xisto Community

Fate is something we made up. It is time to drop this leech which feeds on the soul. For progress we must throw off that which is of no use. I would love to hear any differences in oppinion.

Fate reminds me a lot about the book, Oedipus Rex. In this book, the concept of fate was used a lot throughout the book. There was a prophet who told Oedipus's parents that Oedipus was going to kill his own father and marry his own mother shortly after he was born. Well, the parents tried to avoid the fate and gave their son to a Shepard to be put to death. The Shepard never killed the baby but raised him. Oedipus later, without realizing that it was his father, he killed him. He also married his mother. He was completely oblivious about these two things. His attempt to avoid his fate actually led him closer to it.

I believe it is impossible to know if fate is real or not. In my opinion, if there were prophets in the world today, your fate would probably change if you chose to see a prophet or not. If you avoid seeing a prophet, you will not have anything to avoid.

I do not really believe in the concept of having a predefined destiny. I believe we have the right to make our own choices and live our life the way we want to.

Fate reminds me a lot about the book, Oedipus Rex. In this book, the concept of fate was used a lot throughout the book. There was a prophet who told Oedipus's parents that Oedipus was going to kill his own father and marry his own mother shortly after he was born. Well, the parents tried to avoid the fate and gave their son to a Shepard to be put to death. The Shepard never killed the baby but raised him. Oedipus later, without realizing that it was his father, he killed him. He also married his mother. He was completely oblivious about these two things. His attempt to avoid his fate actually led him closer to it.

I believe it is impossible to know if fate is real or not. In my opinion, if there were prophets in the world today, your fate would probably change if you chose to see a prophet or not. If you avoid seeing a prophet, you will not have anything to avoid.

I do not really believe in the concept of having a predefined destiny. I believe we have the right to make our own choices and live our life the way we want to.

Oedipus Rex, to me, illustrates the power of words and the power of suggestion. It could be said that Oedipus's parents belief in the prophecy brought it to pass. Parents naturally love their children, yet when acting out of fear you create those things you are trying to avoid.

Prophets, witches, and the like only have power in your life where you give it to them. A true prophet or holy man does not want control, thus he need not threaten dire consequences to create fear. Threats of Hell and punishment are to create fear which gives the person with the magic book or hat control.

I believe destiny is something we decide for ourselves. I agree with your outlook on our rights, and I would add the right to be happy.

Thanks for the quick response!

Oedipus Rex, to me, illustrates the power of words and the power of suggestion. It could be said that Oedipus's parents belief in the prophecy brought it to pass. Parents naturally love their children, yet when acting out of fear you create those things you are trying to avoid.

Prophets, witches, and the like only have power in your life where you give it to them. A true prophet or holy man does not want control, thus he need not threaten dire consequences to create fear. Threats of Hell and punishment are to create fear which gives the person with the magic book or hat control.

I believe destiny is something we decide for ourselves. I agree with your outlook on our rights, and I would add the right to be happy.

Thanks for the quick response!

This is VERY arguable but I believe that the fact that Oedipus' parents went to see the oracle brought them to their horrible fate. If they had never visited the oracle, then the prophecy might have not come true since it was the prophet who told Oedipus' parents that his son would kill his father and marry his mother. The parents would never have given their son to the Shepard.

It really depends on the perspective. Some people believe that it was fate that brought them to visit the oracle which leads them to their fall. Maybe some people believe that the characters actions change their fate.

Maybe some people believe that the characters actions change their fate.

Fate means to have a pre-decided destiny, changing fate would mean that our destinies are not set. If it is not set, then it is not fate. Even if fate were a reality we wouldn't know what is would be, and it would be a waste of time trying to figure it out.

I think you can never proof fate exists or not, as you can always say it was your fate to do that or not to do that, even though it seems strange that it can exist, you can always generate a random letter or number, but do you really?throw a coin, you'll always have a chance of 1/2 if you throw it several million times.. it will never be that you'll get heads all the time, as if there is order and no chaos. I personally don't believe in FATE, but I can't prove anything..

i somedays believe in fate and somedays not :D.really i can't say what is fate and if one thing that is happening is your fate or not. every time i succeed in my work i think it's not fate and when i fail i think it's my fate :P.but i believe in fate more than chance. if you think in chance you should do nothing that you feel you will fail but if you belive in fate you will do that thing and if you failed it's your fate :D .

Fate is something we made up. It is time to drop this leech which feeds on the soul. For progress we must throw off that which is of no use. I would love to hear any differences in oppinion.

Well, we need to be clear about meanings.
Fate is often used to mean 'predictable result'. In that sense it seems to me to be fine.
However, it is often used to mean 'predetermined outcome/result'. I would certainly argue with that, but I honestly do not see how Christians, and other mono-theists can.
As an atheist I have no belief in a Deity and I do not believe in predestination or determinism - other labels for 'fate'. If you believe in an omniscient and omnipotent God, however, it is impossible to logically defend any notion of choice/freewill. Christian theologists normally gloss over it by just stating that 'God gave us freewill' - but that is simply begging the question.
If God knows everything you will do throughout your life (and he must, if he is omniscient) then what you will do in 10 years time at a particular time and place is already known. If it CAN be known then it must be predetermined - by definition. In other words, your 'fate' is already decided.

