being switched on in PHP.
I seem to remember from the days when I was young :D this had something to do with un-commenting certain lines in the PHP setup, but I have forgotten the finer details.

If anyone could give me some help and guidance here, I'd be extremely grateful.

What version of php are you using? The warnings happen because your php version is much newer than what the script was designed for. Your script uses old methods so its not fully compatable or not supported with the current version of php.

I'm still not 100% sure on what depreciation actually means but it could just mean it does still work but will probably not continue to work in further releases of php so the warning is displayed. I think you can try removing theses types of warning in your php settings. I did a quick search and one some examples you can try ..

http://forums.cacti.net/about36427.html

For all of you using PHP 5.3:Edit your php.ini and set error_reporting to:Code:error_reporting = E_ALL & ~E_DEPRECATEDAfter that edit /cacti/include/global.php and change line 196 fromCode:error_reporting(E_ALL);toCode:error_reporting(E_ALL ^ E_DEPRECATED);Do exactly the same in line 312 of file adodb-time.inc.php located in /cacti/lib/adodbNow restart your web server and you will see that all "deprecated" messages will be successfully suppressed.Best regards-Andreas-

Try setting the error warnings to ignore deprecated errors. You can probably ignore the other lines where it tells you to find the error_reporting() to set as it only applies to their specific scripts so with your own you need to locate where ever your error reporting scripts are set specific to your scripts. So it should be in two places your php.ini and where ever it is set in your php script as it will overwrite the php.ini setting.
Edited by sonesay (see edit history)

I did one thing which seems to have made a difference:I upgraded to the latest version of Xlinesoft's PHPRunner (version 5.3) and that made a lot of the errors disappear.I was stil working with version 5.1, which already goes back a while, and with having the latest version of WAMP and EasyPHP, I assume the PHP version they use was more recent than the one PHPRunner could handle.Although I must say there are weird things going on with me sometimes, depending which machine I work on:I have a PC and a laptop, both running the same OS (Windows 7 Ultimate) and both OS'es equally updated with the latest patches.I have often noticed that, when I do something on my PC, it works, when I do exactly the same on my laptop, it does not work, or vice versa.So, I guess that's something from my past haunting me or something, no idea, but that is the way it seems to be.But upgrading PHPRunner seems to have made a difference.