xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
web_designer

How To Work As Freelancer?

Can anyone suggest me how to start as Freelance writer in English?

Generally, you can just Google for freelance writing jobs. The best way to get jobs though would be via word-of-mouth. If you're good at what you do, people will talk, and that is your biggest sales pitch by itself.

You can also start your own site and use that (or other writing of yours) to help show people what you've done in the past. Many people, like myself, require multiple written pieces before we'll even consider taking someone on. This is because it helps ensure we're not wasting each other's time.

One thing I think I'll mention about freelance work - it can be hard to find, but when you do find some, it can be both good and bad. Here's some of my story... There's been a couple freelance jobs that sort of fell in my lap. Both times I had been doing some work for people on a volunteer basis, which I do sometimes to help out if I come to like/respect people that I meet online. Both eventually turned into a paying jobs, but in the end, both of them stopped paying on time and I lost out on money that should have been paid to me for work that I had done.I hate charging people in advance, because it just feels wrong to me (I'm probably too trusting of people) but people have used me to their advantage and then left me out to dry.So it's just a warning, if you are going to start freelancing for yourself and are handling your own money collection, then be aware that it's not always that easy to get people to pay you what was agreed on, contract or no contract. Even though I have it in writing that these people owe me money, it's not like I can afford to fight them in court when they live on the other side of the world. It's just not worth it, so I have to cut my losses and move on.---As for how to start being a freelance writer, I can also tell you a bit about that, because I've been doing that for years. I've had some success with it. At first I started writing for Constant Content, and sold around $1500 or so from there... but with their cut, you only get to keep 65% of the money, so that's like $975. That's a big loss in my books, so I decided I'd try and go at it myself and see how I do.It's been slow going from my own site, because I've been having to build traffic and clients while writing the articles, but I have made about $150 sales so far (Not a huge amount by no means, but my site is only one year old now) and things are finally starting to pick up. I'm expecting it to get better soon :) And I only have to give up the 3% or so that PayPal charges, so I'm very happy about that.I think like anything, as long as you stick with something long enough and give it enough effort, that you can make anything work out :) Some things are just a lot harder to get started than others.Good luck on your freelancing!

Thanks rpgsearcherz for this valuable piece of information.