well i believe in fate 100%. i don't think all experiences in life are determined by fate though.... only the experiences that fullfill a unique purpose. being born and dying are the obvious ones in my mind. i believe there is a unique purpose to why everyone is born. since death is connected to birth, i believe fate will determine death. another experience i believe that is predetermined is soul mates. in other words, meeting your other half. most of our lives however are determined by free will. as i believe in fate, i also believe in the tests we are meant to go through to fullfill our own purpose and destiny. just because i believe in fate doesn't mean i believe everyone completes their unique purpose in life. that is decided by free will and how we use our strengths we are born with and how we learn from our weaknesses through the mistakes we make.my thoughts go a lot deeper than simple statements of opinon, but i just wanted to state my opinion in simple terms. i think it's a shame when people can float through life choosing not to be accountable for the choices they make using freewill as an excuse to do whatever they please. i also think it's more of a shame when they don't believe in anything higher than themselves and don't think they were born with a unique purpose in life and waste their lives doing something that isn't fullfilling themselves or helping others. they ignore the clues and become creatures of habit so to speak or what i call lost souls.if i were to believe in science alone, then i might as well kill myself now because it's an undisputed fact that technology and the people support it without any given thought of any higher purpose is killing this planet. i wont see it in my lifetime, but because there is fate and a purpose for the living, there is also a fate and purpose for this world we live in. because of that, the "believers" will be recycled wiser and stronger to guide and protect where technology will eventually die or in a more realistic view, be controlled better.can i prove a thing called fate? nope. nor can a prove something i feel deep down inside me that is real. almost like my soul is talking to me and any energy connected to it is guiding me. i am really sorry that other people don't experience certain things in their life or pay attention enough to know there is more out there. it's sad whenever i see someone floating through life without knowing their true purpose and refuse to believe in the possibilities. those are the people who will teach their children that it is not true that anything is possible. that is a shame because that belief alone limits themselve and those around them who are affected by their blind beliefs

Fate i relate it to the mysteries of life which come in light when the time is right...Such concepts are more about personal belief..some don't trust it at all..but some are depended on the fate..I personally feel that we are all destined to be here for some unique reasons..and the fate will always come in the track when the time of reward comes for any action..We see in the everyday life that some people really work hard and do not get the desired results but on the other hand some may not work so hard but get the better results...Now some people would say it is the direction which is wrong..but sometimes the direction is also right but the fate never allows to get what we desire ..But i also think that sitting ideal just in trust that the fate will work for u always ..is wrong.Fate will always give u lesson and show u the path .. to reach your destinies and the unique purpose of life..which is not clear to any one of us...but when u reach there ...satisfaction is always attained

Fate i relate it to the mysteries of life which come in light when the time is right...Such concepts are more about personal belief..some don't trust it at all..but some are depended on the fate..I personally feel that we are all destined to be here for some unique reasons..and the fate will always come in the track when the time of reward comes for any action..
We see in the everyday life that some people really work hard and do not get the desired results but on the other hand some may not work so hard but get the better results...Now some people would say it is the direction which is wrong..but sometimes the direction is also right but the fate never allows to get what we desire ..
But i also think that sitting ideal just in trust that the fate will work for u always ..is wrong.
Fate will always give u lesson and show u the path .. to reach your destinies and the unique purpose of life..which is not clear to any one of us...but when u reach there ...satisfaction is always attained

This is contradictory. On the one hand you say that 'satisfaction is always attained' and on the other you say that fate never allows us to get what we desire. Which is it?

If you believe in fate then there is no point striving for a better world - fate has already decided. It is those who do NOT believe in fate who struggle to make the world a better place - why would one struggle against fate? That would be futile.

You cannot have both fate and freewill - the two are mutually exclusive. If you have freewill then nothing is predetermined - ie there is no 'fate'. If things are predetermined (destined to occur) then you cannot have freewill, because you would be able to ensure that they did NOT happen.

This is contradictory. On the one hand you say that 'satisfaction is always attained' and on the other you say that fate never allows us to get what we desire. Which is it?
If you believe in fate then there is no point striving for a better world - fate has already decided. It is those who do NOT believe in fate who struggle to make the world a better place - why would one struggle against fate? That would be futile.

You cannot have both fate and freewill - the two are mutually exclusive. If you have freewill then nothing is predetermined - ie there is no 'fate'. If things are predetermined (destined to occur) then you cannot have freewill, because you would be able to ensure that they did NOT happen.

Well thats what humans are :) we just want to try out being every little thing...But as we grow and as we gain experience in life..we are less contradictory ..
You are correct in sayin that either just leave up to fate or work hard.But that is human..if things go wrong we blame the fate...and when our efforts are payed off well..we say..i was good so i got it..
I still won't say that i don't believe in fate..I do..but i also believe in hard work....how contradictory but this is the way i think :D

Well thats what humans are :) we just want to try out being every little thing...But as we grow and as we gain experience in life..we are less contradictory ..You are correct in sayin that either just leave up to fate or work hard.But that is human..if things go wrong we blame the fate...and when our efforts are payed off well..we say..i was good so i got it..
I still won't say that i don't believe in fate..I do..but i also believe in hard work....how contradictory but this is the way i think :D

i think everyone believes in hard work. no one can say this is my fate because i'm lazy and i don't want to try. but sometimes you try so hard (i suddenly remembered a song from linkin park :D ) and it doesn't matter what you do you can't get something to work as you want, these times i say this is my fate. sometimes some people are using fate as an instrument to force you not trying for something, this is why everyone who believes in fate should be careful.

this is not my fate to not getting any mycents for my posts so i will try so hard till i get some :D .