xisto Community
Eza

Thoughts About Knowledgesutra. What is happening?

Problems and Opportunities.  

5 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

This section is to raise a voice against and in favour of a company. This topic deals with the company that runs this forum. It seems the moderators didn't contribute much to the forum for some time. During some weeks it seemed somebody with power options to delete a topic only came in here after a scam topic was posted. The receiving of myCents seems to have become very slow and not understandable anymore. Somebody complained that posts don't get the myCents anymore like they used to receive. People complain about the lack of useful topics to respond to.Maybe the members who have complaints have a point. Maybe these members need to change their attitude and start posting funny and positive responses and start topics about interesting subjects themselves. Maybe some members need to change their approach and become helpers of each other in stead of selfish persons. And very maybe the complaints have some reasons. And very maybe the company that owns the forum shows a little bit of a lack of interest.Since the company that owns the website of the forum didn't respond till now to all the complaints the members need to find solutions themselves. A solution might be that new moderators are needed. If enough people agree on that a message can be send to the owner of Xisto with a request for new moderators. Maybe the forum has become a free place for posters. And maybe this means a forum without any moderator is a funny place to stay. So in that case a request for new moderators would spoil the free and open place to post. Members with complaints and difficulties are invited to post about their difficulties in a very clear way. This might result in a combined effort of other members to find solutions. And if nothing else happens it might free the mind of the worried members that they could speak out their mind and that are heard by the community of the forum and it might be a relief that some other members show that they listen to them.And if the common opinion is that something needs to be done a combined action towards the owner of the forum might change something.So this topic is in favour of the owner of the company who provides a nice forum and a website for free after posting. And this topic is against the lack of interest if there is a lack of problem solving behaviour of the owner of the forum.

Edited by velma
Too much space between lines.. removed the excess space (see edit history)

opaque will not be around until mid december or so. then i think he is going to clean up the forum a litte. at least this is was he had told me recently. i will be patient until then. in meantime, i will be thinking of suggestion that will benefit the forum and i hope others can do the same so when the time comes for change, everyone can have a voice and opinion which will be taken in to consideration.how i see this forum is 3-fold. to give and take knowledge, to socialize, and to make money for the owner. notice i didn't include mycents. mycents will come when all those three things flow together in harmony. also, i didn't include mycents because if that was a key element, then there would be a lot more spam where people would just post useless things just for the mycentsi have all the faith in the world in opaque. he started a successfull forum back in the day. although this forum has been running on it's last legs, i believe he has it in him to revive it with the help of it's current and dedicated members. if he can't, or doesn't have the time anymore, he should release the responsibilities to someone else for the forum and member's sake. but again, if his heart is in it, i have no doubts opaque can accomplish anything he sets his mind to and i am wishing the best for this forum in the future.

It seems the moderators didn't contribute much to the forum for some time.
During some weeks it seemed somebody with power options to delete a topic only came in here after a scam topic was posted.

It's a sad fact that a lot of what I do on the forums at the moment is remove spam posts and topics (and although I can't speak for the other mods, I think we're all doing similar stuff). As Xisto is run on the very popular Invision Power Board platform, it is also very popular for spammers to write automated scripts for - they can target a lot of forums very easily. I set time aside each day to come on here, read posts, react to reports, reply when I can, etc. I also check throughout the day for reports to keep the forum as spam-free as possible. No-one wants to post in an environment full of spam and scams.

The receiving of myCents seems to have become very slow and not understandable anymore.
Somebody complained that posts don't get the myCents anymore like they used to receive.

These are things only OpaQue has control over at the moment. I'm sure he keeps an eye on the myCENTs being given out, but it is also heavily dependent on the revenue the forum generates. If the forum isn't making any money, there isn't anything to give out to members.

People complain about the lack of usefull topics to respond to.
Maybe the members who have complaints have a point. Maybe these members need to change their attitude and start posting funny and positive responses and start topics about interesting subjects themselves.

Maybe some members need to change their approach and become helpers of eachother in stead of selfish persons.

I think you have reached a good point. While members may complain about a lack of topics to reply to, there is a simple solution - make some. If you make a high quality, interesting topic about something that interests you then you will be encouraged to keep posting in it, and you will draw new members in. Sheepdog strikes me as an excellent example of this, and an example of how it works. Remember that a huge number of people find this forum from search engines, and posting a unique, interesting, well-written topic will cause it to rocket to the top of the search results, drawing in new members and replies.

