xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Eza

Millionaires The amount of millionaires.

The percentage of millionairs in the United States of America is said to be 1% of the population. Since there are about 300,000,000 persons living in the United States this would mean there are about 3,000,000 millionairs in the United States. But this doesn't match the numbers of other researches and inquireis. Other researchers mention a number of 7 million millionaires.

The most billionaires live in New York.

There are 10 million millionaires in the world.

This means that 1/3 of the millionaires to 7/10 of the millionaires live in the United States.

10 million is 0,2% of the population of the world of 5 billion.

Another source mentions a percentage of 0,15% of the world population.

Number of households with more than $1 million

Region .................... Number (2009)................ Percentage of regional population (2006)

Global: ........................... 10,000,000............................ 0.15%

North America: ............. 3,100,000............................ 0.62%

Europe: ...........................2,900,000............................ 0.41%

Middle East ...................... 400,000............................ 0.10%

Asia-Pacific: .................. 3,000,000............................ 0.06%

Latin America:.................. 400,000............................ 0.07%

Africa: ................................ 100,000............................ 0.01%

Wikipedia

Edited by Eza (see edit history)

Now that's a pretty wild fact! Why on earth if you had enough money to burn a wet mule would you ever live in a place like New York City????? It is certainly apparent from this statistic that having money doesn't mean you have any sense! If I had that kind of cash, I'd just buy me an island somewhere where I could be nearly all by myself without hardly any other people around to annoy me. I can't even imagine being crushed in the masses of humanity that team in a huge city like New York. Last place on earth I'd ever want to live.

I think that the problem is that you are using different sources who obviously have different opinions. No one really knows how many millionaires or billionaires there are in the world, and there can only be an estimate. The same is true when it comes to estimating the wealth of celebrities of other individuals, no one really knows. No one knows how much Bill Gates and Warren Buffet owns. There is a consideration in regards to money that could be hidden away in offshore bank accounts and unrecorded assets. On example, in the opinion of some people, is George Bush and *BLEEP* Cheney. Neither of the two man are listed as billionaires, but according to many people, they are billionaires. So I think that when discussing millionaires and how many are living in different parts of the world or how many exist within the United States, most of the numbers are nothing more than a rough draft...an estimate. I do find it hard for someone to be off by 4 million, but if you are viewing two different estimates than that is totally possible. We could look at the estimates from...lets say...the holocaust. Different people believe that more were executed and massacred, while others give lesser numbers.The most important thing to discuss when talking about multi millionaires, and certainly billionaires, is the large disproportion of wealth that it creates. If 1% or even 2% of the population own 60 percent, 70 percent, or 80 percent of the wealth, that certainly create a lot of problems. It places the vast majority of the resources in the hands of a few, and leave the others to starve despite the fact that such a vast amount of resources in the hands of a single individual is not needed in order to fulfill wants and needs. I guess the biggest problem in regards to the disproportion of wealth is that it is not only concentrated in the hands of a few individuals, but also a few countries. If you look at the richest countries in the world, most of them were colonial powers. There are a few exceptions, but the United States and Western Europe are overwhelmingly the most powerful economies in the world. China and India have powerful economies, but that has more to do with their potential created by population rather than their economic policies of capitalism combined with colonization. So the problem can not be addressed because it will challenge the life style of those living in wealth countries such as the United States and Europe, and that is simply something that no one in those countries wish for to be challenged. Even poor people within the United States and Europe level of poverty does not even come close to the level of poverty of those in third world countries and former colonized states in South America, Africa, and Asia. So the issue is every complicated when it is address on a global level. And plus, many people in the United States and Europe, especially in the United States, believe that somehow they have a good chance of being rich one day. Nevertheless, the statistics show that such an assumption is completely false and the vast majority of people born poor or born into a poor family, die poor. So unless you are a good athlete and entertainer, then chances are that you will not move any further than maybe one economic class up if you are born poor, and no class up if you are born middle class. If you are in the middle class, you are more likely to go down than up.

Heh I wouldn't figured most are in like Hollywood or something. XD
But yea If we're going to count "uni-millionaires," then we've got a pretty big questions. Like, is it net worth or just cash? Is it revenue or is it counting all of the properties? (Wait did I just repeat myself?) Anyways, in Vancouver (where I live usually) most houses around West Vancouver and New Westminster are millionaires; that does not necessarily make the owners "millionaires." Because idea of "millionaire" is so vague, we should try to focus more on the "multi-millionaires" and "billionaires" idea. That can give much clearer picture and also is much interesting topic =D

(Sorry if this doesn't make sense....?)

Jori,You are right - it is hard to determine who is a millionaire unless you first lay down some way of measuring their worth. Cash is rarely used as a measure because somebody could have lots of money in the pocket and it just stays there, but for someone else who bought gold with the money is still worth the same as the guy with the cash. Now, you have to consider the fluctuations in the gold prices when you say that the two people in question really are worth the same. This is still keeping it simple because when somebody buys a car, do you look at the value of the car a year down the line as the part of what the person is worth? Okay, suppose you do - then how can you determine the value of the car; do you look at the price of purchase, do you depreciate the car based on a useful life of 8 years, do you depreciate the car based on a life of 3 years considering that it has not had its periodic oil change, or do you depreciate the car considering that it has been in an accident and has been repaired once? And just because the value of the car is estimated to be a certain amount, can you be sure that the car will sell for that amount? What about considering the potential to make money in future? That certainly makes a guy with a job worth more than a guy who just inherited plain cash and is just sitting on it (I mean not investing it or anything).Variables that you can consider when determining the net worth of a person would be (a) the cash and an evaluation of all property he or she owns, after depreciation, (B) potential for future earnings, and © potential for future liabilities. You may find some other way to evaluate a person, but that's just it - evaluations are subjective and your list of top 5 richest people may not match my list.