xisto Community
ManifestMW2

Windows Xp Or Windows 7 Ultimate

Which one do you guys prefer? XP or 7 UltimateI heard that XP is the best OS and its "Stable"
but i like 7 Ultimate and it has better grahpics than XP
So whats your guys opinion about it?

Hi manifestmw2, I have used both XP and Win 7 Ultimate for quite some time, thus, I would prefer XP over Win 7 Ultimate only if the system configuration is less powerful, but, if you have a very good system configuration like fast ram, descent graphics card, etc. then no doubt win 7 is better as the good graphics interface comes with a price.

One more thing I would like to tell you, that if you are installing win 7, then in most of the cases you will not need to install additional drivers as win 7 is already packed with drivers, so, just after the installation you are ready to use it ;)

I prefer either or, but I since I only have premium it is good enough for me. However, if I wanted to upgrade my machines I would go as far as the business version since it is more practical for my needs and of course it has Virtual XP. Of course, XP still has a long shelf life thanks to the hate Vista got and still has, however, because of how Windows 7 has been running for me at least. I want to see people start switching over to it, not because of IE9, but it is more stabled and more secure then one would think.

I think although Windows7 is faster and better in terms of feature, but XP has that home feel that you can never get with any other OS. I've been using XP for past 3-4 years and I really think it was worth the upgrade.

Both OS are good.XP hand runs faster if you have older computer (at least 5years ago model) but it was limited to use 3GB of memory regardless of how much memory you really gave. It is also stuck with directx 9.c which render your new video cards to run at half it's capacity.Windows 7 on the other hand have issues with default drivers when you boot from DVD which is commonly found on Samsung WriteMaster drives (if you have the driver intact somewhere, you can load it up while on the installation screen). You are no longer stuck with directx 9.c but you can use the latest version of it enabling your video card to run at optimal. The 3 GB memory limitation was removed. Windows 7 also runs faster than windows XP on average computer with at least Pentium D or an equal AMD processor model as long as you have at least 3GB memory.The advantage of Windows 7 have some negative impact on driver supports which is minimal at this time and the OS have a few problems with USB devices amd phone/camera memory cards.

Edited by vhortex (see edit history)

I had ol' Intel Pentium 4 (Windows Xp) installed in my computer when I got it like 5-6 years ago, got it for like $1000 bucks with the monitor,printer,speakers and video card and everything. It was like the fastest computer back then, i never ever had a single problem with it. XP was blazing fast too. During these 6 years, I have NEVER EVER changed my computer, only my OS. I installed Windows 7 Ultimate on it like a year ago. I noticed that the computer was a wee bit slower than XP, so I got a better video/gfx card and more RAM. It started working faster than XP now, even with all the eye-candy turned on. So, yea, Windows 7 is worth the price and the upgrading with the ol' computer. I don't think I would ever go back to Vista or XP again. B)

Hi manifestmw2, I have used both XP and Win 7 Ultimate for quite some time, thus, I would prefer XP over Win 7 Ultimate only if the system configuration is less powerful, but, if you have a very good system configuration like fast ram, descent graphics card, etc. then no doubt win 7 is better as the good graphics interface comes with a price.
One more thing I would like to tell you, that if you are installing win 7, then in most of the cases you will not need to install additional drivers as win 7 is already packed with drivers, so, just after the installation you are ready to use it ;)

lol i already have win 7 i've installed it like a year ago

Both OS are good. Without much security upgrades and Service Pack 3 i have managed to hold the system so far. I access internet from it as well. It is working fine for me. After using windows 7 i have realized that soon i have to switch to 7 anyway. I don't know when but sooner or later. It is one good OS with low RAM requirements still comes up with good graphics. There is no need to hurry for the upgrade though. So i'll go with windows XP for now but yes windows 7 is in mind.

I agree that both systems are good, I personally use Windows 7 Professional and XP SP3, so I only can suggest to use Windows 7 on a newer hardware, it will run more smoothly and will use the new capabilities of the new hardware, if you have a n older system, when stay with XP as it's a quite good OS.. On an older computer windows 7 will usually work, but it will require a little more resources and the effect will be the same, if you'll turn of a lot of Win7 features. :PSo if you bought a new laptop/desktop and don't want to use Linux, go with Win7, I think most of users don't even need Ultimate or Enterprise versions, Home premium will be enough. Even though I am using Professional, but I dount I am using all the features it is offering.Furthermore, if you bought a new hardware and it's x64, use the Windows OS which is for x64 processors. As there might be problems with drivers, even though it seems that everything should work on a 64bit system, any application which is 32bit, but sometimes it doesn't work due to some problems, of course there might by solutions.

I'm sure that new release of windows will force 32 bit users to upgrade their hardware. Most of the operating system after 2011 will likely to be 64-bit. Just my theory and there is no proof i can give for this. I'm just getting some hints based on some other operating system release. Windows 8 or whatever the name is likely to force 64-bit OS on market. How and which way they will manage this is not what i have studied so far. So have to read from the experts about this.

If you prefer windows 7 on windows xp just because of its graphics then i think it would be better to stay with windows xp because the graphics of windows 7 are all available to be added to windows xp. I recently came across a "Windows & transformation pack for windows XP' which was mind blowing. You wouldn't even feel that you are using windows xp and not windows 7. So graphics should not be such a factor that you cost some 300+$. I have read a lot of articles about comparison of windows xp, windows vista and windows 7. What I have concluded from my research is that windows xp is the fastest but windows 7 is the most stable. So if you can sacrifice speed (which is not much different) for stability and obviously if you have money in your pocket then you should go for windows 7. You won't face any problem regarding the compatibility of applications of windows xp with windows & because there is a Windows XP mode in windows & which alleviates this problem. But if you do not wans to spend money just for a little more stability and Exotic graphics (which can be obtained on XP as well) so i prefer you stay with windows xp and wait for the upcoming Windows 8 which is supposed to be a major major hit in the industry.

Transformation packs usually slow down the system. And if system shell gets crashed then there is issues with replacing all the files from backups. This is what i found annoying. windows 7 features are much improved over XP and sooner or later we are going to upgrade to new system anyway. So it is better to upgrade and settle with new OS than keeping up with unsupported one.

Experience and comparision:Windows XP proved to be slow. And Windows 7 is real fast. 1 Of the disadvantages of Windows 7 is that it needs a heavy computer with modern specifications. Windows 7 gets hickups and stops for a few minutes once in a while on a small and light laptop. And the looks of Windows 7 with Aerio are much nicer. Compared to Windows 7 the good old Windows XP looks very pale when watching videos on a flat screen.So what is the advantage and what are the better features of Windows 7 Ultimate compared to Windows 7 Home Basic? Because the topic starter specifically asks for Windows 7 Ultimate.

I never believed that XP can run faster than Windows 7, even on mu computer built since 2002 can run Windows 7 faster. The speed of Windows XP have a maximum speed gain, this is not related to the hardware but to the OS kernel. Windows XP is way very limited on the resources it can use like maximum speed for video cards, maximum memory and maximum hard drive speed write.The statement that Windows XP can run faster is if you really plan to test is on below average computers that are made more than 5 years ago.

I prefer Windows 7 Ultimate , my laptop need some good stuff , Intel Core Duo CPU , 4.00 GB RAM , NVIDIA GeForce GT 130M ......so my choice is W7 Ultimate.