A solution might be that new moderators are needed. If enough people agree on that a message can be send to the owner of Xisto with a request for new moderators.
Maybe the forum has become a free place for posters. And maybe this means a forum without any moderator is a funny place to stay. So in that case a request for new moderators would spoil the free and open place to post.

Moderators do not censor the forums or limit free speech. Members are free to post whatever they want within reason, as long as it is decent, well-written and follows the other rules. OpaQue's desire was always to have somewhere free and open for people to post and share knowledge, which is what we have.

Maybe some members need to change their approach and become helpers of eachother in stead of selfish persons.

I don't want to comment on anything else on your topic other than point of selfishness. Opaque himself cleared this already that everyone here is for mycents and there is nothing wrong with that. So if we're selfish then so he's because we're churning out content for him which is earning so much revenue for him and return getting these low mycent.Don't tell me this forum gets low SE attention and has less traffic. If that is the case then he reduced mycents just because he changed to new domain and saw the traffic lag i guess.

Only problem is that old members are not treated fair, they're getting less mycent values than newbies. By helping consistently for peanut mycents what old members are going to get ? karma ? Bull. Hardly anyone comes to solve problems of old and dedicated members, been there and seen that. When old members have problem they can't even use this forum to ask for solution because most of the time it's newbies or people who don't reply are likely to ignore that thread. I don't get mycents from this forum like i used to get few months back. Still wasting my bandwidth and time for other members. For much mycents ? 10-16 post=1$ mycent, 6posts=80 cents to 1 mycent. So how selfish of me ? What i'm going to get in return by wasting my bandwidth? these random 1-10 $ mycents a month ? yeah sure.

There needs to be a line drawn where to help and how much to dedicate time to forums. I'm using 2GB dialup connection and loading of this forum takes a lot of time for me, the gallery eats lot of my bandwidth but still i didn't made much fuss like you're doing. After reading this problem from myside i'm sure many other are going to screw me up by uploading many high resolution images, thanks guys in advance for that. I'm not complaining about these annoying pictures eating my bandwidth. Instead i'm joining you and having fun in this worst position, that was so selfish of me of enjoying in bad time. :D

Your threads seems to be doing the job of getting attention from admin and mods so i'm not against it. But whatever, please start threads in section where we earn mycent. Avoid spamming, i don't want anyone getting banned from this forum especially one who is entertaining this forum in one way or the other. :D

Yea, I definitely agree. I haven't been on all week because of Thanksgiving break, even though I swore I would churn up some good posts over the break because of plenty of time. Instead, I did just the opposite. I did not make any posts, probably because I saw everything else interesting, and then homework and stuffs like that. (I just snuck in some time between booking bus tickets and packing back to school) But I think what really turned me off was that it looked like I only made $1 myCents per seven posts prior to the break, likely on average, and I had expected to have it updated at least once every other day to once a day. If things keep happening like this, I probably won't be able to get at least the basic, basic web packet by the end of the month, but since Nov's closing already, then maybe by the end of the year. It's gonna get even more difficult for me to post more because of finals, assuming my usual procrastination doesn't kick in, as it's doing now. I think it's only fair that everyone gets an even footing, whether or not they are a veteran to this forum since way back the time this forum has started. It's not fair that the newbies (even though I'm a newbie myself) gets everything in the beginning, but once they've reached to a certain point, things just begin to taper off and then probably pushed aside as if they're an old member, assuming that's the case.I hope OpaQue comes back very soon and makes needed adjustments. :)

If you make a high quality, interesting topic about something that interests you then you will be encouraged to keep posting in it, and you will draw new members in. Sheepdog strikes me as an excellent example of this, and an example of how it works.

Is it actually working? I rack my brain sometimes for new topics that are of interst to the gang here, and a lot of times I can't get anything started up at all. Sometimes I think my brain doesn't work like the average persons. What I find of interest and is important to me nobody else gives a hoot about. I try to use current news topics that catch my interst on the TV news that I assume others are interested in, but it doesn't work to well. Oh well. I do try.

Is it actually working? I rack my brain sometimes for new topics that are of interst to the gang here, and a lot of times I can't get anything started up at all. Sometimes I think my brain doesn't work like the average persons. What I find of interest and is important to me nobody else gives a hoot about. I try to use current news topics that catch my interst on the TV news that I assume others are interested in, but it doesn't work to well. Oh well. I do try.

