xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Necrfenser

System Can't Detect My Dvd-Rom

Yesterday my system cannot detect my DVD ROM. I have NEC ND-3540A DVD ROM. In My Computer there isn't my DVD-ROM drive, but my drive is OK, I can open it with button on DVD drive. Also in Device Manager is situation like in this attachment. As you can see in drives at CD/DVD Rom section have !, also it says that drivers for DVD-ROM are not ok, but there isn't need for DVD-ROM drivers on XP. I found firmware for my drive, but I can't install because he can't find my drive... Right now i checked my BIOS, and there he detects DVD-ROM, BIOS can detect, but Windows XP can't. Can you help me? Thanks!post-109138-055178700 1287912638_thumb.jpgpost-109138-051258500 1287912929_thumb.jpg

Edited by Necrfenser (see edit history)

This generally doesn't happen , Since windows XP is suppose to load all these drivers by default. You just wrote about one DVD drive but the Device manager shows up two . Is the second one a virtual drive or is it there physically ? You should try removing the drivers manually (in Device manager > Right Click > uninstall) and then scan for hardware changes. This will try reinstalling the device automatically. But If It asks you for any Drivers, I don't know what you would do :) since both of your drives (according to Device manager) are not working Lets just hope it picks up drivers automatically and installs them Otherwise, You could go to the manufacturer's website and see if they have any specific drivers for their drives. NOTE : I won't recommend you trying to upgrade your DVD-ROM's firmware right now. If it were the firmware's fault you won't be seeing it in the BIOS itself. Your OS (XP) could be the culprit, try running a live CD (Ubuntu) and see it works properlyHope this helps

I have 2 Hard Drives on my computer running Windows 7. One of the 2 H.D. all of a sudden stopped detecting the DVD ROm drive. It simply disappeared from the computer, although I can still open the tray by pressing the button. I thought it might be a corrupt driver ( cdrom.sys) and I replaced it with a copy of the supposedly good driver from he other H.D. It doesn'work! I also disconnected and reconnected the cable, to no avail.It can't be anything wrong with the drive itself, though, because it works perfectly from the the other H.D. operating system. I am really stuck because I cannot re-Run the Windows CD neither can I recover the drive image I had backed up, because it still requires inserting the boot disk of the backup software ( Paragon Backup).Can anybody help?Thank youIttiandro