xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
JaVe

Having Yourself Frozen... Cool, but...

AT times i would say to myself; being frozen for 1000 years? Cool, new technologies but...would cartoons even exist then? What about your crush? She'd be dead! There are emotional feelings that would pull you into depression. Television would probly be a thing of the past, simpsons would be full 3d and maybe even virtual. Sure you'd have like glasses with a universal operating system and 10gigabit wireless internet attached to it, but what about your good old pasttimes? People'd be robotized and cold, thered not be any feelings which you could share with someone else. Not knowing anyone around me would be sad actually. The only thing that could make it better would be to be frozen with your family and the person whom you want to spend the rest of your life with - that way you could wake up next to them! Still, i'd be damn sad if i woke up in a nuclear world with nanotechnology and there was no manual labor, the thing that would affect me would be being lonely... what do YOU think? Would you want to be frozen for 1000 years?

Hold on there with your assumptions! People predicted flying cars in the year 2000, jetson style! Calm down, things might not be so different as you think! As from not knowing anyone.. you can always meet new people. And your crush? That's just a crush! Crushes change, feelings change, even love changes.As for me, I don't want to be frozen. I'm completely happy where I am now in life, why mess things up? ;)

unless there's a compelling rationale why i should get frozen (like, my presence in the future a thousand years after would spell THE difference to the survival of the human race), i'd rather not. ;) today's reasons for such cryogenic adventurism are purely selfish and egoistic in nature. besides, it's impractical (how certain can one be that one will get frozen without maintenance and external intervention? automated robots? [they need maintenance and external intervention too, and what if ALL people want to be frozen? they go to the north/south pole? :P] )... and expensive as well [only Bill Gates can pull off such expense at the moment, and Michael Jackson (who would really want to live forever, i assume :D). but then again, MJ may be bankrupt after his cases get resolved.]i'd rather have science reincarnate me with my own memories and emotions, in a split-second, rather than have me wait for a thousand years and lose track of time and world events. a thousand years difference is quite a culture shock, due to uncertainty of events and circumstances in the future which may not necessarily sit well with our own personal values today. :D

I myself wouldn't want to be frozen for a thousand years. Not even one year! ;) I believe that we should live as long as we should and die when must. I mean if I was forced to be frozen, and then not found for 1000 years.. that'd be so wierd. It's really complicated to me. Would I be considered DEAD for those 1000 years. If so, that'd mean (by my beliefs) that I'd be in heaven. ..so all of a sudden I'd be sucked back in to live my life again?About the whole "crush" thing, I'm sure there would be someone else. There's plenty of fish in the sea, right? Also, it would be very very sad to know that your no longer with the family and friends you know. Though, maybe you could find the same people, but 1000 years later!?! If you were to be defrosted, the people of the "present" would be amazed. Because not only would they be proud of their life giving technology, but they'll be able to find out all about the "past" like what we had and didn't have. It would be a great experience having a second life as a celebrity. You can experience all the new cool things that they've created.. and you can be treated for all those crazy viruses and such illnesses. You could even write a book! Wow, that'd be a great book.I've though about this subject a lot, and it always make me think of Walt Disney. I'm sure that once we have developed such technology, he would be back in action.. and he'd see what has happened to 'The happiest place on earth'. :P I would not like to be frozen and resurrected mainy because , I don't want to have to deal with a second death. Death is one of my very little fears (aside from scary movies and michael jackson), but a second death is even scarier. I'd really rather just stay in heaven with all the cool dead people who lived good lives.But who really knows?-good post*props*

I think i might want to be frozen so i can view the future a bit and then i can die but i really want to see what it would be like 100 years from now rather than 1000 that would be a long time before i get to wake up again and then see the future. But i bet it will feel like it was the next day in your century when you get unfrozen. Cause your whole body freezes then you just wake up like from the dead.

Hmm yes, it would cost a lot and, i am also happy where i am now. It would be cool to see what things would be like in 1000 years - like you wake up, some robots greet you and ask if you want a mint. You go to the nearest pc? If there are any and trace back to your family in 2005 - how their life went etc.But also, if you were frozen it's like going to sleep, you get tired and bam you 're awake again, it feels like nothing when i sleep for 10 hours. But, like in vanilla sky, you could stimulate a dream of some sort; i like dreams if theyre good. Like a 1000 year lasting dream, another life in youre subconscious would mess you up i guess. ;)

Um what happens to your soul? Are you going to be frozen while you are still alive or are you going to wait untill you die and then have your body frozen in hope that they can bring you back from the dead in the future? Walt Disney is frozen, I wonder how he is doing? :)

haha good point dontmaimyourself! :)

No, it's not really. Even if one did have a female companion, the incest that would be unavoidable would result in many, many dead and/or seriously deformed/degenerated children, which would make the whole human race, or at least your part of it, a complete mess. Besides, without a doctor to perform the proper births, chances are your female companion would die after the first two or three children.

In any case, as was mentioned, how would a cryogenic capsule remain powered and maintained for 1000 years? Look at the last thousand years - there have been big changes, and I don't just mean technologically. Languages have come and gone, civilizations have fallen and risen again, etc. Chances are that, if there wasn't some kind of worldwide disaster that threw everyone back into the Stone Age, then the capsules would either be abandonded or destroyed during civil unrest or when the company in charge of the capsules was liquidated.

If one did, however, survive a thousand year sleep, the world would be so different, chances are you would never get used to it in what remained of your lifetime. Even more likely, you would die for being so different. If society relapsed, you'd either be seen as some kind of witch or other evil magical creature, or, if society remained and/or advanced, you'd be seen as a barbaric relic of the quaint past, unworthy of the time of the people who lived in the future. Futhermore, you'd have no idea how to speak their langauge, and by the time you learned, it may be too late to save yourself, whether it be from death or ridicule.

Well it does sound pretty scary, dont forget we all have one big problem on this planet, and that is that the population is growing far too fast! When people would freeze themselves in so they won't die, this problem will get a lot worse, because people just need to die to keep the world functioning correctly :>

The problem about being frozen for a long duration is that after you are er, un-frozen, people would no longer look at you as a human, rather as a novelty, a scientific instument. You take a person from a foreign country and put them on the other side of the world. Assume the placement country has never had a visitor from that of the world. The person would similarily not be treated as a human, but rather as a facination.

Edited by Cool_Freaker (see edit history)

Interesting topic. I agree with what JaVe, serverph and Cool Freaker have said. There are a lot of emotional reasons why you would dislike being frozen, and very few for wanting to be.Sure, there would be new stuff, but I mean, what difference is that? Instead of Pentium 4 processors we have Pentium 444. Sure, it's faster, but in that time period I'm sure it's just part of the everyday routine.The other reason would be to live longer, but what's the point in that? For all that time that you're frozen, it would be as if you were dead anyway, and you'll still have the same life span when you unfreeze, unless of course medicine has advanced to full on regeneration, or even reincarnation. But none of your other friends would be alive at that point, so there's not much point in thatAnd then there's the issue of what if something goes wrong? You're a goner. Sure, you'll go in your sleep, but that's not very reassuring.I just see a lot of cons and not many pros. I personally wouldn't do it.