This is a suggestion to Misses Sheepdog. Maybe it is an idea to start to post about the things you like yourself. The recommendation is to try to forget for some time the idea that your topic starts need to be interesting for other members and visitors.

It is almost certain that in spite of the comments some of the topics might get about being not interesting there are some people who read your topics, love the themea and nevertheless they don't feel the need to reply and they still enjoy that they had the change to learn something about the opinion and the life of somebody else by your topics.

And even when this would not be the case topics that interest the topic starter add to the diversity of the forum. And diversity can be one of the things that attract different people.
Edited by Eza (see edit history)

Hey guys I know its been a while since I posted but I still return because this place is unique. The free hosting is just a bonus because the amount of content you can find here is more vast, diverse and of higher quality than most other forums I have been to. Sure there are others but sometimes they focus on only one topic of interest so you really only go there and leave after you found what you are looking for. In my opinion coming here shouldn't really just be about getting free hosting. You can get it at other sites (not sure i should say that here or even if its allowed). The hosting here isn't perfect but its good from what I remember... I'm not sure what happen to my hosting account but I was inactive for a long time due to stress of work and study so my account went over due and the last I remember I accumulated so much invoices that I couldn't even pay it with my cents. I worked out a deal to pay for a few months off the invoices just to get the data I have on my account since I lost all copies on my end. My portfolio site was up there and I needed it bad to look for a job. I dont particularly like how rude some people come across expecting the owner to cater to their every needs. This isn't a free service so don't expect that. Criticizing the moderators too when I know for a fact they help out when they can. Complaining isn't going to help you get help any quicker. Please just learn to be more patient and considerate. I'm sorry I just had to express my dislike for such behaviors. I was hoping maybe I could start over again in getting my hosting back up using mycents but by the looks of things it seems to be very bad here recently. I cant even log into my billing account using the password recover is this broken? I get the password sent to me but logging does not work. Other then wanting free hosting like most do I would like to network with people who share the same interest. I've progressed a lot during this year and have been developing in java, java fx mainly but I wish to return to PHP and I am currently picking up Zend Framework as well. It seems easier this time round since I have a much better understanding of software development principles. If anyones in need of any help with zend framework or wish to discuss about better programming practices using MVC then hit me up I would be more then happy to help. I have struggled with getting to grips with it in the past and would have liked someone to teach me the ropes in the begging but there was really no one. The best way to learn is through peers and teaching I think.I am pretty excited about progressing more and expanding my knowledge here so I hope this place keeps thriving. I hope to hear about all the exciting projects everyones been working or currently as I am naturally curious about others.

This is a suggestion to Misses Sheepdog. Maybe it is an idea to start to post about the things you like yourself.

You know, that is actually very good advise! Thanks. I suppose it certainly isn't going to hurt anything if I yak about dogs (or goats or gardens) since nobody has to read it. And maybe someday some other dog person or farmer will come along and will feel more at home with somebody else here to talk about something other than computers. :) Certainly worth some consideration.

I dont particularly like how rude some people come across expecting the owner to cater to their every needs. This isn't a free service so don't expect that. Criticizing the moderators too when I know for a fact they help out when they can. Complaining isn't going to help you get help any quicker. Please just learn to be more patient and considerate. I'm sorry I just had to express my dislike for such behaviors.

Really ? You want us to have patience for more than 8 months for low mycent distribution ? No admin control over forums ? no moderation over posts ? Thanks, no wonder you returned to this forum after so much time calling others rude.

If it's not free service then why this forum makes money based on user content and gives out domains and hosting for that. If this is how this service is working then every user has right to ask for low mycent as it is his or her content. Why not criticize moderators if they don't pay attention to lowering warning to members after say 1month or so ? why not criticize admin if he prefers to keep this forum dead for more than 8 months ? do you understand the 8 months inactivity ? if not, then go ahead call us names or call us rude if you wish to. You have no idea about buggy forum, ignoring admins and moderators because you're coming here after long time assuming same environment like you left earlier.

You have to understand that this place is close to dead. This forum is only kept alive by people who are either old or those who are hunting here for mycents. Else this forum is equal to those forums which are new or ghost town.